This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post

Wow. If all that is true, then you have a significant point. I don't know. I never had a single issue growing up. No father... that's OK cuz my mom is great. Besides, my good friend lost his mom to cancer a few months before my dad died... so, **** happens to us all. My mom never wanted to hear complaints. Never wanted to hear, I can't. We were so poor that the local volunteer fire department put a turkey on our doorstep every Thanksgiving and Christmas to helpout. But, I nevr knew what poor meant because we always had food on the table. Mom taught me how to sew to mend a torn shirt, or pants. I never got new shoes if the worn ones fit... then they were re-soled... I could cook my own food, and wash the dishes, and iron my own shirts, and made enough money to give half to my mom and use the rest for a new shirt or maybe a bathing suit. I always paid for my own dates, and that started at 12 years old. My sisters also had to fend for themselves cuz Mom worked.I never would have gone to college without scholarships, and I knew it, so I just made sure I got good grades by, perish the thought, studying.
    My sales manager said last year... I've never heard you complain about anything since I've known you... over 25 years.
    You just adjusted to whatever life gave you, and they can do the same today.
    Girls have more advantages these days? Well, I am responsible for getting my own good grades in school, and fending for myself. I think there is probably a lot of truth to what you say... but, I think it's more of a crutch than a REAL impediment. There is opportunity for us all in this world, but you'll never take advantage of what might be if you are looking for an excuse for how the world is holding you back.
    It's about time women got the equal rights and recognition they always deserved. If the scales have tipped a bit in their favor, so what. "God helps those who help themselves" was how my mom taught me to handle life. If I were a mom with a son, today, I would never let him feel that he has a single disadvantage. Just work hard, respect all life, and go forward working towards your goals.
    Zim, you are talking about individuals. Any individual can overcome any challenge, you know me well enough to know I don't put up with BS excuses. But what I am talking about is trends across the nation. You don't think if 77% of the suicides in this country were women you wouldn't hear about it every night in the national media? It isn't so much that the problems are bad, or even that they are worse than what others face, in some ways they are and in others they aren't. The problem is few care and little to no effort is being made to address these serious problems. One in 5 school aged boys is diagnosed and medicated for some type of of behavioral disorder. Medication that most often has side effects that include depression. Hard to put the effort into school when you are popping downers everyday on doctors orders.

-School shootings
    -Increased incarceration
    -Raising incidents of obesity
    -Raising suicide rate
    -Increasing incidents of severe depression
    -Increasing rate of school drop outs
    -Decreasing performance in school
    -Decreasing performance on standardized tests
    -Decreasing enrollment in higher education
    -Decreasing enrollment in graduate courses
    -Decreasing testosterone levels
    -7 million have taken themselves out of the work force
    -Increasing rate of alcohol and drug abuse

anyway, you get the point. These are trends that have been going on for a while and nobody seems to have any interest in putting any effort into correcting or even trying to find out the factors causing these trends. But pull up your pants right? How about we put a little effort and attention into maybe fixing these issues as well, instead of once again telling young boys that they are not valuable to society, they're lives are less important and nobody cares about their problems. These problems don't only effect those going through them. I don't see why people think, "oh so the tables have turned" this isn't a petty spat with your sibling. You can put attention towards problems for both men and women. The issues for both are important and should be addressed. That is equality. Problems should be triaged in order of importance and societal impact, not in order of gender. It seems the people who spout off most about equality are the ones least interested in achieving it.

Comment

• I understand, but it is hard not to suggest that people... primarily starting with parents, make an effort to instill discipline, structure, and respect into their children, instead of trying to shield them from life's problems. It started with my generation, after WWII. Those parents were children during the depression, many during WWI, and they had a tougher life than any generations since. They, meaning my parents, wanted their children to have a better experience than they had. TV started, cars and airplanes changed the structure of travel... and the world started to get a whole lot smaller, especially with the nightly news bringing you the news more quickly. One hundred years ago an event like the recent brutal school event in Florida would probably show up 2 days later on p. 17 of the newspaper. Today we see all the crap as it happens.
      And, with each generation since then the parents have become increasingly coddling.
      We go to school for any number of different courses up through high school. I never did hear of Parenting 101 being offered at that time... for most just a few years before they'll be parents.. My guess is that 2 young people in love and having sex for the enjoyment of doing it with each other, have raising children as the least thought in their brains, and a responsibility that they are poorly prepared to assume.

