This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
    Hes already been paid millions to play a sport, he has not been grossly underpaid. He will get his contract eventually.
    Yea, his contract was a consolation prize for being drafted. Don't get me wrong. He has PLENTY of money....but, getting paid to be an NFL caliber player, and getting paid to be one of the best in the game are two drastically different things. Let's not play pretend just because you don't like him off the field.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

So you want to pay him at least double than what you're paying now because he might be worth a million or 2 more in a year or two from now?
      Also its not the case all the time. Sure contract prices go up every year but it also depends on the player and the team.
      No, I don't. If it were my decision I would have him play out his contract as is; all I am saying is it may turn out to be better for the Giants in the long run if they do it now. This isn't a black and white decision, it is all about what kind of risk are you willing to take, how does it balance happiness for the player and the ramifications for your dealings with other players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudy View Post
        And based on the player and team...especially the players we need Odell more than Odell needs the Giants.
        Actually, it is the other way around. If Odell refuses to play due to a contract dispute it hurts him more. He will not accrue a season and will not get any closer to FA, plus he will lose a year of income. The Giants hold all the cards and have all the leverage right now. If he makes too much of an issue of himself, it will lower his value if he ever reaches FA. No matter how the Giants handle this they will get the better end of the deal. The only sure thing is when players and teams fight about money the losers every time are the fans.

Comment

I disagree. He wants to stay in a major market so he can get more endorsements. Odell needs the Giants more.
          Odel can make endorsements regardless of market, its the fringe players that need a bigger market. Really dezzz...do you have opposable thumbs? I am starting to wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudy View Post
            And that's true because....you say so? Not everyone is going to stay just because it's NYC dude. Teams know that and they don't care..and Odell wont either. I guarantee you there are PLENTY of teams willing to match the Giants or even more for him. And what good are the media endorsements in N.Y. if the media and fans **** on him every chance they get lol. He's going to get paid.
            Plenty of teams willing to match or beat what the Giants offer him now, problem is he does not have the freedom to take advantage of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
              Odel can make endorsements regardless of market, its the fringe players that need a bigger market. Really dezzz...do you have opposable thumbs? I am starting to wonder.
              Are you kidding? You think he'd get that Nike contract if he played in Cleveland?
              How many commercials do you see Eli in? How many do you see Brady in or any other QB? Elis selling Dunkin Donuts, Citizen Watches, friggin oreos, Toyota, Direct TV.....

This isn't even debatable Jenn

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
                I think many restaurants would cook the duck almost all the way ahead of time, and then give it a quick reheat and / or broil once ordered? If that's true, I've never had an issue with the quality. I want that whole thing. I know it sounds disgusting, but I could probably eat just the skin from 2 or 3 of those ****ers. Last time we were away, I ordered a half duck at a nice seafood place the first night, and went back the next night for what I called "the other half".
                Well most restaurants don't care if the food quality is garbage and most restaurant patrons can't tell the difference anyway. Generally speaking, if you go to a good restaurant, the chef cares more about the quality of the food he is serving you than you do.

Comment

• Wonder Woman is so flippin hawt. No tush though...

Comment

Are you kidding? You think he'd get that Nike contract if he played in Cleveland?
                    How many commercials do you see Eli in? How many do you see Brady in or any other QB? Elis selling Dunkin Donuts, Citizen Watches, friggin oreos, Toyota, Direct TV.....

If his performance matches what he has done in New York, than yes. But he can thank Eli more for that Nike contract than New York. What you are saying might have been true 15-20 years ago, but it simply isn't the case. I think it was Forbes who did a piece on this exact subject about 6 years ago. It is the fringe players, the starters who are known locally but afterthoughts nationally that are helped by the larger markets as there are more opportunities for them. You are right, it isn't debatable, you are incorrect, but you should be used to that by now.

Comment

awww you called her Jenn!! You really DO like her!!!
                      Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

If his performance matches what he has done in New York, than yes. But he can thank Eli more for that Nike contract than New York. What you are saying might have been true 15-20 years ago, but it simply isn't the case. I think it was Forbes who did a piece on this exact subject about 6 years ago. It is the fringe players, the starters who are known locally but afterthoughts nationally that are helped by the larger markets as there are more opportunities for them. You are right, it isn't debatable, you are incorrect, but you should be used to that by now.
                        He can thank Eli more for the Nike contract? Why?
                        You needed a Forbs article to tell you average players benefit more playing in a bigger market? Thats ok, not everyone understands common sense. Now apply that same common sense logic, wouldn't you think elite players such as Odell would have even more opportunities than the average player in a market like NYC?
                        You made my point, thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
                          awww you called her Jenn!! You really DO like her!!!
                          I meant Jen. I'll compromise though, I will address her as Jennelly.

Comment

He can thank Eli more for the Nike contract? Why?
                            You needed a Forbs article to tell you average players benefit more playing in a bigger market? Thats ok, not everyone understands common sense. Now apply that same common sense logic, wouldn't you think elite players such as Odell would have even more opportunities than the average player in a market like NYC?
                            You made my point, thank you.
                            The article said that the top end players will make top end endorsement money regardless of the market they play in or the success of their team. This is not true for the fringe players. Odel could play for an 0-16 Cleveland team, as long as he is putting up numbers and making highlight reel plays, he would get the endorsements. The reason I said Eli, is because he plays for a team with a QB who can get him the ball, Cleveland in general does not have that. But any WR making big money needs to give a little thanks for the QB that helps him. Just like RBs need to thankl the OL and QBs need to thank all the other players on offense. There is no one man show in football and the players that help you achieve success and notority have more to do with your endorsment earning potential than the city anymore.

Comment

I meant Jen. I'll compromise though, I will address her as Jennelly.
                              ...sounds like a hair product or something....
                              Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

The article said that the top end players will make top end endorsement money regardless of the market they play in or the success of their team. This is not true for the fringe players. Odel could play for an 0-16 Cleveland team, as long as he is putting up numbers and making highlight reel plays, he would get the endorsements. The reason I said Eli, is because he plays for a team with a QB who can get him the ball, Cleveland in general does not have that. But any WR making big money needs to give a little thanks for the QB that helps him. Just like RBs need to thankl the OL and QBs need to thank all the other players on offense. There is no one man show in football and the players that help you achieve success and notority have more to do with your endorsment earning potential than the city anymore.
                                Ok, now if that were true why doesn't Brady, Rodgers, Drew Brees, Ben, Russel Wilson, have more major endorsements than Eli?
                                Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Eli had more endorsements than all of them combined.

Comment

Working...
                                X