Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rudy, the 1993 biopic about known fraud Daniel “Rudy” Ruettiger, is often ranked among the best sports movies of all time. Well, counterpoint: Rudy is actually a terrible movie about a terrible man who complains his way to success. It is not a film that exemplifies strength and resilience. It’s a film that exemplifies the triumph of weakness.
    Let’s recap. The movie—directed by David Anspaugh —begins with young Rudy (Sean Astin) feeling stuck in his hometown of Joliet, Illinois, surrounded by a family who does not support his dream of one day playing football for Notre Dame. His dad and brothers are blue-collar guys, you see, and they find Rudy’s aspirations of going to college totally frivolous. To be fair, they’ve also probably seen him play football before and noticed— as we’ll spend the rest of the film noticing —that he is not very good.

    Not to be deterred by circumstance (or skill), Rudy attempts to get into Notre Dame and fails. (Failure is a big pattern here.) He instead enrolls in a nearby community college and takes an unpaid job helping out Fortune, the Notre Dame stadium groundskeeper. I’m sorry, did I say “helping out”? What I meant was “annoying the **** out of.” Rudy, that little ****er, spends most of his “work” hours complaining to Fortune, —a black Notre Dame alum-turned-janitor— about how much he wants to play football. Coincidentally, Fortune once dreamt of playing Notre Dame football, too, but was never allowed to play on the field because of RACISM. But yeah, keep whining, Rudy. Your struggles are very similar.
    Similarly to how he keeps failing to get into Notre Dame, Rudy keeps failing to win the support of his family. Maybe it’s because they don’t believe in him. Or maybe it’s because Rudy’s such a ****ing snot about working in a steel mill. (Steel, by the way, is a great American industry and Rudy’s dad and brothers should be proud of their occupation. Damn, this film’s not only bad, —it’s also anti-patriotic.)

    The family eventually comes around when Rudy makes it into Notre Dame during his final semester of eligibility. Once there, he tries out for football and is eventually allowed on the practice team, not because he’s particularly good, but because he wants it so badly. The rest of the practice scenes basically consist of a flailing Rudy grunting, “"Come on, Coach! I can do it",” while consistently demonstrating that he cannot do it.

    Slowly but surely, Rudy gains the affection of his teammates with his across the board “E for Effort” performance. One coach even says he’ll let Rudy play in one pity game so that his friends and family can see that he’s a real Notre Dame player. (He’s not.) But then that coach dies or something (I was checking my phone while re-watching the movie last night and missed this part) and the new head coach sees Rudy for what he really is: —a **** player who doesn’t really deserve to be there. Unfortunately, this lone MAN OF SENSE is pressured by his team to let Rudy suit up for the big game against Georgia Tech.

    Anyway, the game happens. Rudy is stuck on the bench in his little football costume. Notre Dame is winning by a lot, so finally —after more pressure from his team and the crowd— the coach is like, “Whatever, Rudy, you dumb ****. Go on the field and run around in your little circles or whatever. The **** do I care.” So Rudy gets out there, yells “what do I do!” (answer: football), does some pointless plays that don’t really do much, and becomes a hero. Wow, mediocrity at its finest.


    You know, it’s strange that millennials are always being dubbed as the “everyone gets a trophy” generation when Rudy....—****ing RUDY—!!! is considered one of the most inspirational stories to come out of the ’70s. This is quite literally the story of a bad football player who gets to play for an elite team simply because he asks enough times. Hell, at least Friday Night Light’s Matt Saracen had to earn it.
    Last edited by JPizzack; 11-13-2017, 04:27 PM.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

    It's too bad, I'm too good....

    Comment


    • Pretty sure Caddyshack is the closest thing to a sports movie that we've ever watched.

      Wonder if our Rudy ever got her sled dog?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post
        Pretty sure Caddyshack is the closest thing to a sports movie that we've ever watched.

        Wonder if our Rudy ever got her sled dog?
        I forgot we had a Rudy.....
        Oderint Dum Metuant

        It's too bad, I'm too good....

        Comment


        • Originally posted by JPizzack View Post

          I forgot we had a Rudy.....
          Like the physically challenged QB from Notre Dame, I have a "hunch" that she will be "back".

          I really crack myself up.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by JPizzack View Post

            Anyway, the game happens. Rudy is stuck on the bench in his little football costume. Notre Dame is winning by a lot, so finally —after more pressure from his team and the crowd— the coach is like, “Whatever, Rudy, you dumb ****. Go on the field and run around in your little circles or whatever. The **** do I care.” So Rudy gets out there, yells “what do I do!” (answer: football), does some pointless plays that don’t really do much, and becomes a hero. Wow, mediocrity at its finest.[/FONT][/SIZE]
            Ughhh. I know it's suppose to be funny but what moron wrote that?
            "Football costume"? You mean a uniform?
            "Yells what do I do?" You mean he asked the coach if he's staying on the field?
            "does some pointless play that dont really do much"? You mean he got a sack on his first college snap to end the game?

