This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmike View Post

No sane, rational person can support the actions of these players. It is both inappropriate and self defeating. If they are doing it for some cause, the cause will only be hurt by the actions of the small minded. Their cause is a ******** cause based on complete and utter nonsense and does nothing to actually help but causes more divisiveness. The whole premise was cooked up on false evidence and misrepresentation of facts and has done nothing but set back the clock and further divide people. I can not tell you how much stupidity of this magnitude pisses me off. This false narrative being accepted and supported by the main stream media just shows their lack of integrity in searching through the actual facts.
    I agree with all this. The actual numbers in minorities / cops incidents vs. crimes as a whole and who commits them is not even worthy of protest or even discussion, these days. There is zero consideration into what circumstances law enforcement has to deal with on a daily basis, and how to properly conduct yourself, by too many.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

Quite a few people seem to share your viewpoint. We should be discussing these matters, is supposedly the point of all this. I'm not following all the Unity talk, though. This country and respect for those who put their lives at risk for us, should come before some groups' perceptions of how they are treated.
      I don't see how a player not being present/standing for a national anthem is in any way a protest against the U.S. military. That's never once been stated by anyone other than those creating that narrative, trying to perpetuate it as the truth.
      Fact of the matter is, it's not the aim. Never was. If people view it that way, I'm sorry, but that's there problem.

Do I think this is the right venue to demonstrate? No...in fact it's most likely being wasted, falling on deaf ears anyway. But I've become pretty tired of people trying to insinuate everything is so anti-military, and that the people who fight for freedom of speech are being disrespected. Soooooo, like....can you only demonstrate your freedom of speech when it's convenient for everyone? Does freedom of speech require a pre-planned jury of public opinion to approve it's use? I don't know...it all seems super hypocritical.

I typed out all this stuff yesterday, but ended up just editing it out because I don't feel l this is a great place for it, but, I'll end with this:

I come from a military family. My grandfather was in the Army Corps of Engineers, a part of the European Theater of Operations in WW2...My other grandfather was an Air Force Pilot during the Korean War...my uncle was a Marine Cpl grunt in Vietnam.....my 30yr old cousin is a retired Master Sgt in the Marine Corps, 3 tours of Iraq, 2 in Afghanistan, including 2 stop loss orders....don't get me started on that...
      My family has always had someone in the military...always....I understand respect. I understand service duty and honor. It's ingrained in what I know as right.

That said...the following:
      -Military
      -Flag
      -National Anthem
      -Patriotism
      -Protest
      ...ARE NOT mutually exclusive concepts.

They just aren't. You can't cherry pick what you want to see/hear. That's now how **** works.
      a narrative is being created to turn what is honestly, a half-assed protest idea, into something that is insanely un-American, and that seems a bit mad to me.

These guys think by using their public image to make a stance against something they think is unacceptable in our country, theyre making a difference. They probably aren't...but they can think that. in 2017 America, there's a LOT to be upset with. I'm not about to tell people what they can and can't say about it.
      Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

No sane, rational person can support the actions of these players. It is both inappropriate and self defeating. If they are doing it for some cause, the cause will only be hurt by the actions of the small minded. Their cause is a ******** cause based on complete and utter nonsense and does nothing to actually help but causes more divisiveness. The whole premise was cooked up on false evidence and misrepresentation of facts and has done nothing but set back the clock and further divide people. I can not tell you how much stupidity of this magnitude pisses me off. This false narrative being accepted and supported by the main stream media just shows their lack of integrity in searching through the actual facts.
        I think I'm in love.

