This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
    Please don't. I think I speak for the board when I say none of us give a flying **** what your BIIL thinks.
    My BiL is a lawyer in the area and has represented athletes from time to time. Several friends of his are sports agents to professional athletes. I don't care what that ******* thinks either, but he can find out from people who can give an educated opinion on the subject since it is what they do for a living. Honestly, I am curious if the agents agree with me or think the city has a big impact. If you guys don't care, I won't share what they say, but I am curious enough now to want to know.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
      My BiL is a lawyer in the area and has represented athletes from time to time. Several friends of his are sports agents to professional athletes. I don't care what that ******* thinks either, but he can find out from people who can give an educated opinion on the subject since it is what they do for a living. Honestly, I am curious if the agents agree with me or think the city has a big impact. If you guys don't care, I won't share what they say, but I am curious enough now to want to know.
      It just seems like a lot of work to go through just to verify what we al already know, which is that Fez is wrong.

Comment

It just seems like a lot of work to go through just to verify what we al already know, which is that Fez is wrong.
        Yea, it's not like we ever read things he posts with a reaction of "right on, fez!".....
        Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

I'm pretty sure he is, but I am willing to entertain the notion that he may be correct. So for my own curiousity I will ask him to find out and deal with whatever snide remarks about my personal worth he feels like throwing at me this week. Cooked dinner at their house last night and he wasn't too insufferable, so maybe he'll find out without comment or just as likely to tell me to **** off and block my email address. I'm really never sure what it will be.

I'll share if it turns out dezzz is right, otherwise I won't bother.

Comment

• You make duck?
            "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
            "No...I didn't."
            "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
              You make duck?
              I've made it twice. Both times I split it in half, and baked it on a rack - right over the stuffing. The first time, I thought it came out pretty good, and the greasy stuffing was to die for. The second time, it seemed there hardly any meat to it - must have been a scrawny one.
              I previously asked Jenn if it's true that many places cook the duck ahead of time, but didn't get the exact answer I was looking for.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
                I've made it twice. Both times I split it in half, and baked it on a rack - right over the stuffing. The first time, I thought it came out pretty good, and the greasy stuffing was to die for. The second time, it seemed there hardly any meat to it - must have been a scrawny one.
                I previously asked Jenn if it's true that many places cook the duck ahead of time, but didn't get the exact answer I was looking for.
                yes, they generally cook things like that in batches. The last place I worked when we did them, chef ran them in batches that would finish every 20 minutes. If nobody ordered them within 10 min of them coming out they were shrunk and made into soup the next day.

Comment

yes, they generally cook things like that in batches. The last place I worked when we did them, chef ran them in batches that would finish every 20 minutes. If nobody ordered them within 10 min of them coming out they were shrunk and made into soup the next day.
                  No way! I've never seen duck soup anywhere, other than the Marx Bros movie. The place where I last had it was on the desolate North Fork of L.I., off season. Place was empty both nights. Hard to believe they'd be making batches of duck for just a few customers, each night. It had to be reheated, yet it was very good.

Comment

• I don't understand the disagreements over duck.

From what I remember, Jenn said a whole duck can't be made quickly which is why people don't order it in restaraunts but I supplied a video of arguably the best chef on the planet making one in 20 minutes.
                    I understand that is not how restaraunts operate I worked in a few but the concept is the same: it can be done.
                    Then Jimmie said he had one 2 nights in a row on a vacation or something. Jim: how long does it take you to make a duck?
                    WTF is the big deal? Duck tastes good, if, like anything else, it's fresh and prepared correctly.
                    "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                    "No...I didn't."
                    "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

I don't understand the disagreements over duck.

From what I remember, Jenn said a whole duck can't be made quickly which is why people don't order it in restaraunts but I supplied a video of arguably the best chef on the planet making one in 20 minutes.
                      I understand that is not how restaraunts operate I worked in a few but the concept is the same: it can be done.
                      Then Jimmie said he had one 2 nights in a row on a vacation or something. Jim: how long does it take you to make a duck?
                      WTF is the big deal? Duck tastes good, if, like anything else, it's fresh and prepared correctly.
                      Joe, I believe it took about 2 hours, and I did split it ahead of time. I think restaurants also split it, ahead of time - based on how the underside looked. I imagine a duck would taste better and stay juicier, if you left it whole while cooking. Maybe some places broil it, or have higher temp ovens - but there must be quite a bit of splattering and smoke?
                      I would love to cook for a living, and have been told I'd make a great chef - but I can't tolerate heat and humidity very well.

Comment

• Now let all the duck homers and haters come...

Comment

Joe, I believe it took about 2 hours, and I did split it ahead of time. I think restaurants also split it, ahead of time - based on how the underside looked. I imagine a duck would taste better and stay juicier, if you left it whole while cooking. Maybe some places broil it, or have higher temp ovens - but there must be quite a bit of splattering and smoke?
                          I would love to cook for a living, and have been told I'd make a great chef - but I can't tolerate heat and humidity very well.
                          I dig man.

Probably the duck I've had in restaurants was pre-cooked to a degree. I still enjoyed it. I'd love to make it at home but there are no reputable butcher's around here.
                          "No...I didn't."

Comment

No way! I've never seen duck soup anywhere, other than the Marx Bros movie. The place where I last had it was on the desolate North Fork of L.I., off season. Place was empty both nights. Hard to believe they'd be making batches of duck for just a few customers, each night. It had to be reheated, yet it was very good.
                            They probably do reheat the food. But their duck dish probably wasn't $45 either.

Comment

They probably do reheat the food. But their duck dish probably wasn't $45 either.
                              It was around $24. It had a lot of plum sauce on it, which might have made it easier to pass off. I enjoyed it immensely, which is all that matters.

Comment

I don't understand the disagreements over duck.

Not what I said. People don't order a half duck very often, it isn't popular, it is expensive and you have high waste unless you cook it to order and most people don't want to sit around for their slow roasted duck. The question was why restaurants generally don't serve half duck anymore and only serve breasts. Answered again the first part, now here is the second part again. Breasts offer more flexibility in preparation and a lower overall food cost even if cost to gate is higher per pound.

Comment

Working...
                                X