This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: DRAFT DAY PARTY @ JAY DEE's IN CARLSTAT NJ on ROUTE 17

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"][quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"]

Well the lack of production wouldn't be accurate. We can't measure successful blocks and Boss's role in the offense run blocking. If he doesn't get better that running concept, Power G, doesn't work, and our offense totally looks like junk.

Plus mid season Burress shot himself, so you can't and don't have time to adjust. Like I said now that coaches are in offseason, you have time to address all this.
    [/quote]

it can't be measured but it can be watched, Boss was not blocking as well as I remember Shockey blocking, and he clearly was not the receiving threat Shockey was.

he was healthy though, I'll give him that.

regardless this is not a shockey vs boss discussion we've clearly run that topic into the ground...I just feel using Boss as an example for how well we can adjust to younger players in key areas is a bad example, I wasn't particularly happy with his performance last year and believe it was the rest of the team that picked up his slack...which is ok if its one position, but then add in the fact that we are missing a capable #1 WR...and things start falling apart there is only so much slack Steve Smith and Jacobs/Bradshaw the defense and Eli can pull.
    [/quote]

No, Boss wasn't as good as Shockey. But he got better this year, and it showed. The running concept needs the TE to seal the edge, and he played very well. In the playoffs during our superbowl year, he got thoroughly owned! It was a mess trying to see him block. And I would focus on him, because that's the positon I coached... TEs. So I was curious to see how he would do.

It never was a Shockey vs Boss dicussion. I brought up shockey because he was good, and then got hurt. And they saw what it was like without the run blocking shockey brought to the table. And so in the offseason we added a new running concept. Same thing this year, except now it's the passing game that has suffered. So I expect adjustments as well.
    [/quote]

yea maybe, but ur only as good as ur last year and he really upped his game last year (boss)[/quote]

Yeah Boss played well, and I wanted someone like Tony G. coming here, because I think Boss would have learned alot from one of the best TEs ever to play. That could have been a huge step in his development like it was for Osi, Tuck, and Kiwi to learn and watch Strahan play.
    [/quote]

i would of agreed wtih that if he wasn't our TE for the superbowl and then for a full season following. The mentor thing isn't effective if u give the the job then take it away from him i think. We're already pot committed on him and I think it would be a hold back in his development and this point[/quote]

Who said we have to take it away from him? We run the Ace-Double Tight set alot throughout the game. I would love to see that run with Boss and Gonzo as our TEs. Plus either one can take the safety out of the box if a team even tries to play run first. All that for a next year's second round pick? And he will be cheaper as well... That deal is a no brainer. The Falcons helped themselves big time by making that move. Also our redzone situation is helped too. Now you have a guy who lives in the endzone coming to NY and can get open. Our goal line formation can basically be then Gonzo, Boss Whimper or Gonzo Boss Mathews if we decide to go 3 TEs. There are many ways to skin a cat, and this would be one of them.

Comment

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"][quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"]

Well the lack of production wouldn't be accurate. We can't measure successful blocks and Boss's role in the offense run blocking. If he doesn't get better that running concept, Power G, doesn't work, and our offense totally looks like junk.

Plus mid season Burress shot himself, so you can't and don't have time to adjust. Like I said now that coaches are in offseason, you have time to address all this.
      [/quote]

it can't be measured but it can be watched, Boss was not blocking as well as I remember Shockey blocking, and he clearly was not the receiving threat Shockey was.

regardless this is not a shockey vs boss discussion we've clearly run that topic into the ground...I just feel using Boss as an example for how well we can adjust to younger players in key areas is a bad example, I wasn't particularly happy with his performance last year and believe it was the rest of the team that picked up his slack...which is ok if its one position, but then add in the fact that we are missing a capable #1 WR...and things start falling apart there is only so much slack Steve Smith and Jacobs/Bradshaw the defense and Eli can pull.
      [/quote]

No, Boss wasn't as good as Shockey. But he got better this year, and it showed. The running concept needs the TE to seal the edge, and he played very well. In the playoffs during our superbowl year, he got thoroughly owned! It was a mess trying to see him block. And I would focus on him, because that's the positon I coached... TEs. So I was curious to see how he would do.