Comment

• Part of the problem Zim is parents aren't there. Currently there a 48 million single parent households in the US vs 50 million duel parent households. If trends continue there will be more single parents very soon. Even when both parents are in the house, usually they both work. Growing up now is very different than when you were a kid, heck, its very different than when I was a kid and I'm not particularly old. So you can't really compare the situations of either of our experiences to those of children now. But again you are away from the point. Why are none of these serious issues getting attention and energy when the vast majority of the media are feeding us significant levels of other issues everyday. Many of them petty and unimportant the the future well being of our society, culture and country.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmike View Post
          Part of the problem Zim is parents aren't there. Currently there a 48 million single parent households in the US vs 50 million duel parent households. If trends continue there will be more single parents very soon. Even when both parents are in the house, usually they both work. Growing up now is very different than when you were a kid, heck, its very different than when I was a kid and I'm not particularly old. So you can't really compare the situations of either of our experiences to those of children now. But again you are away from the point. Why are none of these serious issues getting attention and energy when the vast majority of the media are feeding us significant levels of other issues everyday. Many of them petty and unimportant the the future well being of our society, culture and country.
          Priorities. And, priorities are a function of agenda., The media agenda is not to bring us real life problems in our society, It is to brinmg us sensational and controversial. They haven't got the answers either to parenting problems, so they ignore it. Monkey see no evil, etc. They don't talk about our dysfunctional citizens, unless they have shot up a classroom. They would rather talk about little slices of the day, like what stupid **** did the president say today. Let's talk about his son getting a divorce. Let's talk about another Hollywood actor, or CEO of a company that took advantage of another woman, or man. Not problems in our society... just sensational events. Did we hear what Giselle said about Tom yesterday? Did you see that revealing dress that one of the kardashians wore to a party? That idiot from North Korea and Donald Trump are at it, again. Which one is the bigger Ahole.
          They don't bring us disturbing trends in parenthood... or the burgeoning numbers of peoples going to psych clinics...or, not. We heard all about how Michelle Obama is leading the march for better school lunches... but, not about the increasing numbers of children that go without lunch every day.
          And, if the truth about the crumbling family structure can be ignored, we can just as easily avoid the truth about our crumbling roads and bridges. But, McDonnell Douglas got another contract for 10 billion dollars to build us another dozen Stealth Fighters, that will spend the greater part of their life unused and sitting idle in the dry heat of a desert,
          I see no solution to the trend. As I said to my Grand daughter... I envy you your age, but not the age you will grow up in.

Comment

Part of the problem Zim is parents aren't there. Currently there a 48 million single parent households in the US vs 50 million duel parent households. If trends continue there will be more single parents very soon. Even when both parents are in the house, usually they both work. Growing up now is very different than when you were a kid, heck, its very different than when I was a kid and I'm not particularly old. So you can't really compare the situations of either of our experiences to those of children now. But again you are away from the point. Why are none of these serious issues getting attention and energy when the vast majority of the media are feeding us significant levels of other issues everyday. Many of them petty and unimportant the the future well being of our society, culture and country.
            Seems to me kids run the show in most households these days, can make unlimited demands for their wants without any contribution to the family, and parents want to be considered their friends more than being a parent. And the most inappropriate thing the parents allow is letting the kids divide them on issues and wants. None of this ever was allowed to happen in the household I grew up in, or visited when young. #1 reason for divorce and fractured families, if you ask me.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmie ray View Post

Seems to me kids run the show in most households these days, can make unlimited demands for their wants without any contribution to the family, and parents want to be considered their friends more than being a parent. And the most inappropriate thing the parents allow is letting the kids divide them on issues and wants. None of this ever was allowed to happen in the household I grew up in, or visited when young. #1 reason for divorce and fractured families, if you ask me.
              All true, and the greatest point was parents trying to be their friend, instead of their parent. There is a definition to parenting, and it is not being chummy. Yes, you're chummy when the time calls for that. But, discipline, rules, and structure need to be instilled... with love. Also add some discussions in their about respecting others, and animals too... and for children it needs to starts at an early age, 'respecting your elders.'

Comment

• I think now that JPP is gone, we only have 1 player on the roster that was drafted between 2008 and 2014... ODB.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimonami View Post
                  I think now that JPP is gone, we only have 1 player on the roster that was drafted between 2008 and 2014... ODB.
                  6 drafts....1 player left.....pathetic.

"Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                  "No...I didn't."
                  "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• Garbage in, garbage out.
                    Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

There are significant issues. Particularly the perceived value of girls over boys. It has lead to dangerous levels of depression teenaged to young adult males. Did you know that 77% of suicides in this country are men and boys? You don't think there is a reason that all these school shootings are committed by boys? They are growing up being taught that they are less valuable than girls. Their behavior is less acceptable then girls. This society values their lives less than girls. They have fewer rights than girls. It is not socially acceptable for a boy to hit a girl, but a boy is shamed when a girl hits him. Even the simple right to vote comes with the promise that they must be willing to lay down their life if need be for that right. In order for me to have the right to vote all I had to do was turn 18. A boy on the other hand must register for selective service in order to register to vote.

You want to talk about rights, girls have the right to choose parenthood. Once that sperm enters the egg, the boy has no choice and is subject to the whim of the girl. They both should have chosen abstinence or protection, but beyond that point the boy is left with no choices and no options. The girl can choose to take a morning after pill, have an abortion, have the baby and give it up for adoption, have the baby and keep it. The boy can't force her to get rid of the baby, he cannot force her to keep the baby and he cannot opt out of parenthood if she decides to keep it. Courts and child support will make sure of that.

Across this country there are multiple state sponsored women's shelters in every state. There is one for men. While in most abusive relationships there is abuse on both sides, men are more likely to be the victim of unreciprocated domestic violence. We have women's marches that carry banners about rape culture when more men than women are raped in this country each year. Breast cancer gets national news and sponsorship from the NFL...where is prostate cancer day and blue ribbons. There is so much more and the constant onslaught of messages devaluing men and boys is haven't not only a mental but physical effect. Testosterone in men is down across the board, average testosterone levels in men is dropping at 1% per year and has been since the late 1980s, in all age groups and demographics. Nobody knows why and it seems nobody cares, because I doubt anyone here knew that already.

I am very afraid for my nephew in this world because more and more he is not welcome in it. Its all well and good to tell them to hitch up their pants, but it isn't so easy when everything thrown at them tells them they don't have worth.

Oh but ban the scary guns, that's the problem.
                      I like the concern for male issues but as man myself I can not take this seriously and would never complain about any of this lol

There is not a precieved value of girls over boys and there never has been lol. Look at the history of this country or society in general. Women have never been in an equal of more powerful position than men. When women advocate on behalf of their own issues they are never (unless you are looking at one specific bizzar-o outlier situation) trying to knock the issues that men face. Men are the standard in this country. Men are valued more, paid more, look at the wage gap. The economy is run by men, the government, the media, entertainment etc. Look the make up of the government, overwhelmingly male. Including committees designed to legislate women’s health.

Also boys aren’t depressed because they are told they don’t hold as much value as girls. They are depressed because the patriarchy tells them they have to be macho or strong or whatever and that they need to conceal their emotions. They are depressed because they have been told they are entitled to women and wealth and when they can’t get jobs or a get rejected by women they don’t know how to process it. It’s more a result of patriarchy and capitalism than women making minor strides towards equality. How are men’’s behavior’s less acceptable than women’s? A lot of the time it’s just “boys being boy”s. There is no equivalent for women to be honest. The actual biological process of giving birth, the fetus is apart of the women’s body. Attempts to legislate what a woman does with her fetus is about controlling woman most likely.

Testosterone is down in men more likely because our food is littered with chemicals and preservatives then some fake invented war against men lol.

Lastly if you look at every other country on earth with stricter gun regulations, gun violence is microscopic. There is an overwhelming amount of data on this. People who argue otherwise have either never researched this or have been significantly funded by the hillbillies at the NRA.
                      Last edited by R2Z2; 03-22-2018, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
                        Garbage in, garbage out.
                        Have you watched how horrible Ronda Rousey has been. Hopefully she turns heel soon. I think the fans will turn her eventually regardless.

Comment

• Originally posted by R2Z2 View Post

Have you watched how horrible Ronda Rousey has been. Hopefully she turns heel soon. I think the fans will turn her eventually regardless.
                          She's really awkward. She'll be fine though.
                          Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Favorite Weird Al parody?

I gotta go with "Smells like Nirvana"......
                            "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
                            "No...I didn't."
                            "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeBigBlue View Post
                              Favorite Weird Al parody?

I gotta go with "Smells like Nirvana"......
                              I have to go with “eat it”. The video for that is funny as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by R2Z2 View Post

I have to go with “eat it”. The video for that is funny as well.
                                It is quite good, and gets extra points for the guitar solo.
                                "No...I didn't."

Comment

Working...
                                X