X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

1. It needs to be a cover band that has a great vocalist
    2. You need to get into good rooms....country clubs, weddings, rooms that are known to book cover bands in your area.
    I am not a cover band. My mix will be 2 or 3 to 1 originals. Not negotiable.
    Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post
      Definitely not the style of Yeats or Shakespeare.
      I think it's from Warrant, and not Whitman.
      I was going to but figured I'd play along and suggest that it was Rimbaud.

Comment

It was kinda like: Van Halen came out and they were great.....and then inspired a legion of crappiness in their wake.....
        Although iirc VH came out in the late '70s. Because I remember - although just barely - them opening for Black Sabbath at the Garden.

Man, they blew Sabbath off the stage. And that was hard to admit because I was there for Sabbath and had never heard of VH.

Comment

• Eddie wanted the original name of Van Halen to be Rat Salad....which I'm sure you know is a Sabbath tune...
          "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
          "No...I didn't."
          "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I am not a cover band. My mix will be 2 or 3 to 1 originals. Not negotiable.
            Then you're not making more than who you bring in to pay the cover.
            let's say the cover for a 200 crowd bar is $10 a piece..let's say you get 50 people to pay it. That's 500 bucks. The club owner takes half (if he's even honest) and your band splits 250.....which is 50 a man for a 5 piece.
            "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
            "No...I didn't."
            "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post

So explain to me why I'm not stealing a song when I listen to pandora or the radio but if I go to youtube and listen to it there I'm a thief.
              The radio station and Pandora have the rights to play the song for their audience. In some cases on you tube it is illegally posted, but they are good about copyright infringement there. Another way to legally get music free is to go to the library. Most have an extensive music collection, as well as movies, audiobooks and of course books. Downloading a pirated version off the internet is different than these legal ways of obtaining music. I'm not really sure why that is confusing to you.

Comment

Then you're not making more than who you bring in to pay the cover.
                let's say the cover for a 200 crowd bar is $10 a piece..let's say you get 50 people to pay it. That's 500 bucks. The club owner takes half (if he's even honest) and your band splits 250.....which is 50 a man for a 5 piece.
                It's a one man band. I use backing tracks.
                Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

Eddie wanted the original name of Van Halen to be Rat Salad....which I'm sure you know is a Sabbath tune...

Comment

• hey Sarc are you doing any gigs these days ? I see MH's work on facebook from time to time ... Question for you and Joe do you guys have anything you wouldn't mind sharing here or through pm that I could watch ... I understand if you don't want to do that ... good to see ya man

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

It's a one man band. I use backing tracks.
                      I had a feeling you liked playing with yourself.
                      "No...I didn't."

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post

Ohhhh noos, Lars from metallica can't get a brand new g6. He'll have to settle for his G5. If thats the case we might as well band youtube.

You really can't comprehend why people choose not paying for something they can get for free?

I miss the days of going to a music store and buying a new CD or cassette. Same with going to blockbuster to rent a movie. It sounds weird but the process of doing those things were enjoyable imo. Having everything at the tip of your fingers these days make it less enjoyable I feel.

Comment

• Originally posted by byron View Post
                          hey Sarc are you doing any gigs these days ? I see MH's work on facebook from time to time ... Question for you and Joe do you guys have anything you wouldn't mind sharing here or through pm that I could watch ... I understand if you don't want to do that ... good to see ya man
                          I've played some parties and stuff locally but that's about it. Oh and that fill in thing I did at Beatlefest in New Jersey last year. I don't think there are any videos of any of that floating around which is probably a real good thing, lol.

I did post a video link few years ago here from a band I was working with at the time but I have no idea how to find it either here or on youtube. Again, that's probably for the best!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

I've played some parties and stuff locally but that's about it. Oh and that fill in thing I did at Beatlefest in New Jersey last year. I don't think there are any videos of any of that floating around which is probably a real good thing, lol.

I did post a video link few years ago here from a band I was working with at the time but I have no idea how to find it either here or on youtube. Again, that's probably for the best!
                            thanks man

Comment

• Originally posted by R2Z2 View Post

I miss the days of going to a music store and buying a new CD or cassette. Same with going to blockbuster to rent a movie. It sounds weird but the process of doing those things were enjoyable imo. Having everything at the tip of your fingers these days make it less enjoyable I feel.
                              There were few things as exciting as riding a bicycle to the music store, going through the records, choosing one and pedaling furiously home to play it. We used to actually watch the whole movie, when we went to the video store - now my wife just pay per views one after another, and neither one of us is paying attention after 5 minutes. I think this applies to many things in life, and why they say rich people are never truly happy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sarcasman View Post

Although iirc VH came out in the late '70s. Because I remember - although just barely - them opening for Black Sabbath at the Garden.

Man, they blew Sabbath off the stage. And that was hard to admit because I was there for Sabbath and had never heard of VH.
                                I don't feel the original Black Sabbath members were polished musicians, although I dig their sound. I also cannot relate to Eddie Van Halen's style, or even see how it fits the music they're playing. It often sounds like a bunch of guitar tricks he just rearranges for each song.

Comment

Working...
                                X