This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
    Perhaps I should clarify my opinion of football players, as long as we're here in the safe zone: I've never met one who wasn't an A-hole, and could care less about their well being, stats, or getting the contract they deserve. I do like to see the teamwork and physicality of the game. I don't believe there are any feasible safety solutions that will not compromise the excitement of the game.
    Well, can't disagree with any of that. Though I have met more than one who wasn't an A-hole, buit as a general group the non A-holes are in the minority. I'm of the opinion that they knew what they were getting into, got paid hamsomely to do it.

My point was the argument itself not to what it was being specifically applied.

Comment

• Originally posted by byron View Post
      well my point was to playing scheduled games over dropping games that don't matter... Hell Cleveland could have canceled the whole season .. Anyhow I screwed up in grasping your point I saw cancel games everything went red ...sorry... not against players safety at all but where is the cut off ...pro bowl level play ? maybe that's where the game is headed ?
      IDK, but with the dangers of the game and their attempts to reduce injuries there will likely be some consessions towards that in the coming CBA. I don't want to cancel games, as I said in another post, maybe have snap count limits for players in games that no longer matter towards the standings for both teams participating. Also you could allow an expanded game day roster of the full 53 as well for those games.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
        That's the part I was concerned about. You could find out 10 minutes before kick-off that the game is meaningless and send everybody home. They would have to only do ones they knew would be meaningless after the Monday night game. But even still, what a mess for those people who have tickets and want to go to a game. As far as attending a game, it losses little enjoyment because it is meaningless in the standings. I'm still on the side of no on this, but I could see something like this being pushed by the NFLPA at the next CBA as a concession for more games, don't make the guys suit up for meaningless games. Maybe the dumb it down to individual player snap limitations and no inactives for meaningless games. Which I could see as a more workable solution than cancelling the games outright.
        The effect this would have on fantasy football would be catastrophic

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
          No. They should make it safer but in a way that makes sense that someone has actual;lay spent more than 20 seconds contemplating.

Simply put, the proposal just isn't a very good idea.
          No, it isn't; but it does seed some thoughts for me anyway. We often talk about the shame of a player getting injured in a meaningless game or at the end of a game that has already been decided. Makes me wonder if the NFLPA will be pushing for something to reduce the injury risk in those situations or if they see it as inconsequential to the overall injury issues.

Comment

IDK, but with the dangers of the game and their attempts to reduce injuries there will likely be some consessions towards that in the coming CBA. I don't want to cancel games, as I said in another post, maybe have snap count limits for players in games that no longer matter towards the standings for both teams participating. Also you could allow an expanded game day roster of the full 53 as well for those games.
            It's an interesting idea but highly unlikely. I hate how hypocritical the NFL is. On one hand they preach safety and on the other are trying to push for more games. As a fan of the game I'm not for adding games not because I'm concerned with injuries but it would water down the product along with adding more playoff teams imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ztown View Post
              Why would the NFL care about fantasy football?

You know what has a huge impact on fantasy football? injuries.
              Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

Well actually that is a positive for me, I enjoy watching people cry and moan over their fantasy stats. I surf the fantasy threads just for those chuckles.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post

I was kidding

Comment

It's an interesting idea but highly unlikely. I hate how hypocritical the NFL is. On one hand they preach safety and on the other are trying to push for more games. As a fan of the game I'm not for adding games not because I'm concerned with injuries but it would water down the product along with adding more playoff teams imo.
                    I agree, it would further reduce the importance of the divisional games. I also don't like the international games. But being who I am, I have spun some compromises for those situations. Because the NFL wants to push into February every year and have the SB on a holiday weekend and they like trying to maket the product in other countries, I don't think either idea will go away. So what about adding one more game instead of 2? Go with 2 preseason games. 2 bye weeks that fall on the weeks before and after each team's international game which will be held as a neutral site game, played against the cross conferance team with the same conference rank the previous season.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post

I've heard the NFL makes a lot of money off fantasy football.

Comment

Well, can't disagree with any of that. Though I have met more than one who wasn't an A-hole, buit as a general group the non A-holes are in the minority. I'm of the opinion that they knew what they were getting into, got paid hamsomely to do it.

My point was the argument itself not to what it was being specifically applied.
                        Darn, I'm really in the mood to argue today, for some reason.

In all fairness, I've never met a football player other than the ones in high school.

Comment

No, it isn't; but it does seed some thoughts for me anyway. We often talk about the shame of a player getting injured in a meaningless game or at the end of a game that has already been decided. Makes me wonder if the NFLPA will be pushing for something to reduce the injury risk in those situations or if they see it as inconsequential to the overall injury issues.
                          When analyzing this kind of thing it always starts with the money. Except for discussions of players's health, in that case it always starts with the money.

Whether the game is meaningless or not in the standings is largely irrelevant. If the stadium is full and advertising is sold, the game is not meaningless. At least not to the owners. And since the first thing the CBA negotiates is the percentage split of gross receipts among the owners and players, there are no meaningless games. A game that has ticket sales, parking receipts and concession sales is meaningful. Not to the standings but to everything else that makes the NFL machine run.

My view is that the players will push for a shorter pre season and the owners will extract an extra regular season game or two for it. That creates the appearance of caring about safety without actually doing anything meaningful and more importantly without spending lots of money on it.

Don't hate me because I'm cynical; hate me because I'm right.
                          Last edited by Sarcasman; 12-29-2016, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
                            When analyzing this kind of thing it always starts with the money. Except for discussions of players's health, in that case it always starts with the money.

Whether the game is meaningless or not in the standings is largely irrelevant. If the stadium is full and advertising is sold, the game is not meaningless. At least not to the owners. And since the first thing the CBA negotiates is the percentage split of gross receipts among the owners and players, there are no meaningless games. A game that has ticket sales, parking receipts and concession sales is meaningful. Not to the standings but to everything else that makes the NFL machine run.

My view is that the players will push for a shorter pre season and the owners will extract an extra regular season game or two for it. That creates the appearance of caring about safety without actually doing anything meaningful and more importantly without spending lots of money on it.

Don't hate me because I'm cynical; hate me because I'm right.
                            I don't hate people because they are right, and I think you are. Ok, thank you, b-bye!

Comment

I don't hate people because they are right, and I think you are. Ok, thank you, b-bye!
                              Look. I just wanted to be hated is all!

Damn I can't get no satisfaction 'round here.

Comment

• How much do each one of you on here weigh? I'm 210 and getting heavier by the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X