This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
    Not really, since he is most likely not going to be available. 23 is a good spot for him if you have confidence you can develop him. Cardinals taking him at 13 is a bit of a reach IMO, but seems to be the most likely scenerio if 1-12 go as expected.
    I don't agree. I think that using your first round pick for a prospect that is far from NFL ready, plays a position of which there will be ample opportunity to draft in the coming years and is not a position of need when the team clearly has positions of need, is the definition of a reach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
      God I hope RF puts this thread out of it's misery soon.
      its

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
        I don't agree. I think that using your first round pick for a prospect that is far from NFL ready, plays a position of which there will be ample opportunity to draft in the coming years and is not a position of need when the team clearly has positions of need, is the definition of a reach.
        No, the definition of a reach is selecting a player much higher in the draft than you need to to get the same player. How good he is has no relevance to the description. What you are defining is a "poor choice" which is different than a reach.

If the Giants years ago decided to spend a 2nd round pick on Tom Brady, that would have been a reach, but a very good decision.

If the Giants had trade up to select Gallery 2nd overall in 2004, that would not have been a reach, but a very bad decision.

I hope this has helped you.

Comment

• I mean, I think honestly anyone Reese picks (within reason) will only help the Giants out....pretty thin at most positions....
          "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
          "No...I didn't."
          "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

No, the definition of a reach is selecting a player much higher in the draft than you need to to get the same player. How good he is has no relevance to the description. What you are defining is a "poor choice" which is different than a reach.

If the Giants years ago decided to spend a 2nd round pick on Tom Brady, that would have been a reach, but a very good decision.

If the Giants had trade up to select Gallery 2nd overall in 2004, that would not have been a reach, but a very bad decision.

I hope this has helped you.

It has helped me immensely. I now understand what you define as a reach.

That makes it easier to simply say, I disagree with your definition.

Comment

It has helped me immensely. I now understand what you define as a reach.

That makes it easier to simply say, I disagree with your definition.
              Well then you would be wrong.

Comment

• Its like using the term "sleeper" on a player from Alabama's defense. It just doesn't work. Selecting a player in the round in which he is expected to go and would be picked at some point is not a reach, doesn't matter if the player is terrible. Dayne wasn't a reach, but everybody who ever watched him play knew he would be terrible. Doesn't make him a reach, it made him a bad pick. If you expect Mahomes to still be there at 55, then you can call him a reach. Do you honestly believe if the Giants don't select him at 23 he will still be available at 55?

Comment

Well then you would be wrong.
                  lol, ok!

I cordially invite you to attempt to prove your point.

Comment

Its like using the term "sleeper" on a player from Alabama's defense. It just doesn't work. Selecting a player in the round in which he is expected to go and would be picked at some point is not a reach, doesn't matter if the player is terrible. Dayne wasn't a reach, but everybody who ever watched him play knew he would be terrible. Doesn't make him a reach, it made him a bad pick. If you expect Mahomes to still be there at 55, then you can call him a reach. Do you honestly believe if the Giants don't select him at 23 he will still be available at 55?
                    I don't care if he's there at 55. However you can posit that at 55 he may not be a reach for the Giants if their other needs are addressed.

Comment

lol, ok!

I cordially invite you to attempt to prove your point.
                      Its not a point, it is a definition.

If I said "mountain" would you have an idea of what I was talking about?

Well, what if I decided that "mountain" is a medium sized rodent that eats nuts, climbs trees and has a puffy tail. Would that make sense? No it wouldn't. So don't use reach to describe a player who is selected right around where he is expected to be selected.

Comment

If I said "mountain" would you have an idea of what I was talking about?.
                        Of course.
                        Rock band from Long Island. Had a couple minor hits early 70's.
                        "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                        "No...I didn't."
                        "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                          MH's warming up for his Jerry Reach rants
                          I love JR 364 days a year.
                          It's draft day that he and I are sometimes on the outs.
                          Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
                            I mean, I think honestly anyone Reese picks (within reason) will only help the Giants out....pretty thin at most positions....
                            I agree with the first part but I think they're finally strong or above average at most positions.

Comment

Its not a point, it is a definition.

If I said "mountain" would you have an idea of what I was talking about?

Well, what if I decided that "mountain" is a medium sized rodent that eats nuts, climbs trees and has a puffy tail. Would that make sense? No it wouldn't. So don't use reach to describe a player who is selected right around where he is expected to be selected.
                              Perfect. A citation to your definition is even better.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
                                Of course.
                                Rock band from Long Island. Had a couple minor hits early 70's.

A friend of mine took guitar lessons from Leslie West. His parents were wealthy.

Comment

Working...
                                X