            The kid was 5 ft nothing and a 100 and change. It was his dream to play for Notre Dame. He busted his ***, never gave up and he did it despite what everyone else told him.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
              Happy birthday, B.

              B-Day.
              Happy Birthday, Byron.

              Glad you had an enjoyable time celebrating.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

                Happy Birthday, Byron.

                Glad you had an enjoyable time celebrating.
                Thanks Sarc

                Comment


                • Originally posted by JPizzack View Post

                  I also enjoy both those things!!

                  Happy Birthday, B
                  haha Thanks JP !

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by dezzzR View Post

                    Ughhh. I know it's suppose to be funny but what moron wrote that?
                    "Football costume"? You mean a uniform?
                    "Yells what do I do?" You mean he asked the coach if he's staying on the field?
                    "does some pointless play that dont really do much"? You mean he got a sack on his first college snap to end the game?

                    The kid was 5 ft nothing and a 100 and change. It was his dream to play for Notre Dame. He busted his ***, never gave up and he did it despite what everyone else told him.
                    He was carried out of the stadium because he asked to be. Movie painted a better picture of him than what was reality. Apparently he was a ******** in real life and I'm pretty sure the sack was fabricated for the movie as well. Enjoyable formulaic movie, they don't have to be particularly good or original to be enjoyable. I've seen enough "based on a true story" movies to know that anything resembling reality in them is purely coincidental. Like "based on a book by..." means they share a title and main character name and little else.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by jmike View Post

                      He was carried out of the stadium because he asked to be. Movie painted a better picture of him than what was reality. Apparently he was a ******** in real life and I'm pretty sure the sack was fabricated for the movie as well. Enjoyable formulaic movie, they don't have to be particularly good or original to be enjoyable. I've seen enough "based on a true story" movies to know that anything resembling reality in them is purely coincidental. Like "based on a book by..." means they share a title and main character name and little else.
                      Yeah, like that recent Tom Hanks movie where he gives himself up to those Somalian pirates. I read the actual crew hated their captain, and he didn't go so bravely. I'd hate a captain, too - if he took us into a machine gun toting pirate infested area with only water guns.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by jmike View Post

                        He was carried out of the stadium because he asked to be. Movie painted a better picture of him than what was reality. Apparently he was a ******** in real life and I'm pretty sure the sack was fabricated for the movie as well. Enjoyable formulaic movie, they don't have to be particularly good or original to be enjoyable. I've seen enough "based on a true story" movies to know that anything resembling reality in them is purely coincidental. Like "based on a book by..." means they share a title and main character name and little else.
                        The sack was not fabricated
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z950ovP7N4

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                          That looks fake to me.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by dezzzR View Post

                            Ughhh. I know it's suppose to be funny but what moron wrote that?
                            "Football costume"? You mean a uniform?
                            "Yells what do I do?" You mean he asked the coach if he's staying on the field?
                            "does some pointless play that dont really do much"? You mean he got a sack on his first college snap to end the game?

                            The kid was 5 ft nothing and a 100 and change. It was his dream to play for Notre Dame. He busted his ***, never gave up and he did it despite what everyone else told him.
                            lol, the dude played college football as a 28 year old...that's not A THING. He was a charity case. There's nothing inspiring about his story. He literally complained his way to get what he wanted. He's also a piece of **** who ripped off people in the stock market.
                            Oderint Dum Metuant

                            It's too bad, I'm too good....

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by JPizzack View Post

                              lol, the dude played college football as a 28 year old...that's not A THING. He was a charity case. There's nothing inspiring about his story. He literally complained his way to get what he wanted. He's also a piece of **** who ripped off people in the stock market.
                              How did he complain?
                              No. He wasn't big or strong enough to play but he worked his *** off, won over the players on his team and 2 coaches.
                              You don't get to play by complaining your way to the top in college or the NFL. Never happened, never gonna happen

                              You're a banker, you rip people off every damn day.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                                How did he complain?
                                No. He wasn't big or strong enough to play but he worked his *** off, won over the players on his team and 2 coaches.
                                You don't get to play by complaining your way to the top in college or the NFL. Never happened, never gonna happen

                                You're a banker, you rip people off every damn day.
                                Rudy is a waste of space. Even the super-embellished, "feel good" version of the story that they portray in the movie proves that he talked his way onto the team. Sure he busted his *** to try to prove his worth. But nobody wanted him, because he was useless. They felt bad for him. in 2017 you'd call him an entitled millennial. Why youre saying otherwise is kinda hilarious.

                                Rudy is the participation trophy of sports.

                                Also, I'm a consumer loan banker. Not an investment banker.
                                And I should make $250k a year because I try really hard, and want it more than anything.
                                Oderint Dum Metuant

                                It's too bad, I'm too good....

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X