This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

This topic has been debated here, and on other forums. I read it as a "regulated militia", whatever that can be misconstrued as, being necessary to bear arms. It all gets further muddled, when some areas allow carrying, and others do not. And then there are the constant changes or proposals for automatic weapons, clips, the length of the gun barrel... If the intent is for protecting ones self from the government, even a personnel tank is not going to help you. We have democratic system, and use our votes and courts to hope to contain those in power. The BLM movement continues to grow, and is not interested in hearing about change at their end - do desire a race war with heavy weaponry?
    The voting and courts don't always work out in the best interest of the people. The government's power is held by threat of force when all is said and done and the people have the right and responsibility to protect themselves from that force. This is what the 2nd amendment is about. I desire no race war, I think the current trend of identity politics and intersectionality, which was given legitimacy by the previous president and inflamed by the current president, is an ideology of evil people. I think those who wish to control our voices, our media and take away our ability to defend ourselves are the enemy of freedom and the people of this nation. Neither of my parents were born to this country. They came here and loved this country and what it stands for and I do as well. It does not mean it does not have flaws, there are many. The basic ideals this country was built on are things to fight for and hold dear, even if they have not always been applied equally. All we can hope for is a future where people will stop finding ways to divide themselves and look for ways they can help each other. Too often people do not take responsibility for their own actions. Often they are too interested in finding blame and pointing fingers than find solutions to the problems. I am a problem solver by nature and have little patience for those who wish to whine about their perceptions and feelings, or complain about things in the past that cannot be undone. These things do not help us move forward and only serve to further divide us.

People attack assault weapons because of mass shootings and think new laws will help, they won't, enforcing the current laws will help. 97% of gun crime is with handguns, why is the issue assault rifles; it makes no sense. 92% of mass shootings occurred in gun free zones, why would new laws protect people when the ones doing harm do not care about the laws? 80% of gun crimes are committed with guns that were not obtained legally, again how will new gun laws protect the people? What the anti-bill of rights people don't want you to know is that guns have been used in self defense or in preventing crimes more often than they are used to commit them. 90% of violent altercations are over in less than 5 minutes, the average response time of police to these reports is 11 minutes. How can people be protected when not allowed to protect themselves? As the rates of concealed carry goes up, crime rates go down. Now this is not proof of causality, but it does debunk the notion that more concealed carry results in more crime.

Nobody can point to any factual statistic that would support the notion that stricter gun laws will result in less violent crime. Stricter gun crime or illegal firearm sentencing may have an effect though, I'm still looking into the statistics on that. Current gun laws are not being effectively applied, why would adding new laws make them better at the application of them? In California in 2016 there were over 300K guns owned by people who legally obtained them that should not have been able to due to ineffective bureaucracy of keeping the database up to date. There are 13 people responsible for taking all of those guns away.

Comment

At least one episode of Sparty had penis in it.

I belong to the local Y where that kind of thing is ubiquitous. If you'd like, I'm happy to invite you next time I go.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
        The Supreme Court called the writers of the Bill of Rights lazy when it came to describing multiple issues, one of which being the 2nd amendment.
        DC vs Heller in 2008, they spent DAYS debating whether or not "regulated militia" was a part of the first part of the amendment. They basically decided that it was lazily worded and they weren't going to fix it. 'Merica.
        I agree it is poorly worded. Since language changes over time it is sometimes hard to determine. The language may change but the original intent of what was meant doesn't. Linguists have looked at that and the majority of them agree with my interpretation of the militia not being connected to the right of the people to own firearms. Which is why I use this interpretation of it. Since I am neither a linguist nor a lawyer, I tend to defer to their expertise on these things.

Comment

• Originally posted by byron View Post
          How about Oak Island ? It just started up again ... They need to find something this year to keep me watching its like 4 years now digging holes and not really finding much....
          lmao I know, I get pissed at that show because there's NO plan. " uhh lets dig in the swamp, nah lets dig over here." Dig down the shaft! Thats where the treasure is, thats where the coded message was found, that's where the headless body is.
          Their main focus should be removing all the debris in the shaft and figuring out a way to make the whole wider so they can bring the treasure up. Keep sending divers down to see if they can open the damn box.

Comment

You young fellas have such closed minds, LOL! You said you wanted something new, so if you hadn't heard of it - that would be "new".

Are you going to watch this new series on History tonight, "Knightfall"? I read the opening scene will be killer.
            I agree, it will take only a few minutes to find and listen to a couple of songs to see if you like it. This way you can make a decision with knowledge instead of ignorance; which has always been my preferred method of decision making.

Comment

I don't have cable, but I've seen the ads for it. There's a solid chance I'll try to binge it when I can find it though. I'm always interested in **** like that. Vikings is my jam....
              I prefer raspberry, viking jam leaves an unpleasant aftertaste.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

I belong to the local Y where that kind of thing is ubiquitous. If you'd like, I'm happy to invite you next time I go.
                That's so misleading. Considering the shape of a "Y", you'd think something else would be prominently displayed.

