• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
    Ah
    Asian
    Massage
    Parlors

....yeah....they don't take credit cards
    I think some do, but my wife pays the bills...

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

my wife pays the bills...
      Big mistake.

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
      "No...I didn't."
      "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Big mistake.

Actually having her take care of the bills keeps my head from blowing off, if I were to see them every month. I asked her to never even tell me what the property tax is, here.

Comment

Actually having her take care of the bills keeps my head from blowing off, if I were to see them every month. I asked her to never even tell me what the property tax is, here.
          lol
          Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• I ran some errands after work last night....got home and I was really achy)idk how to spell that) for some reason? Usually for me that means I'm feverish...so I popped some advil and went to bed....at 930...

fast forward to 6am....GOOD GOD THAT WAS WAY TOO MUCH SLEEP!!! I feel like instead I haven't slept in 3 days!!
            Humans are weird....
            Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Do you have kids in the school system? If not you should move to a town with lower taxes....
              "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
              "No...I didn't."
              "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Do you have kids in the school system? If not you should move to a town with lower taxes....
                We don't have kids. I don't understand why homeowners with no kids pay the same property tax as homeowners that could have 10 kids, given the school system accounts for half of that tax. Nor do I understand why people who rent with a big family pay nothing. We should all pay by the kid, like the tax deductions are done.
                The village we live in is more lower middle class than other areas in this town, and really doesn't offer much for those high taxes. We thought the taxes would be lower, when we were house hunting, or at least not keep shooting up. We have done grievances, with a company that specializes in that, and got a whopping $150 a year reduction. But the house suits our needs well, and I've done quite a bit of work on it and the yard. Living close to my wife's mother is very important to her.

Comment

We don't have kids. I don't understand why homeowners with no kids pay the same property tax as homeowners that could have 10 kids, given the school system accounts for half of that tax. Nor do I understand why people who rent with a big family pay nothing. We should all pay by the kid, like the tax deductions are done.
                  The village we live in is more lower middle class than other areas in this town, and really doesn't offer much for those high taxes. We thought the taxes would be lower, when we were house hunting, or at least not keep shooting up. We have done grievances, with a company that specializes in that, and got a whopping $150 a year reduction. But the house suits our needs well, and I've done quite a bit of work on it and the yard. Living close to my wife's mother is very important to her.
                  I can't find facts on this, but I feel like in most communities, before separate prop & school tax was a thing, the amount was the same, but eventually school tax split off into it's own tax? Forget where I heard/read that. That's the ONLY reason it would make sense, otherwise I'd agree with you.
                  HOWEVER....if your taxes have to pay for police and fire depts., wouldn't school fit into a social service like that too?
                  Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• The irony is that towns here in NNJ that are more "upscale" ( i.e million dollar homes and huge taxes to match) are supposed to have great school systems.
                    They don't. Trust me; those kids are dumb as rocks.
                    They sure have way nicer cell phones than me though.
                    "No...I didn't."

Comment

The irony is that towns here in NNJ that are more "upscale" ( i.e million dollar homes and huge taxes to match) are supposed to have great school systems.
                      They don't. Trust me; those kids are dumb as rocks.
                      They sure have way nicer cell phones than me though.
                      hahaha

My area used to be known for it's quality school district, which is why my parents chose to move here from Peekskill. But, due to that, in the 80s, a HUGE increase in population, and massive enrollment increase happened. 18 kid classrooms increased to 35 kid classrooms...and no longer was anything "quality"

Also doesn't help that teachers NEVER retire, so once they are just adding to their pension benefit, they don't give a flying **** about kids once they are well into their 60s lol
                      Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post

Also doesn't help that teachers NEVER retire, so once they are just adding to their pension benefit, they don't give a flying **** about kids once they are well into their 60s lol
                        It's true.
                        "No...I didn't."

Comment

If your feeling is the only people who should pay taxes for school is the people who have kids, you are supporting privatized education. While I am mostly in favor of deregulation and privatization, I don't think it would be an overall benefit to this country to do that with the education system.

Comment

• The city schools here are horrible. Its why my sister sends my nephew to private school. I think a school voucher system would be better.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post

If your feeling is the only people who should pay taxes for school is the people who have kids, you are supporting privatized education. While I am mostly in favor of deregulation and privatization, I don't think it would be an overall benefit to this country to do that with the education system.
                              Truth. Necessary evil, imo.
                              Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post

I was thinking that everyone, kids or no kids, should pay some percentage of the school's needs (let's say 50%), but then those with x number of kids would pay a proportionate amount more to cover the remainder. But even that still doesn't get the ones that rent to pitch in for their kids education.

Comment

Working...
                                X