Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing really matters. Anyone can see. Nothing really matters, to me.

Anyway the wind blows.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
      Nothing really matters. Anyone can see. Nothing really matters, to me.

Anyway the wind blows.
      +1 for Queen
      Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
        +1 for Queen
        I love Queen

Comment

+1 for Queen
          Youre a queen.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
            Youre a queen fan.
            Yes, I just said that
            Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Ok, I will admit having not seem much of his play as I was very young; however, Ronnie Lott spent the first 5 years of his career as a top shelf CB and making 4 of 5 pro bowls in those years. He finished second to only Lawrence Taylor for rookie of the year because he had 7 interceptions, 3 for TDs and was moved to safety to he could have a greater impact all over the field. You think that a player with his instincts, athletic ability, on field intelligence, toughness, leadership and the ability to cover like a top shelf CB from the safety position would be a nobody in todays game because he played physically in a day and age when that was within the rules? You don't think that a player of his caliber and skill would be able to modify his game and succeed at a high level within today's rules?
              I don't think LT's way of playing the game would be much of a problem in these times. He wasn't known for that degree of physicality - even though he ended Theisman's career. His chopping style for the ball is emulated by most great defensive players today. I don't recall him ever spearing, going for the head, horsecollaring, etc...
              Lott was awesome and exciting to watch, but part of his success was the fear he put into receivers that had them trembling on the huddle when plays were called to go into his zone. You're probably right about someone with his skill and athleticism adapting - but you're not going to see him make the same impact in today's game.

Comment

• ughh migraines blow. especially looking at a computer screen all day. Feels like my brain is being pushed out my eye sockets.

Comment

• http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/04...n_9780920.html

"The goalie just said **** it and left?" lol

Comment

I hate comparing guys from different eras.....it's kinda dumb because of how the game is totally different now.

Every.single.player. these days is bigger, faster, and stronger than they were 30 years ago.

an elite player in 1980, transplanted from their prime, into todays NFL might be just a run of the mill player, there's no way to know for sure.

I can't ever make these comparisons.....too hard to prove.
                    I agree but that's not the point regarding Ronnie Lott.
                    I think the point is that a lot of what Ronnie Lott did would be illegal in today's NFL with these new rules.

It's much harder to be an enforcer at SS in the modern NFL because so many of those plays would draw flags, fines and even suspensions.

So it is very legit to wonder what Lott's effectiveness would be today.
                    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                      I agree but that's not the point regarding Ronnie Lott.
                      I think the point is that a lot of what Ronnie Lott did would be illegal in today's NFL with these new rules.

It's much harder to be an enforcer at SS in the modern NFL because so many of those plays would draw flags, fines and even suspensions.

So it is very legit to wonder what Lott's effectiveness would be today.
                      Well, in this thread, nobody brought up the "illegal in today's rules" stuff.....I agree with that.
                      Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• What annoyed me is the whole "well, if given the chance to adapt to today's rules, and given the same resources(or whatever) he'd still be elite"

Ok, well then youre talking about him being a player who isn't Ronnie Lott....he'd be someone with a completely different skillset, in which case that doesn't even fit into the debate.
                        Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• This thread sucks.....
                          Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

But you wouldn't just transplant a player, he would grow within today's system. The truly great players would be great in any era in which they were developed. They may be different, but they would still be great.
                            I agree with this completely.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                              http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/04...n_9780920.html

"The goalie just said **** it and left?" lol

Sorry, I have disabled my browser from ever connecting to Huffington Post.

Comment

This thread sucks.....
                                Raymond Ave in Pougkeepsie, eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X