Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing a lot of people calling Collins one of the best safetys in the league. Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
      Seeing a lot of people calling Collins one of the best safetys in the league. Thoughts?
      He hits hard, is very good against the run, and can be used effectively in the blitz. Nothing special in coverage, and he really hasn't picked off anyone yet. That run back on the tipped pass was special. Glad to have him, but he needs coverage guys around him.

Comment

Seeing a lot of people calling Collins one of the best safetys in the league. Thoughts?
        I think people are to quick to use words like best simply because it is really good and recent(was trying to make that point in another thread and bungled it). I am a big fan of Collins and hope he continues to improve. Most importantly though if he can maintain a high level of play and become a vocal leader on the field and in the locker room, that will do infinately more to improve this defense than him getting better in coverage.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
          What player do you think offers more to a team.

A mediocre player with well rounded skills and no weaknesses, but no special skills; or a player who has one or two exceptional traits, but a lot of holes in his game?
          A player who does one or two things great. In the day of specialization in sports that's more valuable IMO. The utility guy is a lost art unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
            He hits hard, is very good against the run, and can be used effectively in the blitz. Nothing special in coverage, and he really hasn't picked off anyone yet. That run back on the tipped pass was special. Glad to have him, but he needs coverage guys around him.
            Agreed, hes still suspect in coverage. Great run last week, great game. Hes been playing well all year. Not bad at all for a second year player, but I dont think hes one of the best.

Comment

I think people are to quick to use words like best simply because it is really good and recent(was trying to make that point in another thread and bungled it). I am a big fan of Collins and hope he continues to improve. Most importantly though if he can maintain a high level of play and become a vocal leader on the field and in the locker room, that will do infinately more to improve this defense than him getting better in coverage.
              Thats a good point. I thought he was awful last year so this year has been a nice surprise. Like you said, hopefully he can become some type of leader. Lawd knows this defense needs one.

Comment

Thats a good point. I thought he was awful last year so this year has been a nice surprise. Like you said, hopefully he can become some type of leader. Lawd knows this defense needs one.
                I disagree about his play last year. He was asked to do things that did not suit his skill set because they had nobody on the team with the skill set they needed. If you ask a player to mostly do what he doesn't do well, he isn't going to look very good doing it.

Comment

I disagree about his play last year. He was asked to do things that did not suit his skill set because they had nobody on the team with the skill set they needed. If you ask a player to mostly do what he doesn't do well, he isn't going to look very good doing it.
                  You have to be able to cover somewhat as a saftey. He was awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ztown View Post
                    A player who does one or two things great. In the day of specialization in sports that's more valuable IMO. The utility guy is a lost art unfortunately.
                    I agree with this as a general rule, though there are exceptions of course. For example, it is nice to have one back up on the OL and LBer that is at least mediocre at all the positions. This allows for more roster flexibilty.

Comment

He can cover somewhat, but he doesn't have the range to cover the volume of field it seemed he was asked to last season. Plus he was a rookie trying to catch up to the speed of the NFL. When he is a vet, he will probably be able to fill that role better if he is needed for that again. With rookies I think it is best to put them in a position that best suits them. Even if the S they got would have played even worse there than Collins did, they would have been better served to do that and allow Collins to stay where he is comfortable.

Comment

Strong safeties don't need to cover like free safeties do.
                        Troy Polamalu didn't cover well at all and was a HOF strong safety.
                        Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                          Strong safeties don't need to cover like free safeties do.
                          Troy Polamalu didn't cover well at all and was a HOF strong safety.
                          Should I have put "somewhat" in big bold letters?

Troy was everywhere, he was a great safety.

Comment

• PM from MH?!

Hope its sexual.

Comment

• what a let down....

Comment

what a let down....
                                its ok, it happens to everybody. Maybe it is just stress.

Comment

Working...
                                X