This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
    Well, it isn't fun to get hit in the face or stomach; so I can't really blame them.

My dad loved boxing, so I would watch a lot of fights with him, but it was never my thing. I dated a guy that was training as a boxer for a while. The whole time we were going out I couldn't stand to watch him fight. But when we broke up the memories of those fights became much more enjoyable for some reason.
    lol, funny how that works, eh?
    Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
      You should have been around when it was Ali, Foreman, Frazier and Norton.
      THAT was when boxing was great. No one cared about the other weight cl*****. It was all about the Heavyweights.
      add poor ol' Ernie Shavers to that mix. They were all afraid of his right hand.

Comment

Well, it isn't fun to get hit in the face or stomach; so I can't really blame them.

My dad loved boxing, so I would watch a lot of fights with him, but it was never my thing. I dated a guy that was training as a boxer for a while. The whole time we were going out I couldn't stand to watch him fight. But when we broke up the memories of those fights became much more enjoyable for some reason.
        lol... you're a pisser.

Comment

Yes I figured that. The fights were great but it was the exposure and story lines that made it what it was.
          Ali/Frazier I was the most hyped fight in history. ( It was also a great fight) It was so all consuming that leading up to the fight you were either identified as pro Frazier or pro Ali. It was always the first thing you asked someone when you saw them.

Even with all the social media and sports channels today, which we didn't have in 1971, there has never been anything like it.
          It was amazing, and you're absolutely right about two differing peeps...Pro Ali or Pro Joe. It was funny, like Dems vs, reps.
          Are you old enough to remember Danny "Little Red" Lopez, and his fight with Salvatore Sanchez?

Comment

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post
            It was amazing, and you're absolutely right about two differing peeps...Pro Ali or Pro Joe. It was funny, like Dems vs, reps.
            Are you old enough to remember Danny "Little Red" Lopez, and his fight with Salvatore Sanchez?
            Since I've never heard of it I would have to say no.

I was definitely pro Frazier. Being 12 years old at the time of the fight, most white suburban kids were. The funny thing is that almost everyone, myself included, who didn't like Ali in '71 ended up loving the guy.......especially leading up to the Foreman fight.
            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Danny LOpez was an orphan of Ute Indian, Mexican, and Irish mix. He fought Featherweight and won the championship in '76, then lost and regained it a few times.
              He was a skinny Irish looking kid with pasty white skin and red hair. He looked like your easy pushover. He was a notoriously slow starter as he had trouble warming up. He'd take a beating for a few rounds and then come on strong. He took punches that looked like they'd stop a horse. He'd buckle, regain his composure and keep coming on.
              Every fight he ever fought was great. Every fight Salvador Sanchez ever fought was great. Sanchez wins the title from Lopez in 13, in the fight I pasted here. Then they have a rematch that is equally as great and goes 14.
              Sanchez was champion for 2 years... a seriously great fighter, until he drove his Corvette at 100 mph underneath the back of a big rig.that was going much slower than him.
              If you take the time to watch this 13 rnd fight, and their rematch, you will be extremely happy that you did. This is every bit as great as any Ali/Frazier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhpCn3zjtUg
              Last edited by zimonami; 05-02-2017, 06:39 PM.

Comment

• "What about Rocky Marciano?"
                "There they go, there they go. Everytime I start talkin about boxing, a white man pulls Rocky Marciano out his ***. That's their one....Rocky Marciano wasn't **** compared to Joe Louis."
                "He whipped Joe Louis' ***..."
                "Joe Louis was 75 years old at that fight...he always lied about his age....I asked Frank Sinatra one time and he said Joe Louis is 137 years old."
                "Oh man you never met Frank Sinatra."
                "**** you, **** you, and **** you. Who's next?"
                "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                "No...I didn't."
                "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

I'm gathering you're a very vengeful individual.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                    Yea....I want her on my side....
                    Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                      Happy birthday Mikey.

Comment

• Yea....happy birthday Mikey....If that's even YOUR REAL NAME!!!!!
                        Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
                          Yea....happy birthday Mikey....If that's even YOUR REAL NAME!!!!!
                          Let me guess....It's YOUR birthday too?

Comment

• Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Comment

Let me guess....It's YOUR birthday too?
                              July 6
                              Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
                                July 6
                                I believe you.....

Comment

Working...
                                X