This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

John Lennon was kind of an *******. But he didn't physically hurt anyone.

How can you possibly argue with me on this?
    Thousands of ears were brutally tortured, when he brought his wonderful Yoko on stage.

Comment

Robin Williams had a disease. Wasn't his fault he was an addict. Yes, you could say he hurt his family by taking his own life, but he didn't physically hurt them.

OJ Simpson was a great player. But I don't go around watching old film of him playing. Why? His legacy is tarnished by murdering two people.

John Lennon was kind of an *******. But he didn't physically hurt anyone. Buddy Rich was a miserable son of a *****. He never hurt a fly.

Bernie Madoff might've been a really nice guy but he ****ed over thousands of people and ruined their lives by purposefully deceiving them and ripping them off.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding morally judgmental and you think it's not my place to do so, but to me how you treat other people (like not killing them or raping or beating them and bankrupting them) trumps whatever other accomplishments a person has made in life.

I don't care how funny Cosby was; it's no longer funny because we found out the guy telling the jokes probably went back to his hotel room that night and assaulted a woman against her will.

How can you possibly argue with me on this?

I am not saying you are being unjustly morally judgemental. There is no supporting a creature who does that sort of thing. Nor do I think you should do otherwise. For me, if somebody says something funny, its funny, it doesn't matter who said it. Laughing at his jokes does not mean I support or excuse his actions. I am not arguing, or not trying to, just trying to understand how a joke can be less funny because of an unrelated thing the teller of the joke did.

Comment

• You are able to seperate a person's "accomplishments" from their later behavior.
        I am unable to.
        "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
        "No...I didn't."
        "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

I used to love that Bill Cosby stand up routine from the early 80's.....it was one of my favorite things ever.

But then we found out he drugged and raped a bunch of women.

I mean, nothing can stay pure in this life, can it?
          Shirley Temple stayed the course

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post

I'm a big fan of TC and the injuries drove me nuts. The thing though that made me think it was time for him to go was how poor the discipline was on game day. Dumb penalties, dumb decisions, dumb behavior, looking unprepared. For a coach with his reputation, it was a fairly large problem IMO.
            I'm a big TC supporter, but last season I felt he shouldn't have been coaching... should have retired after 2015, or even 2014.
            He was not in tune with clock management at the end of the game, and he wasn't even totally aware of what was goin g on with ODB in the Carolina game. A few years earlier and TC would have had ODB out of that game and riding the pine.
            He lost control of managing the game in real time.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post
              I'm a big TC supporter, but last season I felt he shouldn't have been coaching... should have retired after 2015, or even 2014.
              He was not in tune with clock management at the end of the game, and he wasn't even totally aware of what was goin g on with ODB in the Carolina game. A few years earlier and TC would have had ODB out of that game and riding the pine.
              He lost control of managing the game in real time.
              Precisely. The other stuff about creating injuries, seems a stretch, and cannot be proven. And discipline is a two way street, between the players and coach. Part of the problem is changing times and attitude.

Comment

You are able to seperate a person's "accomplishments" from their later behavior.
                I am unable to.
                Compared to how I see other people I know handle this, I have a problem with changing my perception of individuals, once I have formed it. In another words, I don't easily embrace their accomplishments or change in behavior, once I've gotten a bad taste from them. But I don't admit so much this is my problem, just being wary of being fooled again.

Comment

• I start by recognizing that every single human being can be a big ahole at times, and every one of us has faults. I judge my athletes and actors by how I like the work they do, and I don't judge anything in their personal life because the media exposes many, but not all of us. I think it is unfair in many ways to expose those warts that we all have, but it will never stop... that is the price of celebrity. Like it is said... Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I liked Cosby as an actor and a comedian, but like so many others it turned out that he was a big ahole in real life. He is not alone... he was just one that was caught and exposed because of his celebrity, and nailed as a hypocrite because of his Holier than thou fašade among his own race.

Comment

• Is it possible that Cosby just has a messed up looking wee wee? His actions just seem so odd, for someone we thought we knew so well.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

Compared to how I see other people I know handle this, I have a problem with changing my perception of individuals, once I have formed it. In another words, I don't easily embrace their accomplishments or change in behavior, once I've gotten a bad taste from them. But I don't admit so much this is my problem, just being wary of being fooled again.
                      Meet the new boss.
                      Same as the old boss.
                      "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                      "No...I didn't."
                      "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
                        Is it possible that Cosby just has a messed up looking wee wee? His actions just seem so odd, for someone we thought we knew so well.

People do think they know these celebrities well. I don't understand that, it is hard to even know people close to you well. They surprise you all the time, everybody has secrets and things they don't share. How often do we hear, "I've known him/her my whole life and never suspected he/she was capable of that." on the news? There is only one person you can truly know well and that is yourself, even that for most is difficult. We don't know these celebrities, never have, never will. We only know how they want to be perceived and how the media wants them to be perceived.

Comment

• What are your thoughts on Zach Orr?

Season ends and he is set to be a RFA. Announces he is retiring due to injury. Team does not tender him since he will not be returning. Time to tender expires. Suddenly, Zach Orr's injury isn't so bad and he will be coming back. Is now an UFA. Good way to get a bigger payday and not be locked into the salary structure of the first few years in the league.

I'm not sure that neck injury was all that real. What do you guys think?

Comment

• Jenn-
                            I tried calling you last night, but I think you gave me the wrong number.....
                            Is it still 867-5309?
                            "No...I didn't."

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
                              What are your thoughts on Zach Orr?

Season ends and he is set to be a RFA. Announces he is retiring due to injury. Team does not tender him since he will not be returning. Time to tender expires. Suddenly, Zach Orr's injury isn't so bad and he will be coming back. Is now an UFA. Good way to get a bigger payday and not be locked into the salary structure of the first few years in the league.

I'm not sure that neck injury was all that real. What do you guys think?
                              Seems like either way the guys full of ****. Either the injury really is a problem or he lied about it so he could be released. Im always open to feeling the situation out but it doesn't look good right from the start.

Comment

• E
                                Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                                Seems like either way the guys full of ****. Either the injury really is a problem or he lied about it so he could be released. Im always open to feeling the situation out but it doesn't look good right from the start.
                                Either way...stay away from it.
                                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Working...
                                X