Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
    Initially guitar and I still play a fair amount of it but if you are a guitarist who not only has the ability but also a demonstrated willingness to play the bass, you're gonna get a lot more invitations to play bass than guitar.
    Yes, I've heard that many bassists originally excelled at lead guitar, or earned their fame by playing the bass like it's a lead guitar. I mentioned Jack Bruce, who did much more than hold the line, live. Chris Squire of Yes was another. My guy, Jack Casady, was a lead guitarist before being brought into Jefferson Airplane.
    Who do you like to emulate / listen to?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
      Yes, I've heard that many bassists originally excelled at lead guitar, or earned their fame by playing the bass like it's a lead guitar. I mentioned Jack Bruce, who did much more than hold the line, live. Chris Squire of Yes was another. My guy, Jack Casady, was a lead guitarist before being brought into Jefferson Airplane.
      Who do you like to emulate / listen to?
      I don't know that I emulate anyone anymore. When I first started to learn the bass I just started playing stuff I liked and preferably stuff that wasn't simply 3 root notes. So I liked Squire, Lee, Bruce, Kaye, Bootsy, Entwistle, Levin, McCartney, Lesh, the dude from Iron Maiden (forget his name), Sting....if it's different and interesting I'll usually try to learn and play it.

      Comment


      • Tony Romo looking chunky.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
          Tony Romo looking chunky.
          Mass!! Mass!!
          My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
            Mass!! Mass!!
            I feel a strange pull toward him.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
              I don't know that I emulate anyone anymore. When I first started to learn the bass I just started playing stuff I liked and preferably stuff that wasn't simply 3 root notes. So I liked Squire, Lee, Bruce, Kaye, Bootsy, Entwistle, Levin, McCartney, Lesh, the dude from Iron Maiden (forget his name), Sting....if it's different and interesting I'll usually try to learn and play it.
              Paul McCartney is an interesting study. To me, the early beetles stuff sounds like modified Polka music. But it certainly evolved, and his playing got much more elaborate. Early Wings was very good, too.
              Do you know why Phil Lesh has hung it up? Oteil Burbridge (sp?) is no slouch, though - he played for the Allmans. Not sure how much longer the Dead will carry on - I guess until Weir drops out.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
                Paul McCartney is an interesting study. To me, the early beetles stuff sounds like modified Polka music. But it certainly evolved, and his playing got much more elaborate. Early Wings was very good, too.
                Do you know why Phil Lesh has hung it up? Oteil Burbridge (sp?) is no slouch, though - he played for the Allmans. Not sure how much longer the Dead will carry on - I guess until Weir drops out.
                From a purely song writing perspective...The early Beatles stuff was brilliant. By far their best period of song writing.
                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                  From a purely song writing perspective...The early Beatles stuff was brilliant. By far their best period of song writing.
                  Hey, you guys are musicians, and I'm not. But fancy lyrics with nothing interesting instrumentally can only go so far. I still don't see what's so complex or deep about early Beatles' lyrics, though. Maybe they were fine or that time period, but I think both the lyrics and instrumentals - especially McCartney, developed through their years and"enlightenment".

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
                    Hey, you guys are musicians, and I'm not. But fancy lyrics with nothing interesting instrumentally can only go so far. I still don't see what's so complex or deep about early Beatles' lyrics, though. Maybe they were fine or that time period, but I think both the lyrics and instrumentals - especially McCartney, developed through their years and"enlightenment".
                    Admittedly not a huge Beatles fan, but....I can honestly say that I like their music more than I care about the content of their lyrics.
                    Oderint Dum Metuant

                    It's too bad, I'm too good....

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
                      Hey, you guys are musicians, and I'm not. But fancy lyrics with nothing interesting instrumentally can only go so far. I still don't see what's so complex or deep about early Beatles' lyrics, though. Maybe they were fine or that time period, but I think both the lyrics and instrumentals - especially McCartney, developed through their years and"enlightenment".

                      I think their early stuff was pretty light weight, strictly from a lyrical perspective, but musically I'm with MH, early on their chord patterns and songwriting were brilliant.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                        I think their early stuff was pretty light weight, strictly from a lyrical perspective, but musically I'm with MH, early on their chord patterns and songwriting were brilliant.
                        It was appropriate for the times. I know it was heavily Chuck Berry influenced. I think McCartney elevated it, while Lennon eventually lost it. Ever see the footage of his Yoko Plastic whatever band, where he had greats like Chuck Berry and Little Richard also perform? What a train wreck, an embarrassing moment in rock history.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                          What a shocking and unexpected reaction!

                          Comment


                          • Don't you just hate it when one of your favorite places to eat completely changes the menu and either eliminates or changes the recipe of your favorite items?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jmike View Post
                              Don't you just hate it when one of your favorite places to eat completely changes the menu and either eliminates or changes the recipe of your favorite items?
                              I hate chain restaurants, but Houlihans is an exception. They recently dumped the prime rib, which was a good value there. Their pot roast is still awesome, though.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
                                Hey, you guys are musicians, and I'm not. But fancy lyrics with nothing interesting instrumentally can only go so far. I still don't see what's so complex or deep about early Beatles' lyrics, though. Maybe they were fine or that time period, but I think both the lyrics and instrumentals - especially McCartney, developed through their years and"enlightenment".
                                I'm not a huge fan of lyrics. It's really hard to write good melodies.
                                Melodies that we still know in our head, 50 years later are to be appreciated.
                                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X