Comment

They can protest whatever they want on their own time. Unless their employer is asking them to take up these actions, they are 100% in the wrong in doing so while on the clock and wearing the uniform of their employer. Even if you agree with their support of this cause, you cannot agree with their approach. If they want to protest doing the game...resign from the team, buy a ticket and do it from the stands. Try doing a political protest while you are at work, see how long you stay employed.
          lol, if you work for someone called an owner, who can literally TRADE YOU for someone else, you're not an employee. You're an asset.
          Ok, that's a bit dramatic, but....it's not like my job can trade me for future me's...or something...
          Last edited by JPizzack; 09-25-2017, 05:38 PM.
          Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

They can protest whatever they want on their own time. Unless their employer is asking them to take up these actions, they are 100% in the wrong in doing so while on the clock and wearing the uniform of their employer. Even if you agree with their support of this cause, you cannot agree with their approach. If they want to protest doing the game...resign from the team, buy a ticket and do it from the stands. Try doing a political protest while you are at work, see how long you stay employed.
            They say the fans who paid ridiculous amounts for their seats and merchandise should walk out if they don't like it - yet the players who disgrace this country should still get paid.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

They say the fans who paid ridiculous amounts for their seats and merchandise should walk out if they don't like it - yet the players who disgrace this country should still get paid.
              If you think about it, there's nothing anyone can do about it. You cut a guy, he still gets paid his guaranteed money. You fine a guy, he'll just say nope...and then you suspend him, and he still gets paid.
              You fire all the players and then the teams/league wont make any money because there's no product to watch.
              Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• anyway....I know people don't agree on this stuff, and that's ok. We can still continue to talk to each other about how bad our team is
                Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post

I don't see how a player not being present/standing for a national anthem is in any way a protest against the U.S. military. That's never once been stated by anyone other than those creating that narrative, trying to perpetuate it as the truth.
                  Fact of the matter is, it's not the aim. Never was. If people view it that way, I'm sorry, but that's there problem.

Do I think this is the right venue to demonstrate? No...in fact it's most likely being wasted, falling on deaf ears anyway. But I've become pretty tired of people trying to insinuate everything is so anti-military, and that the people who fight for freedom of speech are being disrespected. Soooooo, like....can you only demonstrate your freedom of speech when it's convenient for everyone? Does freedom of speech require a pre-planned jury of public opinion to approve it's use? I don't know...it all seems super hypocritical.

I typed out all this stuff yesterday, but ended up just editing it out because I don't feel l this is a great place for it, but, I'll end with this:

I come from a military family. My grandfather was in the Army Corps of Engineers, a part of the European Theater of Operations in WW2...My other grandfather was an Air Force Pilot during the Korean War...my uncle was a Marine Cpl grunt in Vietnam.....my 30yr old cousin is a retired Master Sgt in the Marine Corps, 3 tours of Iraq, 2 in Afghanistan, including 2 stop loss orders....don't get me started on that...
                  My family has always had someone in the military...always....I understand respect. I understand service duty and honor. It's ingrained in what I know as right.

-Military
                  -Flag
                  -National Anthem
                  -Patriotism
                  -Protest

They just aren't. You can't cherry pick what you want to see/hear. That's now how **** works.
                  a narrative is being created to turn what is honestly, a half-assed protest idea, into something that is insanely un-American, and that seems a bit mad to me.

These guys think by using their public image to make a stance against something they think is unacceptable in our country, theyre making a difference. They probably aren't...but they can think that. in 2017 America, there's a LOT to be upset with. I'm not about to tell people what they can and can't say about it.
                  I believe the protests are mainly aimed at Law Enforcement. However, the time and place they have chosen goes against unity of this country and is disrespectful of our service people. Again, the actual numbers on blacks shot by cops, what they were doing at the time, what the numbers are in terms of crimes committed and responses the police must make each day... there will never be a zero percent chance no one will ever be hurt. Therefore, the protests are not valid.

Comment

• The protest is for social justice but their communities are facing much much bigger problems. How many thousands have been shot this year from drug/gang violence? How many unjustified shootings by police? Police brutality is a drop in the bucket. They are focused on the wrong issue largely because of the media. The gang violence is destroying communities and cops are caught in the middle trying to police these areas.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                      The protest is for social justice but their communities are facing much much bigger problems. How many thousands have been shot this year from drug/gang violence? How many unjustified shootings by police? Police brutality is a drop in the bucket. They are focused on the wrong issue largely because of the media. The gang violence is destroying communities and cops are caught in the middle trying to police these areas.
                      That is why this type of open and supported protest against the only people who are there to protect us and maintain order is so inappropriate and damaging.

