This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post

lol, JR... you might be singing to MH and Joe's method as you get into your 50's. Hope you don't have cholesterol problems down the road. ... oh yeah, there's a pill for that. I know, lol.... but, mine is genetic and was meant to be... not from bad eating habits. And, I hear ya about the deliciosness of the sausage grease in your method... no denying.... it took a while for me to absorb the idea that it was a bad eating habit. How can more delicious be bad?
    Long life is better than delicious.
    I know plenty of guys whose wives cook very healthy - only turkey in the chili, only chicken sausages, no steaks allowed. And then they sneak bacon and egg sandwiches every morning, Burger King for lunch... I love to cook, we're very happy with leftovers, and rarely have takeout. Not so sure I'd enjoy doing the cooking, if I couldn't do it my way. So then we'd be doing takeout, and getting all that cholesterol that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

Are we talking about Sunday sauce? (And yes, it's called Sauce, not gravy.)

Bud, my family's recipe has been this forever:

Saute an onion and some garlic in olive oil. Stir in a can of tomato paste and let it cook for a minute or 2. Throw in a few cans of tomatoes (San Marzano is preferred)....add a couple bay leaves. Add some water if necessary. Salt and pepper. Add the meatballs and sausage, maybe some ribs or even some pork chops, throw in some basil leaves.....let it simmer on low partially covered for 3-4 hours.

Eat.
      Sounds good, Joe. I have no Italian in me, but have found every variation I've tried came out great, and the leftovers sometimes taste better than the day I cooked the meal. One thing that I make, that I've never heard of anyone or place making, is pork cutlets parmasean. Just as good as veal, to me. I have a big garden, too - and it looks like we'll be having a lot of eggplant this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

I have a big garden, too - and it looks like we'll be having a lot of eggplant this year.
        Oh man....a tray off eggplant parm homemade....heaven......

Problem is: it takes a gallon of oil to fry the eggplant.

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
        "No...I didn't."
        "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• I would like to hear from Dezipoo today.
          Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

. One thing that I make, that I've never heard of anyone or place making, is pork cutlets parmasean. Just as good as veal, to me.

Yeah....I imagine that is great....veal is hard to find good quality......

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
            "No...I didn't."
            "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
              I would like to hear from Dezipoo today.
              Yes, I myself am wondering about his whereabouts....
              Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

Oh man....a tray off eggplant parm homemade....heaven......

Problem is: it takes a gallon of oil to fry the eggplant.
                I pick the eggplants while they're still small, and very little seeds in them. Not sure why restaurants slice them so thin, - I slice them about 3/4" thick, and peel off the skin. I think this method uses a lot less oil.

Comment

lol, JR... you might be singing to MH and Joe's method as you get into your 50's. Hope you don't have cholesterol problems down the road. ... oh yeah, there's a pill for that. I know, lol.... but, mine is genetic and was meant to be... not from bad eating habits. And, I hear ya about the deliciosness of the sausage grease in your method... no denying.... it took a while for me to absorb the idea that it was a bad eating habit. How can more delicious be bad?
                  Long life is better than delicious.
                  How've you been feeling Zim?
                  "No...I didn't."

Comment

Yeah....I imagine that is great....veal is hard to find good quality......
                    I don't even see veal at the supermarket I go to, but I remember it being very expensive. A big pack of pork cutlets is sometimes like $4.

Comment

How've you been feeling Zim?
                      As long as I don't need to walk up hill, or run, I'm a happy camper. If I bend over to pick up as paper clip I'm huffing and puffing. The lungs don't suck enough. lol. For someone who was very athletic for a long time, I hate having to stay sedentary. Sometimes I just want to run across the street, instead of walking, like I did as a kid. Those days are gone. But, happy to be alive.
                      Thanks for asking, Joe.
                      Last edited by zimonami; 07-12-2017, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• Take it easy this time of year Zim-
                        The heat and humidity ain't exactly a good combo....

If you don't mind me asking: were you a smoker?
                        (I don't mean your looks....naturally you got all the dames....I mean cigs...)
                        "No...I didn't."

Comment

Take it easy this time of year Zim-
                          The heat and humidity ain't exactly a good combo....

If you don't mind me asking: were you a smoker?
                          (I don't mean your looks....naturally you got all the dames....I mean cigs...)
                          hahahaha. I'm an open book, so I never mind a question like that. I started smoking at 13. My coaches HATED me. They knew. Fortunately at that time I would get a second wind and be OK.
                          I quit for a year, here and there, but smoked until 7 years ago, 63. I was 20- 30 cigs a day. My wife was 50 a day... got lung cancer and then it metastecized to the brain, which killed her. She never quit. I was diagnosed with COPD and Emphysema 15 years ago, and continued to smoke for 8nyears. DUH>
                          The heart started AFib 2.5 years ago. .

Comment

• So sorry about your wife Zim....
                            My parents were heavy smokers too....died almost 20 years ago...
                            Treatments have come a long way since then...hopefully you'll never need anything like that...
                            Just don't cook Jimmie's grease laden sauce...it'll kill a horse
                            "No...I didn't."

Comment

So sorry about your wife Zim....
                              My parents were heavy smokers too....died almost 20 years ago...
                              Treatments have come a long way since then...hopefully you'll never need anything like that...
                              Just don't cook Jimmie's grease laden sauce...it'll kill a horse
                              hahahaha... emphasis on the sausage grease/oil. Maybe he's on to something... he can sell capsuled in the Vitamin and Supplements aisle at Wal Mart... right next to the Omega 3 fish oil... Guaranteed to keep your heart on edge. If all else fails, it should lube your lawnmower engine pretty good... and just imagine how you'll enjoy the smell as you're mowing. Only bacon grease could beat it.
                              Thanks about Kris.... nearly 8 years now... but, we had 42 excellent years. I was blessed to have a partner where we were able to talk about anything... any topic... we never ran out of enjoying each other's conversation... always enjoyed hanging together. Had 2 arguments in 42 years. It went too fast, but it was a pleasure.
                              Last edited by zimonami; 07-13-2017, 12:34 AM.

Comment

hahahaha... emphasis on the sausage grease/oil. Maybe he's on to something... he can sell capsuled in the Vitamin and Supplements aisle at Wal Mart... right next to the Omega 3 fish oil... Guaranteed to keep your heart on edge. If all else fails, it should lube your lawnmower engine pretty good... and just imagine how you'll enjoy the smell as you're mowing. Only bacon grease could beat it.
                                Thanks about Kris.... nearly 8 years now... but, we had 42 excellent years. I was blessed to have a partner where we were able to talk about anything... any topic... we never ran out of enjoying each other's conversation... always enjoyed hanging together. Had 2 arguments in 42 years. It went too fast, but it was a pleasure.
                                That's funny, because I just went to a Walmart for the first time, yesterday. They offer a few things the dog likes, that I can't find anywhere else. I've never seen a store so packed, or checkout lines that took so long. And the interesting odors coming from some of these individuals, they stank out an entire section. I would have expected to see straw stuck to their rears, like at the zoo.
                                Although I've been with my wife for 30 years, conversation has always been an issue. I won't agree to something I'm not on board with, and she focuses on little grammar errors, instead of the intent of my words. I think she's way overmedicated, and too zoned out with the TV. You were very fortunate to have shared so much in your time with your wife.

Comment

Working...
                                X