Comment

• Got me some new wheels yo....

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                  "No...I didn't."
                  "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• Originally posted by byron View Post
                    How about Oak Island ? It just started up again ... They need to find something this year to keep me watching its like 4 years now digging holes and not really finding much....
                    They've suckered you into watching 4 years of guys digging holes to find treasures that don't exist?
                    That's like Geraldo opening Al Capone's safe? SUCKAAA***Z
                    Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

SUCKAZ GOTS TA KNOW!!!!!
                      Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

The purpose of a militia in the constitution is to stand against a tyrannical government. If the Gov't controls the military, your point doesn't make sense.
                        If the states assembled their own militias, the second amendment would make a hell of a lot more sense, in modern day. The constitution hasn't had anything meaningful amended or ratified since the 60s. (unless you really care when law changes involving congressional salaries take effect)

In my opinion, everything should be up for debate, because it's the only way to stay current. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to live in the 1800s.
                        Of course everything is up for debate. It is my opinion that it would be extremely stupid to do away with the 2nd amendment, which is what some people want.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post

The voting and courts don't always work out in the best interest of the people. The government's power is held by threat of force when all is said and done and the people have the right and responsibility to protect themselves from that force. This is what the 2nd amendment is about. I desire no race war, I think the current trend of identity politics and intersectionality, which was given legitimacy by the previous president and inflamed by the current president, is an ideology of evil people. I think those who wish to control our voices, our media and take away our ability to defend ourselves are the enemy of freedom and the people of this nation. Neither of my parents were born to this country. They came here and loved this country and what it stands for and I do as well. It does not mean it does not have flaws, there are many. The basic ideals this country was built on are things to fight for and hold dear, even if they have not always been applied equally. All we can hope for is a future where people will stop finding ways to divide themselves and look for ways they can help each other. Too often people do not take responsibility for their own actions. Often they are too interested in finding blame and pointing fingers than find solutions to the problems. I am a problem solver by nature and have little patience for those who wish to whine about their perceptions and feelings, or complain about things in the past that cannot be undone. These things do not help us move forward and only serve to further divide us.

People attack assault weapons because of mass shootings and think new laws will help, they won't, enforcing the current laws will help. 97% of gun crime is with handguns, why is the issue assault rifles; it makes no sense. 92% of mass shootings occurred in gun free zones, why would new laws protect people when the ones doing harm do not care about the laws? 80% of gun crimes are committed with guns that were not obtained legally, again how will new gun laws protect the people? What the anti-bill of rights people don't want you to know is that guns have been used in self defense or in preventing crimes more often than they are used to commit them. 90% of violent altercations are over in less than 5 minutes, the average response time of police to these reports is 11 minutes. How can people be protected when not allowed to protect themselves? As the rates of concealed carry goes up, crime rates go down. Now this is not proof of causality, but it does debunk the notion that more concealed carry results in more crime.

Nobody can point to any factual statistic that would support the notion that stricter gun laws will result in less violent crime. Stricter gun crime or illegal firearm sentencing may have an effect though, I'm still looking into the statistics on that. Current gun laws are not being effectively applied, why would adding new laws make them better at the application of them? In California in 2016 there were over 300K guns owned by people who legally obtained them that should not have been able to due to ineffective bureaucracy of keeping the database up to date. There are 13 people responsible for taking all of those guns away.
                          You've done your homework, and that just pisses off those who have interest in change at their end, or consideration of the facts. I'm generally conservative, but don't completely fall into that box - nor do I usually have strong opinions on what's right or wrong.
                          A few things about concealed carry, or even owning a gun - are the deaths and accidents to peoples own family members, themselves, bystanders, those shot out self defense that stretch that need. And I would suppose that most career criminals would not remain at large long, if they were to use registered guns, bullets that can be traced, etc... for their crimes.

Comment

They've suckered you into watching 4 years of guys digging holes to find treasures that don't exist?
                            That's like Geraldo opening Al Capone's safe? SUCKAAA***Z
                            haha well I'm not biting on their latest "Finding Escobar's Millions" they ain't fooling me twice!!

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post

Every ones telling me The Punisher is really good. I haven't watched any of the marvel shows on tv. Some good shows I watched recently are Peaky Blinders, Stranger Things(I hope that was the last season, they're getting too old now), Istarted watching the Marco Polo show on Netflix, looked good.
                              Other than that Family Guy's been ok. Always loved that stupid humor. I like American Dad better. South Parks been ok too.
                              Punisher is very good

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post

I prefer raspberry, viking jam leaves an unpleasant aftertaste.
                                I just bought some gourmet strawberry jam that was really good, but it took a half hour to get the ****ing cap off.

Comment

Working...
                                X