This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
    He likely meant Sharia Law which I agree with him. Sharia Law contradicts the constitution.
    The important thing to remember is that not all muslims live by Sharia law. If one does, then you are cprrect... the laws of Sharia contradict the Constitution, but also the moral principles that differ... like the way a woman is treated. People who live by Sharia law are the ones who believe that all Cjristians are infidels. That's what they were called when Christians were the aggressors in the Crusades. Sharia law does not forgive that, and has no tolerance for other religions. My way or the highway.
    But, a muslim can live by his own interpretation of the Koran, and recognize the difference in times between Muhammed and today.
    Just like some idiots believed JFK would run the Presidency adhering to Catholic principles. Obviouslly he didn't.
    All of us rationalize our own behavior, and live by some principles that we were raised with, or which we perceived as we grew. We don't live strictly by the laws of any church.
    I know I talk a lot. You can stop reading any time.
    A lesson which has stayed with me...
    My mom was a good Catholic and went to church every dat. I went to Catholic grammar school. I came home one day while in 3rd grade... Mm, the nun was talking about heaven, hell, and purgatory... and who goes where, and why. She said that if you are not a Catholic you can't go to heaven.
    My mom said... "You know Doctor Levine (our Jewish neighbor and our family doctor). Is he a good man?"
    "Yes, Mom, he is a very good man."
    "So, do you think God would keep him out of heaven because he is Jewish?"
    No, Mom, He wouldn't."
    "Then that's your answer, You have to use your own brain when it comes to believeing everything people tell you."
    Then came some reinforcement when I was a senior in Manhattan College... run by Christian Bros., and I had to take a theology course every year. My senior year I took, "Creeds of the Christian World:", taught by a Catholic priest. He said... most of you are Catholic and have been raised to believe Catholicism. I am going to teach you the origins of all other Christian religions, and why they came about.
    Of course is started with Martin Luther, although there were many before him who wanted to break away. The Catholic Church was very corrupt, he taught us... and went thorough dozens of examples, including the Crusades, and the true missionary goals of that.
    For example... eating meat on Fridays was a sin when I was younger. It became a sin because ... and this is true... the fishermen, a lobby if you want to call it that, came to the Pope and said, "Farming of pigs and cows and lambs is growing so much that our businesses are all declining.
    Tell you what, says Popey, I'll make one day a week a no-meat day. We'll make it a Friday because Jesus was crucified on a Friday. So, in His honor, no meat on Friday. That will insure a lot more business..
    True story, and thus the origins of what was a sin. Jesus didn't make it a sin. Moses didn't come down off the mountain and call it a sin. It was a man made sin. The pope was always considered infallible. The current pope, Francis, was the first pope in history that admitted he was not infallible.
    All this made me realize that manmade religions based on man made rules are quite fallible, and if there is a God, meeting him is strictly based on being a good person, and not blindly following man made rules.
    I could go on, but prob few of you even read this far... lol. Sorry for the boredom.lol... I'll go back to work now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
      And yet we have 240 years as the most prosperous, powerful and just country on the planet.
      Shhhhhh.....most don't want to hear that irrelevant propaganda from the sensible people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post
        So, a Muslim can't possibly put the country first but Christians can?

