• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
    Thursday happy hour, where? I'm buying*

first and last rounds only
    DON'T PLAY WITH MY EMOTIONS!!!!

I'm down. I usually go to Hurricane's in Poughkeepsie after work. They have the biggest bar with the largest beer selection, and part of the bar is outdoors if it's nice out.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
      DON'T PLAY WITH MY EMOTIONS!!!!

I'm down. I usually go to Hurricane's in Poughkeepsie after work. They have the biggest bar with the largest beer selection, and part of the bar is outdoors if it's nice out.

I never playa with emotions. too messy.

But I guess it depends on how we define "after work".

I can be there by like 6pm assuming I take my last couple of meetings while driving. If you work Banker's hours, after work is like what, 3:30?

Comment

Thursday happy hour, where? I'm buying*

first and last rounds only
        Just make sure to sip it through the stirring straw.

Comment

I never playa with emotions. too messy.

But I guess it depends on how we define "after work".

I can be there by like 6pm assuming I take my last couple of meetings while driving. If you work Banker's hours, after work is like what, 3:30?
          lol, around 5. let me know....you still have my #, right?
          Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
            People astound me, somebody just said Ronnie Lott would be a nobody in today's game, makes me wonder if they even watch football.
            Well he is pretty old

Comment

• Originally posted by Imgrate View Post
              Well he is pretty old
              lol, not what was meant within context, but good point.

Comment

Just make sure to sip it through the stirring straw.
                I thought that was a chick thing?

Comment

lol, around 5. let me know....you still have my #, right?
                  yup

Comment

People astound me, somebody just said Ronnie Lott would be a nobody in today's game, makes me wonder if they even watch football.
                    He wouldn't get away with that type of physicality these days, opposing players either got crunched or were in fear of making a catch in his zone. Unfortunately, that somebody might be right.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
                      He wouldn't get away with that type of physicality these days, opposing players either got crunched or were in fear of making a catch in his zone. Unfortunately, that somebody might be right.
                      Ok, I will admit having not seem much of his play as I was very young; however, Ronnie Lott spent the first 5 years of his career as a top shelf CB and making 4 of 5 pro bowls in those years. He finished second to only Lawrence Taylor for rookie of the year because he had 7 interceptions, 3 for TDs and was moved to safety to he could have a greater impact all over the field. You think that a player with his instincts, athletic ability, on field intelligence, toughness, leadership and the ability to cover like a top shelf CB from the safety position would be a nobody in todays game because he played physically in a day and age when that was within the rules? You don't think that a player of his caliber and skill would be able to modify his game and succeed at a high level within today's rules?

Comment

• I hate comparing guys from different eras.....it's kinda dumb because of how the game is totally different now.

Every.single.player. these days is bigger, faster, and stronger than they were 30 years ago.

an elite player in 1980, transplanted from their prime, into todays NFL might be just a run of the mill player, there's no way to know for sure.

I can't ever make these comparisons.....too hard to prove.
                        Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

I hate comparing guys from different eras.....it's kinda dumb because of how the game is totally different now.

Every.single.player. these days is bigger, faster, and stronger than they were 30 years ago.

an elite player in 1980, transplanted from their prime, into todays NFL might be just a run of the mill player, there's no way to know for sure.

I can't ever make these comparisons.....too hard to prove.
                          But you wouldn't just transplant a player, he would grow within today's system. The truly great players would be great in any era in which they were developed. They may be different, but they would still be great.

Comment

But you wouldn't just transplant a player, he would grow within today's system. The truly great players would be great in any era in which they were developed. They may be different, but they would still be great.
                            I can't even respond to this. The whole concept is dumb.

"What if that player had all the resources kids have available these days?"
                            "What if that player went to a college with the best coaching staff?"
                            "What if he did all the required strength and conditioning training required nowadays?"

Well if you're saying would that original player be different if they had a different path to what is now the NFL, would they still be elite....
                            What are we even talking about? Who ****ing cares.
                            Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

I can't even respond to this. The whole concept is dumb.

"What if that player had all the resources kids have available these days?"
                              "What if that player went to a college with the best coaching staff?"
                              "What if he did all the required strength and conditioning training required nowadays?"

Well if you're saying would that original player be different if they had a different path to what is now the NFL, would they still be elite....
                              What are we even talking about? Who ****ing cares.
                              And yet you responded with inane drivel. So you are of the opinion that a player like Lawrence Taylor or Ronnie Lott, two of the greatest defensive players to ever play, might not have turned into great players if the grew through the football system as it is today.

I can see your point, I just think it is wrong. Some people have greatness in them, and this is not just sports related, and will find that greatness in whichever era they find themselves. Usually the difference between a good player and a great player are the intangibles that push them to the next level. Those things would transcend eras. LT for example was a great athlete, but that is not what made him great, it is what made him a football player. What made him great was his tenacity. He fought through offenses like a rabid animal. I believe that players like this, and there are a very few, would be great players no matter the era.

Comment

And yet you responded with inane drivel. So you are of the opinion that a player like Lawrence Taylor or Ronnie Lott, two of the greatest defensive players to ever play, might not have turned into great players if the grew through the football system as it is today.

I can see your point, I just think it is wrong. Some people have greatness in them, and this is not just sports related, and will find that greatness in whichever era they find themselves. Usually the difference between a good player and a great player are the intangibles that push them to the next level. Those things would transcend eras. LT for example was a great athlete, but that is not what made him great, it is what made him a football player. What made him great was his tenacity. He fought through offenses like a rabid animal. I believe that players like this, and there are a very few, would be great players no matter the era.
                                It's my POV that it doesn't matter. At all....honestly.....
                                Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Working...
                                X