This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
    Oh great, more politics mixed in with my sports. They are going to harp on this well into next season now, a bunch of people will march on something and more SJWs will scream. All because an arrogant idiot football player acted like an arrogant idiot football player. I'm glad he said something like that, I prefer when the idiots pick themselves out of the crowd.
    He is often an Ahole. They can't help themselves. I saw the Interview and, while he was momentarily a ******, emphasizing that it's unusual for a women to talk about routes, he fell right back into normal mode in 5 seconds. I don't like him much, but this is much ado about nothing other than more people who want to be at the forefront of chastising anyone they deem insensitive to the slightest thing... in this case a woman reporter. We used to just move on from these stupid momentary events. Now people have to appear enraged and butt hurt, and want their Press time to point out their hurt feelings.
    No one ever heard of 'sticks and stones' anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post

He is often an Ahole. They can't help themselves. I saw the Interview and, while he was momentarily a ******, emphasizing that it's unusual for a women to talk about routes, he fell right back into normal mode in 5 seconds. I don't like him much, but this is much ado about nothing other than more people who want to be at the forefront of chastising anyone they deem insensitive to the slightest thing... in this case a woman reporter. We used to just move on from these stupid momentary events. Now people have to appear enraged and butt hurt, and want their Press time to point out their hurt feelings.
      From my experience in high school with football players, I expect the majority of them to be A-holes. Apologies to you and some others here that played the sport, I certainly don't think that way about you guys. This why I wouldn't have had an issue with bringing Incognito onto the team. Let him spread some nasty around, we need it badly. Who cares if he name calls a 6 1/2 foot 320 lb teammate, or gooses some bimbo for hire? Domestic violence, felonies, etc are completely different, of course.
      The only reason the league is promoting female reporters and interviewers is to increase male viewership and keep guys tuned in between the on field action. Just look at their appearance, there's no Rosie Odonnels out there. It has nothing to do with equal rights or proving a woman can do the job.

Comment

Zim, I have never had an enjoyable experience at an NFL game. I have been to enough to know that I will never attend another one. But I appreciate the invite. Frankly it surprises me that anyone who enjoys the sport also enjoys attending the games. Based on my experience those two likes are in direct opposition to one another.
        I've only been to 1 Giant game, and maybe 6 Jets (was way easier to get tickets) games. The tailgating was great, but once inside, it seemed the idiocy came out full force. I had the section cheerleader in my face berating me and others, for not screaming loud enough after each play. Leaving the game felt like a stampede, and the majority of fans were very rude.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
          Yea I don't care. I like having a player like Odell but the Giants are below .500 since he's been here. He's helped win some games for them especially last year but we need to totally revamp the oline, need a rb and more depth at the wr. I don't think signing him to a big contract helps this offense at all. Rather have draft picks and cap space to go after free agents.
          I think one of the biggest problems with having an Odell is that the F.O. is fooled into thinking the team really isn't that bad, because he can make scoring plays out of nothing, and win a game they shouldn't be in. That's fine if you're the QB. Not for a WR, particularly one who has concentration issues.

Comment

Well, it isn't completely nothing. His viewpoint is completely wrong and stupid. I would just prefer they call his attention to it and move on. But someone will make this about sports and then the league will be pressured to have at least one woman on the roster and one on the coaching staff. which will cause multiple problems.

1-any woman who manages to become a coach will be viewed as only getting it because she is a woman, whether she is actually qualified or not.
            2-Fans will quickly become upset that said required woman might get injured on the field and then there will be special rules for the women, which will further water down the sport, or the rules will be so advantagious that suddenly every RB/WR/KR/PR in the league is female because you aren't allowed to touch them

It's all ******* stupid. Just call Cam stupid, make memes, move on. In today's world it seems you aren't actually a person until you are a victim and your status in this world is not determined by your accomplishments but the level of victimhood you can claim.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

From my experience in high school with football players, I expect the majority of them to be A-holes. Apologies to you and some others here that played the sport, I certainly don't think that way about you guys. This why I wouldn't have had an issue with bringing Incognito onto the team. Let him spread some nasty around, we need it badly. Who cares if he name calls a 6 1/2 foot 320 lb teammate, or gooses some bimbo for hire? Domestic violence, felonies, etc are completely different, of course.
              The only reason the league is promoting female reporters and interviewers is to increase male viewership and keep guys tuned in between the on field action. Just look at their appearance, there's no Rosie Odonnels out there. It has nothing to do with equal rights or proving a woman can do the job.
              Sorry, but most of those women have earned their spot and know their stuff. Particularly the beat reporters. The ones on TV are of course attractive, it's a visual medium and we are a visual species. But they had to first earn their way in one way or another for that spot, their appearance is simply a base requirement of TV work. Anyone who goes into any type of visual media knows full well that their appearance is one of their assets. Is it stupid and superficial? Sure it is, but so is sports and entertainment in general, deal with the reality. You won't survive drowning because you think it's stupid that you don't have gills.