That almost sounds um, what's that word?
        Frankly, any religious persone would face the same issue. If they are true to their religion than that will come first and the country second and will disqualify them IMO. If they can put the country first than their specific religion, which is clearly secondary to them, does not matter IMO. You cannot believe in Sharia Law and the Constitution/Bill of Rights. They are contradictory. So if a self proclaimed muslim can believe in the Constitution/Bill of Rights, then they are perfectly qualified. Not all muslims believe in Sharia Law, many people from all religions pick and choose what they wish to believe from the teachings. There is nothing wrong with that, that is what belief is and it is individual. Only those who can't think for themselves will follow any organised religion without interpreting it to their own belief and values.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
          Frankly, any religious persone would face the same issue. If they are true to their religion than that will come first and the country second and will disqualify them IMO. If they can put the country first than their specific religion, which is clearly secondary to them, does not matter IMO. You cannot believe in Sharia Law and the Constitution/Bill of Rights. They are contradictory. So if a self proclaimed muslim can believe in the Constitution/Bill of Rights, then they are perfectly qualified. Not all muslims believe in Sharia Law, many people from all religions pick and choose what they wish to believe from the teachings. There is nothing wrong with that, that is what belief is and it is individual. Only those who can't think for themselves will follow any organised religion without interpreting it to their own belief and values.
          +1, especially the last sentence. People who interpret the Bible literally simply amaze me, that they are intelligent, but don't think for themselves when it comes to religion.
          And, yes I know there are well over a billion muslims, and felt comfortable stating only that ,millions of them do not beiieve in Sharia.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post
            My mom was a good Catholic and went to church every dat. I went to Catholic grammar school. I came home one day while in 3rd grade... Mm, the nun was talking about heaven, hell, and purgatory... and who goes where, and why. She said that if you are not a Catholic you can't go to heaven.
            My mom said... "You know Doctor Levine (our Jewish neighbor and our family doctor). Is he a good man?"
            No, Mom, He wouldn't."
            "Then that's your answer, You have to use your own brain when it comes to believeing everything people tell you."
            Then came some reinforcement when I was a senior in Manhattan College... run by Christian Bros., and I had to take a theology course every year. My senior year I took, "Creeds of the Christian World:", taught by a Catholic priest. He said... most of you are Catholic and have been raised to believe Catholicism. I am going to teach you the origins of all other Christian religions, and why they came about.
            Of course is started with Martin Luther, although there were many before him who wanted to break away. The Catholic Church was very corrupt, he taught us... and went thorough dozens of examples, including the Crusades, and the true missionary goals of that.
            For example... eating meat on Fridays was a sin when I was younger. It became a sin because ... and this is true... the fishermen, a lobby if you want to call it that, came to the Pope and said, "Farming of pigs and cows and lambs is growing so much that our businesses are all declining.
            Tell you what, says Popey, I'll make one day a week a no-meat day. We'll make it a Friday because Jesus was crucified on a Friday. So, in His honor, no meat on Friday. That will insure a lot more business..
            True story, and thus the origins of what was a sin. Jesus didn't make it a sin. Moses didn't come down off the mountain and call it a sin. It was a man made sin. The pope was always considered infallible. The current pope, Francis, was the first pope in history that admitted he was not infallible.
            All this made me realize that manmade religions based on man made rules are quite fallible, and if there is a God, meeting him is strictly based on being a good person, and not blindly following man made rules.
            I could go on, but prob few of you even read this far... lol. Sorry for the boredom.lol... I'll go back to work now.

That Noah was a tough S.O.B.
            Not only did he build a giant boat out of solid wood by himself....friggin guy went out and wrested two of every lion, tiger, bear, and alligator and dragged their *** to that ark.

I mean, that's a tough one to top.
            "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
            "No...I didn't."
            "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
              That Noah was a tough S.O.B.
              Not only did he build a giant boat out of solid wood by himself....friggin guy went out and wrested two of every lion, tiger, bear, and alligator and dragged their *** to that ark.

I mean, that's a tough one to top.
              Giants helped build it if I recollect.

Not the NY Giants though.

Comment

• Well, to be fair I think TC was around back then.
                "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                "No...I didn't."
                "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

The important thing to remember is that not all muslims live by Sharia law. If one does, then you are cprrect... the laws of Sharia contradict the Constitution, but also the moral principles that differ... like the way a woman is treated. People who live by Sharia law are the ones who believe that all Cjristians are infidels. That's what they were called when Christians were the aggressors in the Crusades. Sharia law does not forgive that, and has no tolerance for other religions. My way or the highway.
                  But, a muslim can live by his own interpretation of the Koran, and recognize the difference in times between Muhammed and today.
                  Just like some idiots believed JFK would run the Presidency adhering to Catholic principles. Obviouslly he didn't.
                  All of us rationalize our own behavior, and live by some principles that we were raised with, or which we perceived as we grew. We don't live strictly by the laws of any church.
                  I know I talk a lot. You can stop reading any time.
                  No, Mom, He wouldn't."
                  Not boring at all Zim.
                  Plenty of evil people in all religions that twist the teachings to their sick way of thinking or just to make money.
                  But in todays world the mass killings of innocent people are largely due to Muslim extremists. They kill in the name of their god and most of their victims are other Muslims. The good Muslims are the only ones who can stop it all. The west is hand cuffed by political correctness. The problem is most don't seem to have much interest getting involved.

