This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
    I don't listen to any of their words, men or women.
    Makes sense, since you are attracted to both sexes for what else their mouths could be used for.

Comment

they are just trying to fill the world with more noise. My feeling on it all is shut up, there is a game.
      My feelings exactly. I often put music on during the game, TV sound off. I never watch pre or post game shows, nor halftime. Any breaks are used for the bathroom, checking the ribs and wings progress, and checking on how the wife is doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

Never said that. I don't think analyzing football or asking an athlete questions requires much more than minimal intelligence - men or women, beautiful, ugly, or in between.
        I don't disagree. But these women, no matter how attractive, were not just selected from a bunch of swimsuit shots. To suggest that is insulting and dismissive. They have probably had to work fairly hard and sometimes in demeaning jobs (like the on site weather girl for winter storms with no jacket and a tight sweater, what do you think the producer intended to pop up on that report?) to get their opportunity. Don't dismiss that because they had a better chance than others because they are aesthetically pleasing. Which, mind you, isn't always easy either. Would you be comfortable in a job that was secure only so long as your looks held out? My sister was a model from around 12 years old, "all you have to do is look pretty for the camera". I tease her, but I have observed how hard she worked to make that a profession. Fun when the agency you've been with forever recommends you retire because at 28 as you are just looking too old to continue doing this. Well she is over 40 now and still does it, but is semi retired, her last really big gig was doing maternity wear when she was pregnant. She also does work managing on site shoots now. She is still stunning and one of the most beautiful women I have ever known. When I was a kid, I used to be jealous how every eye turned to her when ever she entered a room. Now it makes me smile that it still happens for her, she worked hard for that.

Comment

I don't disagree. But these women, no matter how attractive, were not just selected from a bunch of swimsuit shots. To suggest that is insulting and dismissive. They have probably had to work fairly hard and sometimes in demeaning jobs (like the on site weather girl for winter storms with no jacket and a tight sweater, what do you think the producer intended to pop up on that report?) to get their opportunity. Don't dismiss that because they had a better chance than others because they are aesthetically pleasing. Which, mind you, isn't always easy either. Would you be comfortable in a job that was secure only so long as your looks held out? My sister was a model from around 12 years old, "all you have to do is look pretty for the camera". I tease her, but I have observed how hard she worked to make that a profession. Fun when the agency you've been with forever recommends you retire because at 28 as you are just looking too old to continue doing this. Well she is over 40 now and still does it, but is semi retired, her last really big gig was doing maternity wear when she was pregnant. She also does work managing on site shoots now. She is still stunning and one of the most beautiful women I have ever known. When I was a kid, I used to be jealous how every eye turned to her when ever she entered a room. Now it makes me smile that it still happens for her, she worked hard for that.
          Your sister's career choice was her own, and we all have to deal with being put in demeaning positions. What the people on NFL networks look for in female employees is not based on what people like me are looking for. Maybe you haven't noticed that I've never commented on any female actress, singer, or entertainer's looks, amongst all the discussions here? I'm particularly turned off by the practice of rating musicians by their looks, which is more prevalent these days. I'll take Mama Cass over any J-LO or Lady Gaga, any day.

Comment

Your sister's career choice was her own, and we all have to deal with being put in demeaning positions. What the people on NFL networks look for in female employees is not based on what people like me are looking for. Maybe you haven't noticed that I've never commented on any female actress, singer, or entertainer's looks, amongst all the discussions here? I'm particularly turned off by the practice of rating musicians by their looks, which is more prevalent these days. I'll take Mama Cass over any J-LO or Lady Gaga, any day.
            Yes it was her choice. You said the only reason the female sports reporters have their jobs is because of how they look. This is simply not true. I don't disagree that they would not have gotten the job if they were not attractive. Appearance is a base requirement for the job. Like if you get a job at a grocery store, one of the base requirements is that you can lift 50 lbs. Will they simply hire anybody who can lift 50 lbs? Of course not. In order to even be considered for a TV reporter you need to be attractive, that is for both men and women, but that is neither the only reason nor the main reason they have that position.

In music these days it is the same thing. You are selling a package and part of the package is how attractive the artist is. You don't have to be attractive to be a successful musician, but it sure helps give you a boost. Many mediocre or worse musicians have found success because the sex appeal part of their package was strong. With enough autotune and songs written to be earworms, nearly anyone can sound good enough to make money at it if they have the right look. But if you notice, not everyone does, it still takes work and commitment to have success there. As a friend of mine who works for a record label says, much of the success in music is from attrition more than talent. Many talented bands never find success because the members are only willing to go so long scraping by and go get a real job.

Comment

I guess you weren't around when Fabian became popular in the 60's. An agent saw him in South Philly and immediately decided he could make him a star, on looks alone. He couldn't sing a lick, but had several successful songs. He couldn't act a lick, but was in nearly 30 movies. Good looks have always put people on the fast track... some talented, and some not....

Comment

Yes it was her choice. You said the only reason the female sports reporters have their jobs is because of how they look. This is simply not true. I don't disagree that they would not have gotten the job if they were not attractive. Appearance is a base requirement for the job. Like if you get a job at a grocery store, one of the base requirements is that you can lift 50 lbs. Will they simply hire anybody who can lift 50 lbs? Of course not. In order to even be considered for a TV reporter you need to be attractive, that is for both men and women, but that is neither the only reason nor the main reason they have that position.