Comment

Sorry, but most of those women have earned their spot and know their stuff. Particularly the beat reporters. The ones on TV are of course attractive, it's a visual medium and we are a visual species. But they had to first earn their way in one way or another for that spot, their appearance is simply a base requirement of TV work. Anyone who goes into any type of visual media knows full well that their appearance is one of their assets. Is it stupid and superficial? Sure it is, but so is sports and entertainment in general, deal with the reality. You won't survive drowning because you think it's stupid that you don't have gills.
                Jenn... I want you to start paying attention to the women on ESPN, NFL Channel, etc. and tell me your observation on this...
                When they have a full body shot, out front and away from the desks/set, more and more women are standing with one foot directly in front of the other... standing almost posed and almost motionless as they speak, or even just listen to a partner on the show, instead of feet side by side and at least appearing to be relaxed and comfortable.

Comment

Just as the men who get commentator and interviewer positions mainly because of their fame from their playing days, the women are getting these positions on looks first. That's very obvious. As far as knowing their stuff - exactly how complicated is that? I mean, compared to what many of us need to know to our jobs, and things asked of us outside our job titles.

Comment

Just as the men who get commentator and interviewer positions mainly because of their fame from their playing days, the women are getting these positions on looks first. That's very obvious. As far as knowing their stuff - exactly how complicated is that? I mean, compared to what many of us need to know to our jobs, and things asked of us outside our job titles.
                    Sorry, but no. They could find prettier faces to put out there if that was all they were looking for. Most of these women were reporters or former athletes themselves and did not get their first gig on the NFL sidelines for fox because of their looks. If they have several similar women for a single spot, the most attractive will get it. But don't pretend that they did no work to get in the position they did. Maybe they started as the local weather girl. Maybe they got a job as a sports reporter first because that was the only desk open. Maybe they were a good college player and report on a single sport in which they are experts. If it was just a pretty face, they would all have been 18 year old swimsuit models.

Comment

Jenn... I want you to start paying attention to the women on ESPN, NFL Channel, etc. and tell me your observation on this...
                      When they have a full body shot, out front and away from the desks/set, more and more women are standing with one foot directly in front of the other... standing almost posed and almost motionless as they speak, or even just listen to a partner on the show, instead of feet side by side and at least appearing to be relaxed and comfortable.
                      I haven't paid attention, but I am sure it is some calculated visual thing to make her look as attractive as possible for the camera.

Comment

I haven't paid attention, but I am sure it is some calculated visual thing to make her look as attractive as possible for the camera.
                        And the high heels, too. UGH.
                        They look like they were advised/coached by some posture experts to make their legs look best. It's a swimsuit/runway model pose, and looks ridiculous on a sports set.... and they hold it, almost motionless for long periods, which further makes it unnatural.

Comment

Sorry, but no. They could find prettier faces to put out there if that was all they were looking for. Most of these women were reporters or former athletes themselves and did not get their first gig on the NFL sidelines for fox because of their looks. If they have several similar women for a single spot, the most attractive will get it. But don't pretend that they did no work to get in the position they did. Maybe they started as the local weather girl. Maybe they got a job as a sports reporter first because that was the only desk open. Maybe they were a good college player and report on a single sport in which they are experts. If it was just a pretty face, they would all have been 18 year old swimsuit models.
                          Let's look at this another way. Have you ever heard a single male football fan disagree with or support a female reporter or commentator's analysis or opinion - like so many people here do about all the male analysts? There's only one thing straight males make comments about, regarding these females on display. I doubt any are even listening to their words.

Comment

Let's look at this another way. Have you ever heard a single male football fan disagree with or support a female reporter or commentator's analysis or opinion - like so many people here do about all the male analysts? There's only one thing straight males make comments about, regarding these females on display. I doubt any are even listening to their words.
                            Yes I have. You may be more sexiest than Cam Newton. Just because someone is attractive, doesn't mean they don't have the knowledge and experience needed for their profession. I don't listen to any of their words, men or women, they are just trying to fill the world with more noise. My feeling on it all is shut up, there is a game.

Comment

And the high heels, too. UGH.
                              They look like they were advised/coached by some posture experts to make their legs look best. It's a swimsuit/runway model pose, and looks ridiculous on a sports set.... and they hold it, almost motionless for long periods, which further makes it unnatural.
                              Most likely. My sister is really the one you should be talking about. She could give you a complete analysis on standard female or male posture and poses in visual media. I generally tune her out on that stuff as much as she tunes me out on football. When we go to a game she has fun, but likely couldn't even tell you who won, she is just happy if her son is having fun. Who is as tall as me now and he isn't even 11 for a month and a half.

Comment

Just because someone is attractive, doesn't mean they don't have the knowledge and experience needed for their profession.
                                Never said that. I don't think analyzing football or asking an athlete questions requires much more than minimal intelligence - men or women, beautiful, ugly, or in between.

Comment

Working...
                                X