Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come the guy that shot Will Smith is only charged with 2nd degree murder and not 1st?

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
      haha...I love when that meme gets really specific
      Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• I also like the o'reilly one
        Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
          How come the guy that shot Will Smith is only charged with 2nd degree murder and not 1st?
          1st degree usually insinuates it was premeditated, no? Pulling a gun on someone when you get into a car accident doesn't really strike me as premeditated if im interpreting that charge right.
          Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
            Well....no I'd say you're exempt. So long as it doesn't become one of those "I was there, you can't tell me I'm wrong" MH-style POVs lol
            How about something like, "I was there but I don't really remember very much about it"?

Comment

I'd fully expect MH to say something about how since he was born in like 1958 or something, that he knows all about SF Haight-Ashbury in the mid 60s, or about the Freedom Riders in Alabama & Mississippi, because he "lived in the 60s".....he's the kind of person that would do that kind of thing. haha
              I only know about either of those things is through reading about them. I was far too young and handsome to actually remember them.

Although I did see the Dead about 20 times or so...
              Last edited by Sarcasman; 04-11-2016, 11:49 AM.

Comment

1st degree usually insinuates it was premeditated, no? Pulling a gun on someone when you get into a car accident doesn't really strike me as premeditated if im interpreting that charge right.

This. Likely no premeditation and certainly no lying in wait.

Comment

Well....no I'd say you're exempt. So long as it doesn't become one of those "I was there, you can't tell me I'm wrong" MH-style POVs lol
                  it's hilarious when people point to "living through" a time in which something significant took place to establish credibility of some sort. It'd be more descriptive to say "I just happened to be breathing while these events took place." Just like when my superhuman spawns someday ask me what it was like "living through X," I will just respond that I went about my business of bedding grieving widows and raiding cookie jars per usual.

Fin.
                  My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                    How about something like, "I was there but I don't really remember very much about it"?
                    He would NEVER admit that.....
                    Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
                      it's hilarious when people point to "living through" a time in which something significant took place to establish credibility of some sort. It'd be more descriptive to say "I just happened to be breathing while these events took place." Just like when my superhuman spawns someday ask me what it was like "living through X," I will just respond that I went about my business of bedding grieving widows and raiding cookie jars per usual.

Fin.
                      Seems legit.
                      Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• It's funny that you bring that up Bill....because my mom will tell me about things she remembers from the 60s but from her own personal POV. Like, she remembers her family watching TV for all the major happenings like the JFK assassination she remembers her parents glued to the TV, same with the moon landing. And she remembers her sister screaming her face off at the Beatles on tv on the Ed Sullivan show lol
                        Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

It's funny that you bring that up Bill....because my mom will tell me about things she remembers from the 60s but from her own personal POV. Like, she remembers her family watching TV for all the major happenings like the JFK assassination she remembers her parents glued to the TV, same with the moon landing. And she remembers her sister screaming her face off at the Beatles on tv on the Ed Sullivan show lol
                          only genuine perspective there is. History is recorded like a movie plot, when it's anything but a movie plot. I'm sure in 30 years, the people claiming they were "trail blazers against racial tensions that plagued America's social infrastructure" will be the ones that RTed a few #BlackLivesMatters tweets, broke a window or two in Ferguson, and received a B- in an urban studies course at their local community college. Poetic alchemy.
                          My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

only genuine perspective there is. History is recorded like a movie plot, when it's anything but a movie plot. I'm sure in 30 years, the people claiming they were "trail blazers against racial tensions that plagued America's social infrastructure" will be the ones that RTed a few #BlackLivesMatters tweets, broke a window or two in Ferguson, and received a B- in an urban studies course at their local community college. Poetic alchemy.
                            lol yep...."I tweeted once!" will be their contribution. Armchair activists, UNITE!!!!!!

(still cant type after all these years...)
                            Last edited by JPizzack; 04-11-2016, 12:40 PM.
                            Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

That's how history works, ain't it?

Just like all those brave dudes who worked so hard to end the war in Vietnam. Or were just there to hook up with some bra-less chicks. Either way..

Comment

Fin.
                                It depends on what you were paying attention to. Ask me about Martin Luther King and I have no more perspective that anyone else. When he was shot, I had heard the name but had no idea who he was. Ask me about Gene McCarthy and Bobby Kennedy in the 1968 Democratic Primary race and I can tell you a lot about it. I followed politics in 1968 like I followed baseball.
                                Ask me about the Moon Landing and I can offer a lot of perspective that history books can't. I followed the space program (as a lot of young boys did) very closely. I can tell you the objectives of all the Apollo missions leading up the Apollo 11.
                                Ask me about Indira Gandhi or Golda Meir, and I can't offer anything even though I was around then.

Don't discount folks who were "there" during important historical events but take it with a grain of salt as well.
                                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Working...
                                X