This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post

hahahaha, JR, (hmmm... you share our fearless GM's initials) we don't get to draft.
    I checked out THEE near the beginning. I was on here more often and the "Did You Know" thread was active. But, every day after work I'd go to it and there were a dozen pages gone by, and I couldn't keep up with the daily topics of the day without spending a lot of time digressing, so I never came back until just before I got ion here... maybe 3-4 months ago? It is much smaller in serious posters,, so it became easier to keep up with. I miss Rudy and MH... they both make a contribution in their own ways. Variety is the spice of life. The back and forth chop busting was mostly good natured, and there is way more respect for differing opinions than there is on FB. Whew... that place can be brutal with people you don't even know telling you you're an imbecile, for real. ON here, if someone says something stupid you all have a way to bust chops without getting serious about demeaning them. There's a way of saying things that make the point without being disrespectful.
    But, look on the views for this thread... there are a lot of lurkers that watch but don't join in. Maybe we need to raise salaries
    I've heard something about a Facebook thing related to this forum, but not sure what it's purpose would be. I'm not on Facebook, either. I hear it's a nice method of sharing pictures, but it also can cause issues with family and friends.
    I looked at the "Did You Know" thread, but I wouldn't be able to answer many of those questions. I only started watching football when my high school friends all went away to college, and I had to find a new gang to hang out with. I was introduced to football Sundays and the associated food spreads, and now that is a tradition for me. But the trivia and keeping up with other teams and players in the league is not of interest to me.
    This is the first sports site I've been on. I wasn't going to stick with it - the rapid and duplicate posting at times was a turnoff. I don't think too many on here at that time appreciated my humor, I was actually accused of being a former banned member.
    So I guess you all here in this section now know the sole reason I'm here - it's my hope to see those kinky pictures that Jenn sometimes alludes to.

Comment

• ahhh, you are admitting that you're a dirty old man?
      On the Did you know thread,... the rule was, if no one answered the question in 12-24 hours, anybody could look up the answer and post it.
      I used to think up a question and then look up the answer to makw sure I had it right, before posting the question. The people on there weren't naturally bestowed with fabulous Giant trivia knowledge... more than the average Giant fan, but not a walking answer master either

Comment

• "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
        "No...I didn't."
        "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

I have a 565 page novel about a fairy (seriously... named, Harmoni)) that needs an injection of imagination. I think you hold the answer to that need.
          Fantasy and Sci-Fi are my favorite genres of fiction. I suggest, when writing a fansty novel that involves any types of magic, first read Brandon Sanderson's first law of magic. It is a lesson to authors on how to most effectively use magic in storytelling. Makes for a more compelling novel. Magic, much like superhero powers in comics, is most interesting for what it can't do than what it can. Just like Superheroes, it isn't their strengths that add interest to the story, it is their weaknesses that advance that plot. The better the abilities and more import the limits that the magic provides is understood by the reader, the more effectively it can be used in storytelling. The Harry Potter novels are a good example of a fantasy series that does magic poorly as it's powers often change or contradict to fit the plot instead of being part of the story. Now those books are fun and enjoyable, but they are not terrible well written with numerous continuity errors. These are most commonly pointed out in the criticisms of the Goblet of Fire novel. The port key and time turner being the most egregious errors that have ramifications for all of the books in the series.

Also, read anything you can get you hands on by Brandon Sanderson; you'll thank me later for that advice.

Comment

• So now both OBJ and Marshall are out for the season.

Comment

• The WR corps is now Shepard, Lewis, Rudolph, King and Eagan.

Comment

• my high school team could beat the Giants this year.
                Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
                  The WR corps is now Shepard, Lewis, Rudolph, King and Eagan.
                  Cant wait. I dont think I'll be watching Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post

Cant wait. I dont think I'll be watching Sunday.
                    Really not much reason to watch.
                    Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Fantasy and Sci-Fi are my favorite genres of fiction. I suggest, when writing a fansty novel that involves any types of magic, first read Brandon Sanderson's first law of magic. It is a lesson to authors on how to most effectively use magic in storytelling. Makes for a more compelling novel. Magic, much like superhero powers in comics, is most interesting for what it can't do than what it can. Just like Superheroes, it isn't their strengths that add interest to the story, it is their weaknesses that advance that plot. The better the abilities and more import the limits that the magic provides is understood by the reader, the more effectively it can be used in storytelling. The Harry Potter novels are a good example of a fantasy series that does magic poorly as it's powers often change or contradict to fit the plot instead of being part of the story. Now those books are fun and enjoyable, but they are not terrible well written with numerous continuity errors. These are most commonly pointed out in the criticisms of the Goblet of Fire novel. The port key and time turner being the most egregious errors that have ramifications for all of the books in the series.

Also, read anything you can get you hands on by Brandon Sanderson; you'll thank me later for that advice.
                      I'm 71. I wrote this to keep me busy while Kris was battling cancer. I am who I am and I am not the one who can rewrite it. The concept, characters and story are good, I have characteristics about the faeries that are neat and unique, and a back round on how they survived all these centuries. But, I am a Chemical Engineer and, while I am excellent in writing, spelling grammar, etc. my writing is too wooden. The only thing to help will be someone who understands the story and can do some re-write to inject more imaginative interactions, rather than the rigid, detailed and descriptive sentences I have. If you'd like I can send you the synopsis, etc.

Comment

• Neither my son nor I are excited about going to the Ram game. Ugh. Even in their worst days there was a reason to find interest, especially in the years with a great defense and zero offense. Now the only good thing we have is a proud legacy.

Comment

I'm 71. I wrote this to keep me busy while Kris was battling cancer. I am who I am and I am not the one who can rewrite it. The concept, characters and story are good, I have characteristics about the faeries that are neat and unique, and a back round on how they survived all these centuries. But, I am a Chemical Engineer and, while I am excellent in writing, spelling grammar, etc. my writing is too wooden. The only thing to help will be someone who understands the story and can do some re-write to inject more imaginative interactions, rather than the rigid, detailed and descriptive sentences I have. If you'd like I can send you the synopsis, etc.
                          I'm a terrible writer, try Tor Books. They are a fantasy and scifi publishing corp, if they like the idea they may be able to direct you to people who can help. Or even contact some good authors, many of them enjoy helping new authors and can give you some ideas. Sanderson published the laws of magic, which is the secret for his success, on his web page so anybody can learn and take advantage of the same ideas.

Comment

Neither my son nor I are excited about going to the Ram game. Ugh. Even in their worst days there was a reason to find interest, especially in the years with a great defense and zero offense. Now the only good thing we have is a proud legacy.
                            in 2013, that's how I felt about us all meeting up for the Eagles game.....
                            we were 0-4 at that point, looking anemic.....the whole stadium just seemed to be in a foul mood.

That was the game where I was thrown out of the stadium.....for getting pushed to the ground.....by other Giants fans....
                            Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• ya got weak knees, son

Comment

I'm a terrible writer, try Tor Books. They are a fantasy and scifi publishing corp, if they like the idea they may be able to direct you to people who can help. Or even contact some good authors, many of them enjoy helping new authors and can give you some ideas. Sanderson published the laws of magic, which is the secret for his success, on his web page so anybody can learn and take advantage of the same ideas.
                                I have a web site... harmoniwhispers.com, but never developed it. (Their whispering is key to their power)
                                The laws of these faeries and their capabilities can be easily listed, explained. Have a great reason why we can't see them.
                                TOR rejected it... said it was a good story but not what they are looking for.
                                You're right, I need an existing writer who can read it, adopt it, and trim (565 pages is too many) and embellish the dialogue and split 50/50if if sells.

Comment

Working...
                                X