This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
    I got tix for his show in Forest Hills in July. I'll call you if my wife decides to bail.
    Where is Forest Hills???
    Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudy View Post
      Where is Forest Hills???
      Queens

Comment

• ON Long Island near where the Mets play baseball, in Queens County

Comment

• Dezz, I just saw the Truecar commercial you thought I starred in.
          It's actually just my evil twin
          Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
            Dezz, I just saw the Truecar commercial you thought I starred in.
            It's actually just my evil twin
            Anyone see the FB video of the Kase clone barfing on dog food. That was some funny **** there.
            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
              Anyone see the FB video of the Kase clone barfing on dog food. That was some funny **** there.
              Yesss lmao

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
                Since you teach music, Joe - you probably know that distortion was introduced accidentally by a guitar player named Paul Burlison, who played in a rockabilly band called the "Rock N' Roll Trio". It was 1956, and the song was "Train Kept a Rollin'" - later a Yardbirds and Aerosmith staple, and my favorite to crank a halftime of all Giants games.
                I have heard the name, but I was under the impression distortion was made a "thing" by Howlin' Wolf and Link Wray, both of whom Jimmy Page cites as major influences....in fact there's a video on youtube of Jimmy having a blast listening to that Link Wray tune.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLEUSn8y9TI
                Who knows who did what first? I mean, by the time Hendrix came along, it was game over.

But you know what? There's all kinds of stuff that has been surfacing since youtube hit: For example: anyone even vaguely familiar with Eddie Van Halen knows he does the "tapping thing" right?
                Well, dig this:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7M8L1rAUsI
                "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                "No...I didn't."
                "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• ^ I find the history of music and styles fascinating, even though I don't seem to have any ability myself. In particular, when I rediscover something that was vaguely familiar to me in early childhood (parents' records, for example), that was reworked by musicians I was introduced to later in my teen years.
                  Then you do find instances of plagerism, such as what Jimmy Page did with Howlin' Wolf and Willie Dixon. This was common in the Blues, and helped keep the songs from being forgotten - but give credit to the originators, or at least who you last heard it by. "Killing Floor" wasn't even recorded that long before it wound up on Zep II.

Comment

• BTW, I read on a music forum that the last song Chris Cornell performed, before killing himself, was "In My Time of Dying".

Comment

^ I find the history of music and styles fascinating, even though I don't seem to have any ability myself. In particular, when I rediscover something that was vaguely familiar to me in early childhood (parents' records, for example), that was reworked by musicians I was introduced to later in my teen years.
                      Then you do find instances of plagerism, such as what Jimmy Page did with Howlin' Wolf and Willie Dixon. This was common in the Blues, and helped keep the songs from being forgotten - but give credit to the originators, or at least who you last heard it by. "Killing Floor" wasn't even recorded that long before it wound up on Zep II.
                      No doubt, and Zep did the right thing by later crediting some of the blues artitsts they were totally floored by.

BTW, I can tell you for sure that the lawsuit by the band Spirit a couple years ago claiming Page stole the opening riff to Stairway is utter bull****.

That chord progression has been around since Bach.
                      Notable examples of it prior to Stairway include the chorus to Something by George Harrison.
                      "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                      "No...I didn't."
                      "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

BTW, I read on a music forum that the last song Chris Cornell performed, before killing himself, was "In My Time of Dying".
                        Ughhh...... so sad
                        "No...I didn't."

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
                          No doubt, and Zep did the right thing by later crediting some of the blues artitsts they were totally floored by.

BTW, I can tell you for sure that the lawsuit by the band Spirit a couple years ago claiming Page stole the opening riff to Stairway is utter bull****.

Notable examples of it prior to Stairway include the chorus to Something by George Harrison.
                          It's almost inevitable for someone who creates songs and has tunes running through their brain to not dwell on parts of older songs that have stuck subliminally in their brains. One of the best examples was George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" being a knockoff of "He's so fine" from the Chiffons in 1963.
                          **** happens. It's not always intentional, and sometimes it is. Only one person knows for sure.

Comment

• One thing about music: you can only copyright a melody and lyrics, not a chord progression.

In j***, this was what Charlie Parker did: came up with his own melodies to the same chords on tunes like "I Got Rhythm" and "Back Home In Indiana" etc.

Look up on youtube "Axis of Awesone:Four chords" and check out how many pop tunes use the same chords.
                            "No...I didn't."

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

That Spirit lawsuit (which was from the family of the songwriter of Taurus) was such nonsense. The arpeggio portion of Taurus is so generic that if they won, literally every song ever written could be challenged.
                              Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Exactly.

I mean, Jimmy Page should've just come out and said as much lol.....
                                "No...I didn't."

Comment

Working...
                                X