This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmike View Post

Congrats Zim! Still got it I see, how was his dress?
    awesome... with many secret compartments for concealed weapons..

Comment

• Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian are starting their own football league that will be shown on CBS from Feb through April beginning in 2019.

IDK, maybe I'm missing something here but it seems these start up leagues are attacking the wrong market. The see the waning NFL ratings and think they can attack that market. I don't think it will work.

If another pro league wants to be successful they should not be competing with the NFL. They should compete with the NCAA. Go after the same players they do with the plan to develop them in pro style systems that will prepare them for the NFL and they can earn money instead of a scholarship. Plus they will be able to have agents and endorsement deals. This will be an appealing option for a lot of potential NCAA athletes. This can at least allow you the chance to compete with an even talent pool. I think they need to also allow them to be draft eligible in the same way they are in college.

Play on Saturday, compete with the for talent and viewership, work with the NFL by developing players in pro style systems instead of these quirky college systems, create a good revenue sharing program with the players, I think it will have a chance to last a while.

Comment

• Football from February til April??

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
        "No...I didn't."
        "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian are starting their own football league that will be shown on CBS from Feb through April beginning in 2019.

IDK, maybe I'm missing something here but it seems these start up leagues are attacking the wrong market. The see the waning NFL ratings and think they can attack that market. I don't think it will work.

If another pro league wants to be successful they should not be competing with the NFL. They should compete with the NCAA. Go after the same players they do with the plan to develop them in pro style systems that will prepare them for the NFL and they can earn money instead of a scholarship. Plus they will be able to have agents and endorsement deals. This will be an appealing option for a lot of potential NCAA athletes. This can at least allow you the chance to compete with an even talent pool. I think they need to also allow them to be draft eligible in the same way they are in college.

Play on Saturday, compete with the for talent and viewership, work with the NFL by developing players in pro style systems instead of these quirky college systems, create a good revenue sharing program with the players, I think it will have a chance to last a while.
          Thatís a very interesting and logical way of going about it. Never thought of or heard of an idea like that. Would be interesting to see if that works. Iíve always felt it is a waste to compete against the NFL, regardless of ratings. This country only really values two brands of football (in regards to ratings and investing money to go to Games live) and that is the NFL and division 1 college football. No other options have ever been a threat. Your idea is definitely an interesting one. Especially the paying of college aged athletes. That would definitely garner some interest from top high school athletes.
          Last edited by R2Z2; 03-20-2018, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• If I were interested in football, but not college academics, this type of endeavor would be very interesting... earn some money for the family while competing and improving in a league of equal talents... Grooming for the NFL. But, let's face it, a lot of them will suffer a career ending injury. That's where a school for continuing your academics becomes important.
            So, for those in this new league that are interested... offer them enrolment in local trade schools for welders, electricians, plumbers, computer tech's, electronics techs... or Community/County colleges with 2 year courses in physical therapy assistants, radiation technicians, etc. Make at least a commitment to the players in that regard so they have something to fall back on. Most would not aspire to finish commitment to a 4+ year degree... and they don't get training for a trade in most college 4 year curriculums.... just course after course in English, History, Psychology, etc... useless for most of the football athletes.
            Last edited by zimonami; 03-20-2018, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• I think it's a great idea and I love Zim's enhancement. Who wants to work on the business plan with me?

Let's go make a few hundred million each.

ps - Jmike I'm sure what you say about your sister is true. My wife is 54 and I think she's hot. Certainly too hot for me anyway.

We are all aware there are many hot woman over 40. But it was a layup joke, I had to take it. Not everything is so literal, Lilly!
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

I got Cinemax........
                That will definitely drive me away - you know I don't pay attention to TV anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post

I'm more of an Catherine Hepburn guy.
                  Better fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post

+1
                    I remember dating a girl who had just the right amount of "meat on her bones" so to speak, and it was great. Then she went crazy and did some diet and lost all this weight she didn't need to where it got to the point you could see her ribs protruding and what was left of her boobs were all wrinkled and saggy.

That was game over for me.
                    I thought low tide kitty was game over for you?

Comment

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post
                      If I were interested in football, but not college academics, this type of endeavor would be very interesting... earn some money for the family while competing and improving in a league of equal talents... Grooming for the NFL. But, let's face it, a lot of them will suffer a career ending injury. That's where a school for continuing your academics becomes important.
                      So, for those in this new league that are interested... offer them enrolment in local trade schools for welders, electricians, plumbers, computer tech's, electronics techs... or Community/County colleges with 2 year courses in physical therapy assistants, radiation technicians, etc. Make at least a commitment to the players in that regard so they have something to fall back on. Most would not aspire to finish commitment to a 4+ year degree... and they don't get training for a trade in most college 4 year curriculums.... just course after course in English, History, Psychology, etc... useless for most of the football athletes.
                      Can't they just become car salesmen in the area they're known? No one wants to be in the trades, anymore - unless they can't speak English.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

There have been quite a few deal breakers over the years.
                        "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                        "No...I didn't."
                        "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

Whatís low tide kitty ?

Comment

• Originally posted by R2Z2 View Post

Whatís low tide kitty ?
                            It's a certain scent......not sure if I should say any more than that.
                            "No...I didn't."

Comment

Can't they just become car salesmen in the area they're known? No one wants to be in the trades, anymore - unless they can't speak English.
                              IDK, pretty smart to become an electrician these days. Schooling is significantly less expensive than a university degree and your earning potential exceeds most 4 year degrees. The electrician my contractor hired for my place was telling me there is a shortage of qualified electricians and the demand is higher than ever. A lot of the young kids that would have gone into the trade in years past end up in computer schools. He has more job offers than he can handle, he can pick and choose which jobs he does and doesn't take.

Comment

IDK, pretty smart to become an electrician these days. Schooling is significantly less expensive than a university degree and your earning potential exceeds most 4 year degrees. The electrician my contractor hired for my place was telling me there is a shortage of qualified electricians and the demand is higher than ever. A lot of the young kids that would have gone into the trade in years past end up in computer schools. He has more job offers than he can handle, he can pick and choose which jobs he does and doesn't take.
                                There's a shortage because most young people these days do not want to do physical work, they're pushed to "be something better", and college is free and quite easy for many. Like I said, most trades are being taken over by non English speaking persons - and that makes it even less desirable and honorable to get into.
                                And electrical work can obviously be dangerous. I have to work on 480 volt equipment daily, and sometimes 12,000 volt switching systems. The arc flash training I was given scared the **** out me, instead of making me more comfortable. Another task where if something wrong happens, you wish you were dead, than survive it.

Comment

Working...
                                X