In music these days it is the same thing. You are selling a package and part of the package is how attractive the artist is. You don't have to be attractive to be a successful musician, but it sure helps give you a boost. Many mediocre or worse musicians have found success because the sex appeal part of their package was strong. With enough autotune and songs written to be earworms, nearly anyone can sound good enough to make money at it if they have the right look. But if you notice, not everyone does, it still takes work and commitment to have success there. As a friend of mine who works for a record label says, much of the success in music is from attrition more than talent. Many talented bands never find success because the members are only willing to go so long scraping by and go get a real job.
                It's still way different for men and women. Even a guy like me notices what Tony Sirigusa and Ron Jaworski look like - it's comical. And most of these male singers look like they just put their head in a wood chipper. Male rappers go out of their way to dress and act in the most unsavory way they can come up with. A homeless person who craps in his pants every day has more appeal. The female ones dress like *****s, but lots of men like to see that.

Comment

• 1971, Phyllis George from Texas becomes Miss America. In 1974 she became one of the first female sportscasters on CBS, which had the NFC package at the time, and it was all based on looks and her smarts. She did her home work and was a very effective interviewer... famously asking Roger Staubach about his All American image. Roger said everyone compares him to Joe Namath, except Joe is single and he is married. He said he enjoys sex just as much as any other guy, except he just does it with one woman.
                  Last edited by zimonami; 10-05-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post
                    1971, Phyllis George from Texas becomes Miss America. In 1974 she became one of the first female sportscasters on CBS, which had the NFC package at the time, and it was all based on looks and her smarts. She did her home work and was a very effective interviewer... famously asking Roger Staubach about his All American image. Roger said everyone compares him to Joe Namath, except Joe is single and he is married. He said he enjoys sex just as much as any other guy, except he just does it with one woman.
                    Having sex with just one woman is fine, as long as you mix in lots of different routes.

Comment

It's still way different for men and women. Even a guy like me notices what Tony Sirigusa and Ron Jaworski look like - it's comical. And most of these male singers look like they just put their head in a wood chipper. Male rappers go out of their way to dress and act in the most unsavory way they can come up with. A homeless person who craps in his pants every day has more appeal. The female ones dress like *****s, but lots of men like to see that.
                      I don't think it is really any different. As former players they get a pass on the sex appeal. But do you see a major network having a man that looks like Tony Sirigusa on the anchor desk? Wouldn't happen. My only point, and we have deviated from this, is that just because a women needs to be attractive to be a TV sports reporter does not mean it is her only qualification.

Comment

In music these days it is the same thing. You are selling a package and part of the package is how attractive the artist is. You don't have to be attractive to be a successful musician, but it sure helps give you a boost. Many mediocre or worse musicians have found success because the sex appeal part of their package was strong
                        You promised not to give my secret away.
                        Dammit.

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                        "No...I didn't."
                        "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• “It’s the inmates running the asylum, and it isn’t good,” Taylor said. “I’m quite sure as a coach, and a new coach, [Mc Adoo] has his loyalties, and he wants to be fair to everybody because this guy or that guy helped him get his job. He wants to be loyal. But you’re the head coach now. The hell with loyalty.”
                          https://nyg.247sports.com/Bolt/Lawre...less-108461890

LT giving the straight dope on how **** is

Comment

• Taylor remembers a similar scenario playing out in legendary head coach Bill Parcells' early tenure as Giants boss.

“Just like Bill Parcells, he was loyal in that first year [1983], and he went 3-12-1,” Taylor said. “Then it became a bus station, and loyalty was out. Parcells made it like a bus station, where he’d be having players come in and out, just trying to find the right guys.

“Look, I’m not playing, and those guys are out there playing, so I have no business there,” he said. “There were times when we couldn’t get it together.”

And if the Giants stay together? Taylor thinks they can accomplish the unlikely scenario of making the postseason.

“The strangest things can happen,” he said. “If they come back and go to the playoffs, you won’t even think about 0-4.”

He's right of course. But, I just don't think McAdoo has it. I mean, let's see how the Giants play Sunday. This is a game where if there is anything left in the tank at this point, we should beat the hell out of the Chargers. If we lose or even just squeak out a win, that tells me he's already lost this team.

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                            "No...I didn't."
                            "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Having sex with just one woman is fine, as long as you mix in lots of different routes.
                              I just got it... very good... double entendre

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
                                Taylor remembers a similar scenario playing out in legendary head coach Bill Parcells' early tenure as Giants boss.

“Just like Bill Parcells, he was loyal in that first year [1983], and he went 3-12-1,” Taylor said. “Then it became a bus station, and loyalty was out. Parcells made it like a bus station, where he’d be having players come in and out, just trying to find the right guys.

“Look, I’m not playing, and those guys are out there playing, so I have no business there,” he said. “There were times when we couldn’t get it together.”

And if the Giants stay together? Taylor thinks they can accomplish the unlikely scenario of making the postseason.

“The strangest things can happen,” he said. “If they come back and go to the playoffs, you won’t even think about 0-4.”

He's right of course. But, I just don't think McAdoo has it. I mean, let's see how the Giants play Sunday. This is a game where if there is anything left in the tank at this point, we should beat the hell out of the Chargers. If we lose or even just squeak out a win, that tells me he's already lost this team.

Sorry to have to say I agree with you. We learn a lot from this game... effort will tell.... are they busting their butts for each other and their coach, or have they packed it in on both. And, if the effort is there and we still lose, I won't be surprised if it is discipline issues... stupid penalties and guys not on the same page.

Comment

Working...
                                X