Comment

• Im debating if I should buy the Mypillow. Some mornings I wake up with a annoying pain right behind my ear, right where the neck meets the skull, which makes me feel kind of queasy as the day goes on. Friggin 50 bucks though. I think Sarc said he has it and wasn't too impressed.

Comment

-Military
                          -Flag
                          -National Anthem
                          -Patriotism
                          -Protest

They are protesting a country that they live in that allows them to be among the richest people in it because they good at playing with their balls. They only can have this protest because of what the flag and anthem they are protesting stands for.

Their tactics are misplaced
                          Their cause is bunk
                          They are making the sport political, not the place for it
                          I don't think they are anti military, but they are anti USA

It would make me very happy if the Giants released the players who refused to stand. For the simple reason that their place of employment is not the forum to stand on their political views. They can do that from the stands. Be stupid on your own time, as a consumer of the NFL, I don't GAF about what Olivier Vernon's political views are. I only care about him tackling players on the other team and I shouldn't be forced to be at a political protest when I decide to watch a football game.

Comment

lol, if you work for someone called an owner, who can literally TRADE YOU for someone else, you're not an employee. You're an asset.
                            Ok, that's a bit dramatic, but....it's not like my job can trade me for future me's...or something...
                            When he is wearing the uniform of the New York Giants, any actions and behaviors is that of a representative of the organization. The unique terms of the employment does not matter.

Comment

• I'll tell you folks this:

Because the issue of black/white, cops/civilians, military/civilians, protesters/anthem supporters is so huge, and quite frankly I'm some dumb white guy that lives in the suburbs that isn't directly affected, I simply don't care. Not one iota. Not one way or the other. Let them protest. Let those who think the protest is wrong say so and refuse to spend their money on the NFL. I don't care either way shape or form.

I came to love football because it didn't concern those things, and sports in general. You all know I'm a musician and many many times I've dealt with musicians who have a real political focus, and that's fine by me, but it's not me. I came to music for the same basic reasons: enjoyment away from "normal" life. When I see concerts being held for charities, going back to Live Aid and all the rest from the 80's that continue to this day, I say "Great". Good for them.

I've also been involved in music situations where everyone in the group was Italian and some were talking some racist crap. Not for me.
                              I've also been in music situations where I was not only the only white guy in the band, I was the only white guy in the club. You should've heard the things being said. I thought I was going to be murdered.

So.....someone's political stance and how they choose to express it doesn't bother me. Those that disagree don't bother me either.

Here's what bothers me:
                              The Giants have a WR who made 2 incredible TD's yesterday and single handedly brought us back from being shut out. Incredible.
                              What does he do to celebrate? Pretends to be a dog urinating.

That is not a political statement. That is someone being a stupid friggin ahole. I don't even care about the penalty, it didn't even hurt us.

That is someone choosing to be a ****head....a crass, classless ****head. I cannot believe the people defending him on this site. Yeah, I hate the friggin Eagles but the Giants are supposed to be above that kind of thing, at least that's what I've thought for the last 33 years.

So what do you get? A guy that we already know is a egomaniac that wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL, who actually proved his worth to the team in the 4th quarter, and then makes a complete tool of himself on national tv.

I've had it with him. I didn't care about all the other crap, the boat, the net, the wall punch, even the Norman saga. I mistakenly believed he grew up a little and learned some maturity.

If it were Dez or Sproles we'd all be cutting them to shreds. I refuse to be a hypocrite. Odell is a complete *******. Great player. Complete mental doofus otherwise.

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                              "No...I didn't."
                              "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• You are welcome to disrespect the flag and Anthem ceremony, but,don't you dare wear cleats honoring remembrance of 9/11.
                                WTF???

http://nypost.com/2016/09/09/police-...rs-911-cleats/

Goodell needs to re-evaluate the priorities of this league.

Comment

Working...
                                X