This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jmike View Post

Actually, getting rid of net neutrality means less government control of the internet; so your big brother complaint doesn't make any sense. There are pluses and minuses to both sides, but ultimately it might be moot soon as most internet traffic is expected to be going wireless anyway. I'm actually already looking into getting unlimited data on my phone plan and running my home internet traffic through my phone. Both sides of the NN have good points and government control has never before resulted in more innovation and better value to the consumer. The main problem is that while eliminating regulation takes down barriers to entry it does nothing about the infastructure barrier. Soooooo..... idk what the right answer is. Claiming that 83% of the population supports something isn't really a compelling argument in its favor. The general population is on average reactionary and ill-informed (we thank you for your example of this last point).
    That's pretty short sighted of you to assume I'm being reactionary. I feel like EVERY year I've had to start having conversations with people about what "SOPA' was, or what PIPA was......anything that tries to govern the internet as anything other than an unlimited resource that we ALREADY pay for is ridiculous.

my response to news is simple....
    If ISPs want to charge you more to use some other company's service, such as Netflix, Hulu, Social Media like FB, Snapchat, twitter etc.....

I just won't use those services. Why would I want to pay twice for something I'm already a member of(such as Netflix)?
    Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Generally speaking, it might not matter. I'd guess this goes to court a few times before it becomes set in stone....but, I find it dumbfounding regardless.
      Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post

That's pretty short sighted of you to assume I'm being reactionary. I feel like EVERY year I've had to start having conversations with people about what "SOPA' was, or what PIPA was......anything that tries to govern the internet as anything other than an unlimited resource that we ALREADY pay for is ridiculous.

If ISPs want to charge you more to use some other company's service, such as Netflix, Hulu, Social Media like FB, Snapchat, twitter etc.....

I just won't use those services. Why would I want to pay twice for something I'm already a member of(such as Netflix)?
        Sorry Pizzer, my last line was just a joke, I was not serious about you being reactionary.

Comment

I assume most people will stop using them if they decided to charge more. haha If facebook starts charging Id having no problem not using it anymore.

Comment

Generally speaking, it might not matter. I'd guess this goes to court a few times before it becomes set in stone....but, I find it dumbfounding regardless.
            It really isn't dumbfounding, this has been predicted for a while now. The best I can figure based on all the information I have consumed on this subject is nobody is quite sure if getting rid of NN will ultimately be good or bad for the consumer. I wish this issue was as cut and dry as so many think but it really isn't. If I were to vote, I probably would have voted in favor of keeping it in place. I am not going to get overly upset with it going away because I am generally of the opinion that the more the government takes there hands off of things, the better off the majority of the people in this country are.

Comment

It really isn't dumbfounding, this has been predicted for a while now. The best I can figure based on all the information I have consumed on this subject is nobody is quite sure if getting rid of NN will ultimately be good or bad for the consumer. I wish this issue was as cut and dry as so many think but it really isn't. If I were to vote, I probably would have voted in favor of keeping it in place. I am not going to get overly upset with it going away because I am generally of the opinion that the more the government takes there hands off of things, the better off the majority of the people in this country are.
              Allowing ISPs to throttle bandwidth or prevent consumers altogheter from using services free or pre-paid services? Charging more to just use these services?
              How is that at all good for consumers?
              Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post

I assume most people will stop using them if they decided to charge more. haha If facebook starts charging Id having no problem not using it anymore.
                That is the thing. Facebook is a good example. This uses a ton of bandwidth for ISPs, the ISPs will start wanting to charge people extra for using facebook. Facebook knows that few people would continue to use their service if they had to pay to do so. So they work a deal with the ISP and kick some money to them to not charge the consumer the extra cost. Deals like this with some of the most popular sites like Google, Netflix, etc...will allow the ISPs to charge less or at least not increase charges as they are now getting content revenue directly from the content providers. But no one knows if this is what will happen or if the nightmare scenario of fees going up for each different service is what will happen because there currently is no competition.

It will do one thing though, the ISPs and the Content providers will be beholden to the consumer and not the government regulatory agencies; regardless of anything else, that is a good thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post

Yea....gladly.
                  Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Deals like this with some of the most popular sites like Google, Netflix, etc...will allow the ISPs to charge less or at least not increase charges as they are now getting content revenue directly from the content providers.
                    Wait....are you serious? You really think consumers will get a discount just because ISPs can get kickbacks from companies? In what world would a company not want to double dip?!

edit because I left the word "not" out....which as you could imagine, would completely negate my point haha
                    Last edited by JPizzack; Today, 05:02 PM.
                    Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Wait....are you serious? You really think consumers will get a discount just because ISPs can get kickbacks from companies? In what world would a company even want to double dip?!
                      In a world that has competition. Which is the issue here. The status quo prevents competition; the question is will the change create it? I'm not so sure. De-wad your panty hose there pizz, we will see what happens. If 83% of the people are really against this, maybe they should have paid more attention to who they were voting for beyond the 2 big names at the top.

Comment

Wait....are you serious? You really think consumers will get a discount just because ISPs can get kickbacks from companies? In what world would a company not want to double dip?!

edit because I left the word "not" out....which as you could imagine, would completely negate my point haha
                        Also, if the content providers kick back the money contingent on the ISP not charging extra for the content, they won't. Contracts are fairly specific that way doncha know.

Comment

In a world that has competition. Which is the issue here. The status quo prevents competition; the question is will the change create it? I'm not so sure. De-wad your panty hose there pizz, we will see what happens. If 83% of the people are really against this, maybe they should have paid more attention to who they were voting for beyond the 2 big names at the top.
                          There is no competition in ISPs in most of the country.
                          I cannot choose between Spectrum or Optimum.....I cant even choose Verizon in my area.
                          There are archaic municipal contracts that have been in place for years where one cable company cannot do business within the same zone as another. Maybe in larger cities where you live, you can choose. Most of us cannot.
                          Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Yea....gladly.
                            You people probably already know this, but how some people utilize Facebook is disgusting. My boss likes to lurk on people who we work with, people who come in to do work, people who put in job applications... not to see their qualifications or what quality person they are, but to see if they have a ****able daughter, funny looking mother, or dumpy looking house. Many of my co-workers join in this "entertainment". I don't have Facebook, but they dug into my wife's, to poke fun of our friends and relatives. Some of these people, I've been nice enough to have over and BBQ for them. No more.

Comment

Working...
                            X