This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
    The irony is that towns here in NNJ that are more "upscale" ( i.e million dollar homes and huge taxes to match) are supposed to have great school systems.
    They don't. Trust me; those kids are dumb as rocks.
    They sure have way nicer cell phones than me though.
    I suppose they'll do fine, starting off in life with silver spoons. It's the less wealthy that will actually need an education to get anywhere, or get help for college.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post

I can't find facts on this, but I feel like in most communities, before separate prop & school tax was a thing, the amount was the same, but eventually school tax split off into it's own tax? Forget where I heard/read that. That's the ONLY reason it would make sense, otherwise I'd agree with you.
      HOWEVER....if your taxes have to pay for police and fire depts., wouldn't school fit into a social service like that too?
      I'm not sure. The fire dept is all volunteer, so their budget shouldn't be crazy. The police are by county, maybe that falls under state tax. Either way, fire and police services budgets wouldn't seem to matter much by size of family, like education does.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

I was thinking that everyone, kids or no kids, should pay some percentage of the school's needs (let's say 50%), but then those with x number of kids would pay a proportionate amount more to cover the remainder. But even that still doesn't get the ones that rent to pitch in for their kids education.
        A system like that will just hurt the children. Raising children is expensive enough, increasing your tax liability because you have them will just make it worse and the worst thing for us to screw up is raising children. Some small deduction of property taxes, for people over the age of 65 and 20 years living in a municipality, I could support. After 20 years you have paid much into it already and over retirement age your income begins to decrease.

Comment

I'm not sure. The fire dept is all volunteer, so their budget shouldn't be crazy. The police are by county, maybe that falls under state tax. Either way, fire and police services budgets wouldn't seem to matter much by size of family, like education does.
          That's why taxes in my area are so ridiculous.
          Massive school districts, professional firefighters every few miles it seems, town cops, county cops and of course state.....
          The firefighter salaries in this area are ****ing insane....like....disgusting. Guys retire in their 40s, with pension, and then find another job. It's public info so when you look it up it's enough to make you rethink your life choices
          Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

That's why taxes in my area are so ridiculous.
            Massive school districts, professional firefighters every few miles it seems, town cops, county cops and of course state.....
            The firefighter salaries in this area are ****ing insane....like....disgusting. Guys retire in their 40s, with pension, and then find another job. It's public info so when you look it up it's enough to make you rethink your life choices
            These guys put their life on the line for others. They are worth more to our society than an NFL QB. So unless they are making significantly more than an NFL QB annually, I'm not going to complain about how much they make.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post

These guys put their life on the line for others. They are worth more to our society than an NFL QB. So unless they are making significantly more than an NFL QB annually, I'm not going to complain about how much they make.
              Yep. Cops too. And I hear they really don't make that much, at least at first or not counting OT pay. Personality wise, I've known quite a few of both, and find it hard to call them friends or put up with what nasty drinkers they all seem to be. But I try to consider what they are exposed to and putting their life on the line every day.

Comment

Yep. Cops too. And I hear they really don't make that much, at least at first or not counting OT pay. Personality wise, I've known quite a few of both, and find it hard to call them friends or put up with what nasty drinkers they all seem to be. But I try to consider what they are exposed to and putting their life on the line every day.
                Yea I'm friends with all of them. My cop friends have...seen some ****, as they say, so I'd like to think they should make more.
                Maybe it's just where I live, but...man....firefighters. The only time I see them leave the house is to go to Vassar College, because their smoke alarm system is directly connected to the firehouse response. So, almost every night I see them driving to the campus entrance because some kid is probably lighting a j in his room lol

I know 4 firefighters, 2 different districts....good kids. But, they put in about 60 hours a week, and 90% of it is spent asleep at the house waiting for something to do.
                I know it's just because I'm more of a suburb area, but around here people just call them a tshirt club.
                FDNY I know is grossly underpaid. Those guys count the days to retirement I'm sure.
                Last edited by JPizzack; 12-08-2017, 01:58 PM.
                Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• grrrr.....hypocrites that have no self awareness really drive me nuts

Comment

grrrr.....hypocrites that have no self awareness really drive me nuts
                    I know, right? I try my best to enlighten these types, but it's kinda hopeless.

Comment

Whom do you speak of.

Comment

I spend most of my time here reading this board ...its crazy here lately ... At this point I'll be glad when the seasons over.. All this political stuff people calling each other bigots and racists Idk where football is headed ...

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post

Whenever I hear that song I think of Blades of Glory.

Jim Lampley- These guys put the bone in zamboni
                          lol - I had forgotten about that!
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

Big mistake.

Good thing they don't take credit cards I guess?
                            sigpic

Comment

• Comment

hahaha

My area used to be known for it's quality school district, which is why my parents chose to move here from Peekskill. But, due to that, in the 80s, a HUGE increase in population, and massive enrollment increase happened. 18 kid classrooms increased to 35 kid classrooms...and no longer was anything "quality"

Also doesn't help that teachers NEVER retire, so once they are just adding to their pension benefit, they don't give a flying **** about kids once they are well into their 60s lol

That's Arlington? I hear that high school now has 5,000 kids.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X