Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
    Absolutely. I barely make it through each summer. Fall is so comfortable, for doing so many things outdoors - and then relax with Sunday football.
    Can't tell you how many hundreds of chimneys I've cleaned, and glad that's in the past.
    You a mason ? I had a hard time getting the brush down through it would go maybe 18 ' and I couldn't push it any further...I ended up taking the flue pipe off "which needed to be done anyway" and there was quite a bit of mess there....I reached in through the thimble with my arm and wood poker and got it after a few cuts a scraps....I guess I need a smaller brush for the first pass...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by byron View Post
      You a mason ? I had a hard time getting the brush down through it would go maybe 18 ' and I couldn't push it any further...I ended up taking the flue pipe off "which needed to be done anyway" and there was quite a bit of mess there....I reached in through the thimble with my arm and wood poker and got it after a few cuts a scraps....I guess I need a smaller brush for the first pass...
      I'm a boiler tech. My father had a boiler/chimney service, and I worked at a stove shop.
      Is your chimney lined with clay tile? It might have collapsed in a spot, and is bound up and blocking it. Or a nest, if you don't have a cap. Some chimneys have offsets - where a brush on a rods won't pass. I always used a brush on a plumber's snake.
      It is important to remove the flue pipe (I assume you have a wood stove?) and get the base and any horizontal sections cleaned out. If you still have a damper, a lot of soot can collect behind it.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
        I'm a boiler tech. My father had a boiler/chimney service, and I worked at a stove shop.
        Is your chimney lined with clay tile? It might have collapsed in a spot, and is bound up and blocking it. Or a nest, if you don't have a cap. Some chimneys have offsets - where a brush on a rods won't pass. I always used a brush on a plumber's snake.
        It is important to remove the flue pipe (I assume you have a wood stove?) and get the base and any horizontal sections cleaned out. If you still have a damper, a lot of soot can collect behind it.
        Cool man ....yeah its a double flue 8x8 clay lined I built it 30 years ago first chimney I ever built , a friend who had experience helped me with it... Burned wood through a wood furnace "smoke dragon" in one side ..Couple years ago I had to reline that side "it was done" I put a 6" SS flex liner in there plugged oil furnace in there...I replaced the old wood furnace with a heatmax gasser which I plugged into what was the oil furnace side ,the liner was like new... My brush fits tight there was just to much build up above the thimble to go through it all clear now ...

        long story short the heatmax gasser didn't work and last year I put in a Fire Chief 700e wood/coal "their middle of the road"...It burns a bit dirty it a non gasser no secondary air or burn tubes. It does have baffle in the fire chamber that they claim some gasification burning happens I think its minimal.. The thing will drive me right out here if I let it go but I throttle it on warmer days which doesn't help with the creosote....anyhow I got a good handle on the thing and this winter I'll be burning a little cleaner ...smaller loads and run her harder !

        Comment


        • Lot of guys have wood boilers "gassers" heating 3 or 4 hundred gals storage out to baseboard...In the dead of winter fire it up a couple times a day ..

          Comment


          • ^ Sounds like you realize the importance of regular cleaning and inspecting. Moist flue gasses, combined with low chimney temps, will kill a clay liner pretty quickly.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
              ^ Sounds like you realize the importance of regular cleaning and inspecting. Moist flue gasses, combined with low chimney temps, will kill a clay liner pretty quickly.
              True... I'm catching up... for 30 years I burned in the home built hot air furnace "150 cords give or take a little"...new technology passed by me...I do try to maintain 350/400 just after the stove flange and manometer reading around .05/.06...

              you know for a few years there was a refractory liner I could get my hands on around here...I built quite a few chimneys over the years and I would use them on the wood side...They didn't catch on with masons and suppliers dropped them they should have been made code for wood burning...anyhow I'll stop Jimmie ...haha

              Comment


              • Originally posted by byron View Post
                True... I'm catching up... for 30 years I burned in the home built hot air furnace "150 cords give or take a little"...new technology passed by me...I do try to maintain 350/400 just after the stove flange and manometer reading around .05/.06...

                you know for a few years there was a refractory liner I could get my hands on around here...I built quite a few chimneys over the years and I would use them on the wood side...They didn't catch on with masons and suppliers dropped them they should have been made code for wood burning...anyhow I'll stop Jimmie ...haha
                Hey, at least you're not trying to pressure me to come clean your chimney for free - like so many co-workers, bosses, family and "friends" used to. Like anyone would enjoy that, or has nothing better to do. I just tell them I'm out of that side of the business, don't even have the equipment anymore.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
                  Hey, at least you're not trying to pressure me to come clean your chimney for free - like so many co-workers, bosses, family and "friends" used to. Like anyone would enjoy that, or has nothing better to do. I just tell them I'm out of that side of the business, don't even have the equipment anymore.
                  Um, about that...

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                    Um, about that...
                    You'll have to do better than some cream ale, for starters...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by byron View Post
                      your not Bill ? I like that things are getting underway I miss football ..It does mean cold weather and all that but I prefer fall weather compared to this hot stuff ... Got the fire wood put up and I cleaned the chimney the other day so I'm ready that way....
                      im looking forward to fall, but I'm really indifferent towards the season. Idk, first real year it's been like this for me.
                      My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
                        im looking forward to fall, but I'm really indifferent towards the season. Idk, first real year it's been like this for me.
                        The team has been down to long ...We need the team to play half descent this year give us a little hope ...There's many questions about the process that's been used to get this team turned around, which makes it hard to have confidence this year or for that matter the future.... We need winning football not dumb football ......

                        Comment


                        • you'd think they'd fix this gd software ! always logging me off fb

                          Comment


                          • Summer blows, too hot.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                              I wonder why they didnt let Bradford go if theyre already anticipating him not lasting the season.
                              Let them compete in camp. If Wentz is the best, go with him.
                              They obviously feel Bradford is the best Vet QB option for them and may still be a good QB. However, he has a history of injuries and if your plan is to have your high pick sit for a year it would be smart to get a viable Vet back up in case Bradford gets injured again. Fairly straightforward.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jmike View Post
                                They obviously feel Bradford is the best Vet QB option for them and may still be a good QB. However, he has a history of injuries and if your plan is to have your high pick sit for a year it would be smart to get a viable Vet back up in case Bradford gets injured again. Fairly straightforward.
                                Yea, I think think the whole "sit your first year"(or couple of years) isnt always the right approach. Its the most important position. I would rather find out if the QB will sink or swim as soon as possible. This way if he sinks and is a bust you can take steps to find another qb in the offseason. This way youre not hanging your hat on an unknown.
                                But when it comes to the Eagles, I believe they wasted a lot of cap on someone they dont expect to last the season. They could have cut him and spent some money elsewhere

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X