This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
    That isn't an answer, just leads to the same question about Kenny G.
    Well, he writes trite instrumental pop tunes that are labeled as j*** because he plays a saxophone. His music is not j***. In fact, its not even good instrumental pop music. Its cloying, predictable, without an ounce of feeling or soul. You've heard it in Crate and Barrel.
    "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
    "No...I didn't."
    "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

Well, he writes trite instrumental pop tunes that are labeled as j*** because he plays a saxophone. His music is not j***. In fact, its not even good instrumental pop music. Its cloying, predictable, without an ounce of feeling or soul. You've heard it in Crate and Barrel.
      So, Celine Dion deserves particular distain because her pop tunes are labeled as j***? I have never seen her music listed as j*** anywhere. So that doesn't make sense either.

Comment

• When I want to relax, or just have mellow tunes in the background, I enjoy music like Celine's. Doesn't matter who... just let me hear nice, relaxing tunes. Lionel Richie, Elton... anything that isn't blasting my brains out at a high dB.
        You guys would probably cringe at the classical work, Sheherazade... beautiful music, and damned sexy, too. I love it.... and if you know the story behind it you realize the music was made to match the mood of each chapter in the story, and you can feel passion when they bare making love, and fear and anger and violence and conflict when the shiek is at war.
        There's a time and place for all different kinds of music. If you want to relax, or snuggle up with your woman, Celine is just fine in the background.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post

So, Celine Dion deserves particular distain because her pop tunes are labeled as j***? I have never seen her music listed as j*** anywhere. So that doesn't make sense either.
          No Jenn, Celine is not labeled j***, Kenny is.

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
          "No...I didn't."
          "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post
            When I want to relax, or just have mellow tunes in the background, I enjoy music like Celine's. Doesn't matter who... just let me hear nice, relaxing tunes. Lionel Richie, Elton... anything that isn't blasting my brains out at a high dB.
            You guys would probably cringe at the classical work, Sheherazade... beautiful music, and damned sexy, too. I love it.... and if you know the story behind it you realize the music was made to match the mood of each chapter in the story, and you can feel passion when they bare making love, and fear and anger and violence and conflict when the shiek is at war.
            There's a time and place for all different kinds of music. If you want to relax, or snuggle up with your woman, Celine is just fine in the background.
            Zim-
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDAB...L_kfZ5tWSizWjM
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koovfipR5FM
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbxtYqA6ypM
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1tL...kjuV6eeo9Kf2lY
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTTlaM4VNNY
            "No...I didn't."

Comment

• wow... Thank you, Joe.
              This is the music I grew up with. That's a reason I like to be on here ... the peeps on here are younger and have totally different music preferences... and I like that.
              I was raised in a home where this kind of music was always played. My dad, born in 2010, became a professional pianist when he was 18, in 1928. He didn't get married until 1938 and I came along in '46 when he came back from the war. This was the kind of music that was always played on the radio, or on his extensive library of 78's. When Elvis and Chuck Berry came along in '55-'56 it was a radical change of pace in the music industry, but it was still chock full of songs for 'slow dancing. 1960, Santo and Johnny, Sleep Walk was my favorite song, along with Del Shannnon's Runaway... that was the pace. So, I've always liked the slower, simpler, boring elevator music.

Comment

• Zim-
                Funny thing: I've had no choice when I was younger but to learn all those styles......because I had to pay the rent (now mortgage)....it's great that I learned to grow my brain and soul up into it....otherwise I would've missed so much.
                I gave you some J-A-Z-Z ( for whatever reason this website filters that word) that is I think relaxing and yet not dumbed down.
                I could talk for hours about music but I won't, I just hope you like the links I gave you.

BTW, I dig Lionel Ritchie and Elton John as much as what I sent you.

Hell, the other day I was listening to Sam Cooke and man.....I was feelin it.
                "No...I didn't."

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post

But seriously....LED or OLED?
                  OLED

i like deeper black contrast and since plasma is not really an option anymore Id go for the next best.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post

Your name should have been on the order receipt for instant recall. A person in his position should definitely be respectful to every customer, and to call them by name, when they have access to it, should be expected by their manager. But, a bartender? They might see dozens of new faces on any evening. When I make a sales call and have 3 or 4, or more engineers sitting down with me, and they go around the horn introducing themselves... I'm in trouble. Even if I repeat it and think on it a second time, I'm in trouble. I can clearly remember the exact location and person that taught me how to tie my shoes 66 years ago, but I can't remember where I put my coffee cup 10 minutes ago. I think they call it short term memory... lol. Like my friends say when I forget something... have another toke, zim.
                    I was raised to call any man, 'sir' whose name I don't know, and I do that even to much younger men that I often deal with. "Chief' is disrespectful, imo, but I do know guys who think it is cool to call other guys by that name... so, maybe he just needs someone to smarten him up.... like his manager.
                    I used to cheat and give everyone in the room a business card. I would usually get one in return and I would leave them all face up in front of me generally (but ideally not obviously) arranged so that when I looked at someone I could glance down and see his or her name. I like to look people in the eye and address them by name. Itís the only thing that separates us from apes.

My short term memory is also um, what are we talking about again?

Comment

We already have Fez for this kind of thing, chief.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                        Im not your buddy, guy
                        I'm not your guy, friend
                        I'm not your friend, buddy
                        http://www.lyricsfreak.com/f/frank+s..._20266805.html

Comment

Heís a national treasure. Bastige!

Comment

• Thanks Joe - thatís some nice **** there.

When Iím done spamming this board, Iím gonna have another beer and listen to them all.

Comment

Zim-
                              Funny thing: I've had no choice when I was younger but to learn all those styles......because I had to pay the rent (now mortgage)....it's great that I learned to grow my brain and soul up into it....otherwise I would've missed so much.
                              I gave you some J-A-Z-Z ( for whatever reason this website filters that word) that is I think relaxing and yet not dumbed down.
                              I could talk for hours about music but I won't, I just hope you like the links I gave you.

BTW, I dig Lionel Ritchie and Elton John as much as what I sent you.

Hell, the other day I was listening to Sam Cooke and man.....I was feelin it.
                              I love Sam Cooke.

Ive been listening to a lot 30s stuff. Hoagie Carmichael, Fats Waller. I was diving deeply into George Harrison and playing a lot oif his stuff. And that kinda led to listening to his influences. Itís great stuff.

I was was also lucky to share a room for 20 years with an older brother who listened to the opposite music from me. And since he was older and there was one record player. We listened to a lot of his music. Dylan, Zevon, Jackson Browne, The Band, Ian Hunter, Dire Straits, Springsteen. I listened only to progressive rock or heavy metal. I never would have heard those songs then. I can only hope Iíd find them later, thankfully I didnít have to.

Good night, Cleveland!

Comment

• Yoo
                                Mood: WOOF!

Comment

Working...
                                X