This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
    I've literally never heard of anyone calling Jeter overrated.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstj.../#5fa538176d1a

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/02/dere...e-hall-of-fame

http://grantland.com/features/the-tr...jeter-defense/

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
      It is but I'm on the record as being with jmike on this.

He's not a premier defensive shortstop and never was. I don't have the whole "he's a sleazebag of a human being" thing going, because I don't give a toss about him personally although he certainly has no shortage of gobblers....

So, rather than go round and round I will reiterate what I said earlier in the thread:

Very good hitter, good defensive player but far from a great one and an uncanny ability to make big plays and particularly to significantly raise his game in the playoffs.
      You'd be hard pressed to find other SS with that kind of longevity who CONSISTENTLY contributed to the success of his team.
      Cal Ripken is viewed as the other best SS ever, but, was less impressive offensively, and not as good defensively either. He certainly had good seasons, 2 MVP in fact, but, a lot of the time it seemed like he was just going through the motions of having a long career.

I'm confused as to what people are comparing to when they call Jeter overrated. Name me better shortstops over a 19yr career
      Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• " I never stopped rooting for the Yankees, tried to, didn't work."

Comment

You'd be hard pressed to find other SS with that kind of longevity who CONSISTENTLY contributed to the success of his team.

I'm confused as to what people are comparing to when they call Jeter overrated. Name me better shortstops over a 19yr career

No argument on your first statement at all. On the second part I think people are comparing him to other great shortstop's play, not their entire careers,

Comment

No argument on your first statement at all. On the second part I think people are comparing him to other great shortstop's play, not their entire careers,
            Ok, well, you'd have to look at some of the really good ones over the years. Even if you look recently with guys like Hanley, Tulowitzki, Reyes......those guys only had a few good seasons....not like anyone is talking about them much anymore. Good players, but....they've fizzled out already!
            Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Me at work:

Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Me at work:

The chick?
                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Ok, well, you'd have to look at some of the really good ones over the years. Even if you look recently with guys like Hanley, Tulowitzki, Reyes......those guys only had a few good seasons....not like anyone is talking about them much anymore. Good players, but....they've fizzled out already!

Again, no argument from me; I am not questioning his longevity, just saying imo he isn't the greatest ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                    The chick?

I think he's the guy in the first row in the yellow shirt.

Comment

• Phil a delphia freeedom

Comment

Again, no argument from me; I am not questioning his longevity, just saying imo he isn't the greatest ever.
                        Who is, btw?
                        Not like anyone has answered that. lol
                        Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• I loo oo ove you, Yes I do.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                            I loo oo ove you, Yes I do.
                            Good....

Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Sorry(not really)....wrestling gifs make me smile =D
                              Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Who is, btw?
                                Not like anyone has answered that. lol
                                Well A-Rod before he came to the Yankees and moved to 3B was better both offensively and defensively every season. Few have been as consistently good as Jeter for as long, well nobody really. Jeter did not lose much from the beginning to end of his career, which in itself is impressive and to do it for a couple of decades. He is a without a doubt Hall of Famer, never would claim otherwise. But best ever is going too far. You'd have to go back and look at players like Honus Wagner for example, but it is hard to compare for different eras. Rules for scoring errors and such were different back then as well, which is why you see so many more errors in that era than today. So hard to tell without being able to watch and compare them to say who is better defensively. Hitting is the same, Wagners numbers are much more impressive, but the game was so different and the skill level around the league was not as even as it is today.

In all, maybe you can try to make a case for Jeter, but you can't say so definitively. In the end though he will fall short if to nobody else than a peer in A-Rod who was a better player both offensively and defensively at SS.

Comment

Working...
                                X