X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post
    "
    Here's a challenge... name a group whose work was better at the tail end of their careers Seems to me the greatest inspirations come out of them early on.
    Zim-
    I would take MH to task on this one regarding the Beatles.
    Yes, we all have our own preferences/taste. No one could argue that point. all is well.
    My thing is: Yep, the Beatles came out of the gate swinging, and never really stopped. Yes, they had some "misses" along the way (I personally don't care for some of the later day drugged influenced stuff like Revolution 9, You Know My Name, Octopus' Garden, Piggies, etc.)
    but:
    Later day Beatles include:
    Across the Universe
    Let it Be
    Hey Jude
    Julia
    Abbey Road Medley
    Because
    Come Together
    Here Comes The Sun
    Something
    The Long and Winding Road
    Revolution
    Oh Darling
    etc.
    You tell me what the Beatles would be without those songs....

Actually, I want MH to tell me....

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
    "No...I didn't."
    "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

Zim-
      Yes, we all have our own preferences/taste. No one could argue that point. all is well.
      My thing is: Yep, the Beatles came out of the gate swinging, and never really stopped. Yes, they had some "misses" along the way (I personally don't care for some of the later day drugged influenced stuff like Revolution 9, You Know My Name, Octopus' Garden, Piggies, etc.)
      but:
      Across the Universe
      Let it Be
      Hey Jude
      Julia
      Abbey Road Medley
      Because
      Come Together
      Here Comes The Sun
      Something
      Revolution
      Oh Darling
      etc.

As I remember growing up in those 50's, 60's and into the 70's, I always credited the beatles with taking us out of the "2nd verse, same as the first" era,

Comment

Are there any 'Beach' guys in Maine? Too cold and too many rocks. Are there any nice beaches? Maybe down below Portland?
        Are there any 'Beach' guys in Maine? Too cold and too many rocks. Are there any nice beaches? Maybe down below Portland?[/QUOTE] haha probably not many... sitting in a lawn chair under a shade tree at our family camp is more my speed...There are beaches around Popham Beach State Park in Phippsburg near Fort Popham . Probably the closest one to me .. Done many drive byes when we used to run down the Kennebec river with our boat. Good times great day trip down to Popham hit the Atlantic head north to Boothbay harbor ...have dinner on the docks cut through to Bath near the ship yard and back up the river to Gardner... Just guessing somewhere between 60 and 80 miles round trip 6 to 8 hr ride.... acrosome scenery ... Damn now I want to put the boat in the water haha...

Comment

• Have gone to Bar Harbor several times. Always rented a house and always first week October when the leaves have already started to turn. Last week September probably the best for Fall Foliage. Music Beach, eagle lake, Acadia Nat'l Park... lots to see and do. The only down side, to me, is the water is way too cold to enjoy a swim, unless you're an immortal 18 year old.

Comment

Have gone to Bar Harbor several times. Always rented a house and always first week October when the leaves have already started to turn. Last week September probably the best for Fall Foliage. Music Beach, eagle lake, Acadia Nat'l Park... lots to see and do. The only down side, to me, is the water is way too cold to enjoy a swim, unless you're an immortal 18 year old.
            Ya BH is very nice been there many times over the years We spent a week there in 79 when we got married... Music Beach never heard of it Zim.. although Old Orchard beach down towards Portland has many night spots

Comment

• Originally posted by byron View Post
              Ya BH is very nice been there many times over the years We spent a week there in 79 when we got married... Music Beach never heard of it Zim.. although Old Orchard beach down towards Portland has many night spots
              There is a beach south of town that is strewn with varying size water worn round rocks... from pebble size up to 3 ft. diameter. As the tide rises and recedes across the rocks it plays musical notes, almost like a flute or a Xylophone sound. It was very cool. Next time you're there ask some local exactly where it is.

Comment

• don't forget to stare up at the sun today.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

Zim-
                  but:
                  Across the Universe
                  Let it Be
                  Hey Jude
                  Julia
                  Abbey Road Medley
                  Because
                  Come Together
                  Here Comes The Sun
                  Something
                  Revolution
                  Oh Darling
                  etc.

I'm a sucker for melody. The earlier songs had much stronger melodies. Many of the songs you listed are great songs. Many of them are also not especially complex. The Beatles were great at using simple chord progressions to create great songs.
                  Let It Be is a very simple progression, as is Hey Jude, Yesterday, Don't Let Me down etc.
                  George Harrison's songs were generally more complex.
                  Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                    don't forget to stare up at the sun today.
                    Use your cell phone to watch the eclipse. Just aim it at the sun, reverse the image so you can look down at it. Pretty easy.
                    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

Use your cell phone to watch the eclipse. Just aim it at the sun, reverse the image so you can look down at it. Pretty easy.
                      Good idea

Comment

Working...
                      X