X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
    I'm not a fan of any of it, frankly.

I agree with you that it leads to over celebrating mediocrity. I actually heard mlb announcers say recently that a young pitcher had pitched a great game as he was taken out after throwing 5 2/3rds innings and gave up 3 runs.

I think a lot of it is driven off stat sites and their desire to pretend that that throwing a billion numbers at something makes it completely understandable. It's also the mindset that insists that Matt Ryan is a great QB for some staticular reason that everyone's eyes apparently can't see.
    I actually heard a similar thing this summer on the radio that triggered this thought. I was driving listening to the Yankee game on the fan when I heard John sterling ranting and raving about how great Tanaka pitched when he went 6 innings and gave up 2 runs. You make a great point about how we celebrate mediocrity these days. Like in football Leonard Marshall for example you never heard what his tech was or if he could play in a 4-3. He played two gap football, had run and pass rush responsibilities.

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4RcWvDrVQE

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
        Well said.
        There are SOME things that I like stats for, but...a large majority of the time they are just numbers used to further some agenda.

In my opinion you can compare a pitcher to a pitcher, and perhaps a QB to a QB, so long as things like WINS are taken into consideration. When Stafford was tossing 5k yards a year, but barely winning 9 games, people wanted to say he was better than Aaron Rodgers. I'm a Stafford fan (UGA guy) and even I recognize that as bull****.
        The better comparisons are reserved for like....idk, WRs maybe? as long as a guy is getting a bunch of targets, you can probably compare 2 WRs.
        I never even looked at stats much until I started playing ff in that light they are useful... and useful when having discussions ... Everybody is different they use stats and what not to hype upcoming games and such people eat it up or the media thinks they do .. Its really become quite crazy when you think about it ..There seems to be no limits to what the media will do to get clicks, make money or just plain stir **** up .. And obviously GM's and their staffs are doing their own work when it comes to personal... I guess what I'm saying is for me or fans in general some value and some lean on the junk harder than others...Idk numbers guys like numbers

Comment

That's awesome, news, Rudy. I thrilled to hear that.
          Thx doc ;-)
          Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudy View Post
            Thx doc ;-)
            I'm not really a Dr. I just told you that when we met to get you to take your clothes off.

It's time you knew the truth. But the reality is: I'm not sorry I did it.

Comment

I'm not really a Dr. I just told you that when we met to get you to take your clothes off.

It's time you knew the truth. But the reality is: I'm not sorry I did it.
              I'm ****ing sad now. You ruined everything. EVERYTHING!!!!
              Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudy View Post
                I'm ****ing sad now. You ruined everything. EVERYTHING!!!!
                I get that a lot.

Comment

• Watching the Falcons Dolphins game on NBC. It appears that NBC is in mid season form with commercial breaks.

Comment

• Helloooooo

Comment

• https://youtu.be/RfwGkplB_sY

Comment

nice one love John prine

back in day we did a couple of JP songs ....please don't bury Me and dear Abby
                        Last edited by byron; 08-26-2016, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• me too; he's awesome

ever heard Al Kooper's live solo version of Sam Stone, Byron?

Comment

me too; he's awesome

ever heard Al Kooper's live solo version of Sam Stone, Byron?
                            haha... I'll check it out just listened to Sam Stone plus a bunch of other stuff its been a while since I've listened and Prine !

Comment

• Originally posted by byron View Post
                              nice one love John prine

back in day we did a couple of JP songs ....please don't bury Me and dear Abby
                              I don't know what youre talking about. I don't have any original music out yet, just some lyrics ready to be put on wax! =D
                              Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Originally posted by byron View Post
                                haha... I'll check it out just listened to Sam Stone plus a bunch of other stuff its been a while since I've listened and Prine !
                                I'm talking about the version that is just him on piano, not band. it's great if you can find it.

I have the recording from somewhere but I can't find it on youtube anymore

Comment

Working...
                                X