This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post

I'm a firm believer that it's the players decision to put his body on the line and his alone, but the league needs to step up and take care of these guys after their careers are over. When they're playing in the league they have access to some of the best doctors in the world. It should be the same way as they retire and get older, because thats when they really need it.
    It is definitely their decision, and I'm not going to cry for them. I've mentioned before, that I work an extremely dangerous job for menial pay. But I assume these brain injuries are irreversible. Medical care after they retire doesn't do much for the trauma we're talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

I've mentioned before, that I work an extremely dangerous job for menial pay.

Male stripper??

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
      "No...I didn't."
      "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

It is definitely their decision, and I'm not going to cry for them. I've mentioned before, that I work an extremely dangerous job for menial pay. But I assume these brain injuries are irreversible. Medical care after they retire doesn't do much for the trauma we're talking about.
        Well the league can pay for home aides to help assist former players with brain injuries, medication. Things of that nature.

Comment

• Harry Carson never joined the quest to blame the league for his head trauma... he said he was well aware of the risks.
          That was noble and honest for Harry, but that day has passed and they all need to get some attention for their service, whether they were willing to take the risk, or not.
          I don't know the state of the art in diagnosing brain trauma, and whether or not any is reversible (probably not), and how much can be tolerated before real damage is done, but it is something they need to evaluate. I do think they will reach a stage where the doctors can say... we've read your brain scan and you've had X number of concussions, to add to the hundreds of just plain brutal blows to the head that weren't hard enough to concuss... and the scans tell us you need to retire, amen.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

Male stripper??
            Yep. And with that huge bear head they make wear and hinder my sight, concussions from bumping into things are very common. Not to mention the denture slips when they send me to retirement homes for a show.

Comment

Yep. And with that huge bear head they make wear and hinder my sight, concussions from bumping into things are very common. Not to mention the denture slips when they send me to retirement homes for a show.
              Do you ever go to parties or family events and sit there when it gets really quiet and say "You all know me.....know how I earn a livin.....I'll strip for y'all but it's not gonna be pleasant......I value my neck more than $3000 bucks chief.....I'll dance for 3, but I'll strip, and smile, for 10."
              "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
              "No...I didn't."
              "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Do you ever go to parties or family events and sit there when it gets really quiet and say "You all know me.....know how I earn a livin.....I'll strip for y'all but it's not gonna be pleasant......I value my neck more than $3000 bucks chief.....I'll dance for 3, but I'll strip, and smile, for 10."
                Sure. If my hairy *** doesn't disperse the crowd, my smile surely would.

Comment

never have gotten tired of it. Probably seen it 50 times in the 42 years since it came out.
                  Went to see it just a few weeks after moving to the Jersey Shore in '75... Ocean Twshp... the wife of the couple that that went with us was dim... and, that's being kind. When we got in the car to drive home she says, "How do you think they were able to train that shark not to really kill Quint?" (Robert Shaw)

Comment

• The USS Indianapolis speech is one of the greatest moments in movie history.
                    "No...I didn't."

Comment

The USS Indianapolis speech is one of the greatest moments in movie history.
                      Jaws is overrated.
                      Also, if you watch it backwards, it's a movie about a shark that keeps puking up humans until a beach appears....
                      Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post

Jaws is overrated.
                        Stop it.

Comment

The USS Indianapolis speech is one of the greatest moments in movie history.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9S41Kplsbs

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

And win.
                            That's where I would put my money.

Comment

Working...
                            X