All religion is bull****. I'm a man of science.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
                    Well, to be fair I think TC was around back then.
                    Big **** Tom Coughlin WAS Noah. He built it by himself.

God loved him so much he reincarnated him as Mosses too.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
                      anarchy?
                      Let them eat cake

Comment

Not boring at all Zim.
                        Plenty of evil people in all religions that twist the teachings to their sick way of thinking or just to make money.
                        But in todays world the mass killings of innocent people are largely due to Muslim extremists. They kill in the name of their god and most of their victims are other Muslims. The good Muslims are the only ones who can stop it all. The west is hand cuffed by political correctness. The problem is most don't seem to have much interest getting involved.

All religion is bull****. I'm a man of science.
                        I often think the good ones don't bother getting involved because they don't want themselves and their family threatened. How can you even begin to change a zealot who thinks they are absolutely correct in the first place. it would be lucky to get 1% of them to even listen to you, and reason out what you said, and decide you were right. Wow, novel concept... a fairytale in actuality. You need to change their leaders... in Iran that is an Ayatollah. Change them to preach a more tolerant and compassionate credd. Hmmm... that would be a monumental task. You need someone of influence to millions, like Pope Francis who was the first Pope, ever, to admit he wasn't infallible.
                        Last edited by zimonami; 06-15-2017, 11:23 AM.

Comment

I often think the good ones don't bother getting involved because they don't want themselves and their family threatened. How can you even begin to change a zealot who thinks they are absolutely correct in the first place. it would be lucky to get 1% of them to even listen to you, and reason out what you said, and decide you were right. Wow, novel concept... a fairytale in actuality. You need to change their leaders... in Iran that is an Ayatollah. Change them to preach a more tolerant and compassionate credd. Hmmm... that would be a monumental task. You need someone of influence to millions, like Pope Francis who was the first Pope, ever to admit he wasn't infallible.
                          Absolutely, win hearts and minds but you need to fight back against these barbaric *******s. Christians stopped fighting wars in the name of God or for religion long before Francis said he wasn't infallible.

I agree with you on that but where are these leaders that preach peace?
                          Sometimes you have to fight back like the Iraqis, the Kurds and other Syrian fractions vs the likes of ISIS and other moronic cult groups.
                          When a bully hits you you dont just stand there.

Comment

I often think the good ones don't bother getting involved because they don't want themselves and their family threatened. How can you even begin to change a zealot who thinks they are absolutely correct in the first place. it would be lucky to get 1% of them to even listen to you, and reason out what you said, and decide you were right. Wow, novel concept... a fairytale in actuality. You need to change their leaders... in Iran that is an Ayatollah. Change them to preach a more tolerant and compassionate credd. Hmmm... that would be a monumental task. You need someone of influence to millions, like Pope Francis who was the first Pope, ever to admit he wasn't infallible.
                            The leaders that are moderate need to speak out and denounce what the radical groups are doing, they are not doing that. By their non-action they are showing their approval. When the only voice they are hearing from their religious leaders is one of hate and tolorance, that is the voice they will listen to. That is true for any belief system, any one can be twisted and used by evil people to persuade and control, and they all have been at one time or another; at one scale or another. The real problem is the exsistence of organized religion, which they all do more to divide people than to bring them together. The whole concept of somebody telling me what I should believe without proof is so foreign to me that I cannot understand why anybody would join or follow any religion. To me it seems contrary to the notion of a belief system.

Wow, reminds me of arguments with my mother. She would put or hang a cross in my room everyday, and everyday I would take it down.

Comment

When a bully hits you you dont just stand there.
                              I am of the opinion that when a bully hits you, you don't just hit them back, you make it so they can't or won't hit you again.

Comment

• Anyone else surprised the Giants havn't signed a vet kicker yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X