This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
    I demand a depressing, negative, gloomy story from you.
    Ha! You sure? I could tell you about losing my parents, that is plenty depressing and not something I particularly enjoy reliving.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
      wtf? It's not like Jeter was a polarizing figure on the Yankees....I've never heard of anyone say that before lol

A-Rod is another story. You either like him or hate him...but Jeter??! Universally loved!!
      I was already fed up with Jeter by the time A-Rod got there and wasn't watching anymore. So I have no real feelings on the whole A-Rod in NY thing as I didn't care at that point.

Pretty dumb to have the superior defensive SS at the time to move to 3B so Jeter could keep pretending to play SS.

Comment

lol that's not true. He's pretty much the best SS to ever play...WITH the accomplishments to back it up.
        Ha! Best? Wasn't even the best when he played. Calling him a SS is a brutal abuse of the term. Like calling Nokes a catcher because he squatted behind the plate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudy View Post
          I drove from Virginia to Louisiana. 16 hours!!
          Sounds horrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
            I assume you're joking....
            I'm sorry, but I cannot be friends with someone who is insulting to The Princess Bride.
            I just don't need that kind of negativity in my life.
            Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
              Ha! Best? Wasn't even the best when he played. Calling him a SS is a brutal abuse of the term. Like calling Nokes a catcher because he squatted behind the plate.
              I feel like we're talking about 2 different topics or something. You're so off-base. Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean you can call them bad at everything.
              I hated Pedro Martinez, but, I'm not stupid enough to call him a horrible pitcher....
              Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

I feel like we're talking about 2 different topics or something. You're so off-base. Just because you don't like someone doesn't mean you can call them bad at everything.
                I hated Pedro Martinez, but, I'm not stupid enough to call him a horrible pitcher....
                If you think Jeter was a good defensive SS, then you have very little ability to judge good defense in baseball. He was a good, not great hitter, he was an adequate defensive player. He had a knack for making big plays, many of which would have looked routine if a good defensive SS was playing there. The only plus skill he had on defense was his arm and even that did not separate him that much above others who played the position. I did not say he was bad at everything, but to call him the best is beyond laughable.

Comment

If you think Jeter was a good defensive SS, then you have very little ability to judge good defense in baseball. He was a good, not great hitter, he was an adequate defensive player. He had a knack for making big plays, many of which would have looked routine if a good defensive SS was playing there. The only plus skill he had on defense was his arm and even that did not separate him that much above others who played the position. I did not say he was bad at everything, but to call him the best is beyond laughable.
                  5 Time Gold Glove winner
                  5 Time Silver Slugger

Those are awards based on hard stats, and not up for debate.

The guy essentially invented the jump throw, and yet even as his arm deteriorated, still managed to be one of the best defensive SS ever.

jmike, I could do this all day with you, but you're oh so very wrong about it all. I don't even like baseball anymore, but this is all common knowledge stuff
                  Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

I'm sorry, but I cannot be friends with someone who is insulting to The Princess Bride.
                    I just don't need that kind of negativity in my life.
                    No ....More like insulting "Finding Sarah Marshall" when compared to the Godfather.
                    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Ha! You sure? I could tell you about losing my parents, that is plenty depressing and not something I particularly enjoy reliving.
                      No no, about Jeter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                        No ....More like insulting "Finding Sarah Marshall" when compared to the Godfather.
                        You STILL said you "sat through" Princess Bride!

For the record, Forgetting Sarah Marshall was hilarious....

and I think that Sarcasman was being....wait for it....SARCASTIC about comparing it directly to the Godfather!
                        Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

You STILL said you "sat through" Princess Bride!

For the record, Forgetting Sarah Marshall was hilarious....

and I think that Sarcasman was being....wait for it....SARCASTIC about comparing it directly to the Godfather!
                          Thus the "joking" comment.
                          Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

5 Time Gold Glove winner
                            5 Time Silver Slugger

Those are awards based on hard stats, and not up for debate.

The guy essentially invented the jump throw, and yet even as his arm deteriorated, still managed to be one of the best defensive SS ever.

jmike, I could do this all day with you, but you're oh so very wrong about it all. I don't even like baseball anymore, but this is all common knowledge stuff
                            Gold gloves were rarely won by the best defensive player. There was always a notoriety element to it.

The silver sluggers he deserved, since most teams put good defensive players at SS he usually didn't have a lot of competition.

You can do this all day. It won't change the fact that Jeter was a vastly overrated player. I did not say he was a bad player. But he is not the best SS of all time. Just like Eli is a great player but would be vastly overrated if somebody called him the greatest QB of all time. Add that Jeter is a scumbag of a human being, and he is just not a player I can root for. His PR machine is a good one, I'll give him that because he is a sleaze ball of the first order.

Comment

Gold gloves were rarely won by the best defensive player. There was always a notoriety element to it.

The silver sluggers he deserved, since most teams put good defensive players at SS he usually didn't have a lot of competition.

You can do this all day. It won't change the fact that Jeter was a vastly overrated player. I did not say he was a bad player. But he is not the best SS of all time. Just like Eli is a great player but would be vastly overrated if somebody called him the greatest QB of all time. Add that Jeter is a scumbag of a human being, and he is just not a player I can root for. His PR machine is a good one, I'll give him that because he is a sleaze ball of the first order.
                              Gold Gloves are voted by managers and coaches. Even if the votes were close, it means you were the best, or at least 2nd best.....
                              How can someone be overrated when they are perennially viewed as one of the absolute best players around.....and when that happens for the bestter part of 2 decades, it means you're one of the greatest ever.

Eli has never once been viewed as the best QB in the NFL. that's a bad comparison. Jeter was consistently viewed as the best, on both sides of the ball, which is INSANELY rare for a SS.
                              You either have guys there for their defense, or guys who can hit well who might be a defensive liability. Jeter was one of the best at both....I don't even see how it's an argument. The institution of baseball agrees.
                              Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Ill never understand how people like MH and Jmike can stop loving their team because a player leaves or they hate a player that much.

Tommy Cacks is gone, Im still in mourning but Id never stop rooting for my Giants

I guess I keep it real

Comment

Working...
                                X