This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
    I think Fitzpatrick's agent thought that if he could trick one stupid team into over paying for one of his clients, he could convince two teams to do it.

Doesn't seem to be working out that way
    He's worth more than $7 or $8MM. He's definitely worth $12MM/yr for 2 years.
    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
      He's worth more than $7 or $8MM. He's definitely worth $12MM/yr for 2 years.

Maybe to someone he is. I guess we'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
        Maybe to someone he is. I guess we'll see.
        One thing we learned last year is that you can win with Fitz.

He is a completely known entity. I think that makes him valuable...especially to a team like Denver who doesn't need a great QB to win. Or Cleveland who can have him for two years and develop a young QB behind him.

Comment

One thing we learned last year is that you can win with Fitz.

He is a completely known entity. I think that makes him valuable...especially to a team like Denver who doesn't need a great QB to win. Or Cleveland who can have him for two years and develop a young QB behind him.

I agree on both. But whether they will pay him $12MM a year to keep the seat warm is another story altogether

Comment

• When's the last time a QB was successfully developed through warming the bench for a year or more?
            My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
              That is where I would be with that situation. At this point you know what Fitz is and he isn't enough. Still don't know what Geno is, as small a chance of success you have with that turning out well, a 0.00000001% chance is better than no chance at all. So throwing $15mill at Fitz is criminal level dumb. $7-8mill, fine, that isn't all that much in today's NFL. I'd really only pay him $3-4mill or let him walk to get the same elsewhere and not play.
              He set the franchise mark for TDs. They beat the Patriots in a big game, late last season. His teammates all want him back. You realize that coach Bowles said Fitz would stay as starting QB, if they were winning - before a single game was played last season. No one wants to see any more of Geno, believe me.

Comment

• Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
                When's the last time a QB was successfully developed through warming the bench for a year or more?
                Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Brett Favre..... Just to name a few.

Comment

Only one of those could have been the last time.

Comment

Right. Yeah, I figured it's been over a decade since the last successful product of QB-redshirting was drafted.

Comment

Right. Yeah, I figured it's been over a decade since the last successful product of QB-redshirting was drafted.
                      Sometimes QB's are ruined by playing them too soon.
                      Nowadays with the QB shortage and the money you have to invest in them right away, teams are forced to play them early on. But in reality it's often better for their development to have them sit and learn.

Comment

Nowadays with the QB shortage and the money you have to invest in them right away, teams are forced to play them early on. But in reality it's often better for their development to have them sit and learn.
                        I think more high draft picks would be successful at QB if this were a more common practice. His question was a poor one because rarely is a top QB allowed to sit and learn for a season or 2.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes QBs that turn out to be colossal busts would have been busts whether they started week one in their rookie year, or week seven of their sophomore year.

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                          Nowadays with the QB shortage and the money you have to invest in them right away, teams are forced to play them early on.
                          QB is the most important position in the league, and there's always been a shortage. That is not new. And the money that you invest in your QB right away pales in comparison to the money that you used to need to invest right away, i.e., before the rookie wage scale. Now, you get 3-4 years with a wage-scaled QB. Yes, you need to break out the Brink's truck if they're worth a damn afterwards, but if you were taking a QB high, you had to do that from day one

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                          But in reality it's often better for their development to have them sit and learn.
                          That must be why teams have largely discontinued the trend of QB redshirting.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes QBs that turn out to be colossal busts would have been busts whether they started week one in their rookie year, or week seven of their sophomore year.

QB is the most important position in the league, and there's always been a shortage. That is not new. And the money that you invest in your QB right away pales in comparison to the money that you used to need to invest right away, i.e., before the rookie wage scale. Now, you get 3-4 years with a wage-scaled QB. Yes, you need to break out the Brink's truck if they're worth a damn afterwards, but if you were taking a QB high, you had to do that from day one

That must be why teams have largely discontinued the trend of QB redshirting.
                            No need to get snarky.
                            I think a lot of NFL teams would love the luxury of being able to sit a young QB for a year or so.
                            They don't do it for a number of reason. Some you listed. Then you get snippy by essentially disagreeing with yourself just to be a smart ***.

Comment

• Gotta wonder what they were thinking.....

Comment

No need to get snarky.
                                I think a lot of NFL teams would love the luxury of being able to sit a young QB for a year or so.
                                They don't do it for a number of reason. Some you listed. Then you get snippy by essentially disagreeing with yourself just to be a smart ***.
                                I appreciate the commentary of my commentary on my commentary, but, as I get back to the point, I don't think present-day circumstances have changed enough to conclude that it's no longer feasible to redshirt a rookie QB. To the contrary, I'd say today's system with the rookie wage scale is more conducive to redshirting high draft picks (especially since they don't require 50 million guaranteed, like Sam Bradford got from the Rams), and that if a team really saw the benefit in doing it, they would do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X