It never was a Shockey vs Boss dicussion. I brought up shockey because he was good, and then got hurt. And they saw what it was like without the run blocking shockey brought to the table. And so in the offseason we added a new running concept. Same thing this year, except now it's the passing game that has suffered. So I expect adjustments as well.
      [/quote]

yea maybe, but ur only as good as ur last year and he really upped his game last year (boss)[/quote]

Yeah Boss played well, and I wanted someone like Tony G. coming here, because I think Boss would have learned alot from one of the best TEs ever to play. That could have been a huge step in his development like it was for Osi, Tuck, and Kiwi to learn and watch Strahan play.
      [/quote]

i would of agreed wtih that if he wasn't our TE for the superbowl and then for a full season following. The mentor thing isn't effective if u give the the job then take it away from him i think. We're already pot committed on him and I think it would be a hold back in his development and this point[/quote]

Who said we have to take it away from him? We run the Ace-Double Tight set alot throughout the game. I would love to see that run with Boss and Gonzo as our TEs. Plus either one can take the safety out of the box if a team even tries to play run first. All that for a next year's second round pick? And he will be cheaper as well... That deal is a no brainer. The Falcons helped themselves big time by making that move. Also our redzone situation is helped too. Now you have a guy who lives in the endzone coming to NY and can get open. Our goal line formation can basically be then Gonzo, Boss Whimper or Gonzo Boss Mathews if we decide to go 3 TEs. There are many ways to skin a cat, and this would be one of them.

Comment

[quote user="LT= Lawrence Taylor"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"]

And Plax and BE have different skill sets. [/quote]

I disagree, their skills sets are about as similar as two WR's can be imho.

[quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"]
        You're playbook doesn't get smaller. You are adding concepts remember, not just one play. You can then tag routes and change it completly. That's part of the Xs and Os of football. That's football 101 or perhaps 102.[/quote]

Plax had the ability to do everything Hixon can...and MORE..which opens up a play book.
        so does Edwards.

no rookie WR or Hixon can do that.

I understand every year you tweak the playbook because people are watching tape....but you don't have to overhaul it.

if we start using Hixon as a number one its like going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 its a HUGE difference...just to cover up for Hixon's inability to do many of the things most #1 WR's can do...instead... how about we just use one of our ridiclously large amount of pick (what 10 picks?) to get a WR we know will fit in and be able to do everything we asked Plax to do.

we have to many extra picks to not use some in trades anyhow...10 new players aren't making our starting roster.
        [/quote]

i likie the way u respond nowadays, that blue font use to be annoying as ****[/quote]

<font color="#0000ff">What's wrong with the blue font Matt? You not like?</font>
        [/quote]

uhg not the way he use to use it
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheeBloodSport/

Comment

The thing about Gonzo is that I don't think Reese was willing to trade a second round pick for a 33 year old TE. I know Gonzo is good, but I don't think Reese felt it was worth it. We didn't trade for him last year when Boss had zero production. Now Boss has shown his worth and I think he'll do fine this season.

Comment

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="LT= Lawrence Taylor"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"]

You're playbook doesn't get smaller. You are adding concepts remember, not just one play. You can then tag routes and change it completly. That's part of the Xs and Os of football. That's football 101 or perhaps 102.[/quote]

Plax had the ability to do everything Hixon can...and MORE..which opens up a play book.
            so does Edwards.

I understand every year you tweak the playbook because people are watching tape....but you don't have to overhaul it.

if we start using Hixon as a number one its like going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 its a HUGE difference...just to cover up for Hixon's inability to do many of the things most #1 WR's can do...instead... how about we just use one of our ridiclously large amount of pick (what 10 picks?) to get a WR we know will fit in and be able to do everything we asked Plax to do.

we have to many extra picks to not use some in trades anyhow...10 new players aren't making our starting roster.
            [/quote]

i likie the way u respond nowadays, that blue font use to be annoying as ****[/quote]

<font color="#0000ff">What's wrong with the blue font Matt? You not like?</font>
            [/quote]

uhg not the way he use to use it[/quote]

oh I think I know what ur talking about..

when someone asks you a bunch of questions and you answer them in blue font in the quote box...

Comment

[quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"][quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"]

Well the lack of production wouldn't be accurate. We can't measure successful blocks and Boss's role in the offense run blocking. If he doesn't get better that running concept, Power G, doesn't* work, and our offense totally looks like junk.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think putting Boss in a Darcy Johnson role would def hamper his growth.

Apparently JR was on board wtih my train of thought on the matter []

Comment

[quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"]

so does Edwards.

we have too many extra picks to not use some in trades anyhow...10 new players aren't making our starting roster.
                [/quote]

Def. not one is a think long armed WR who can basically pluck the ball out of the air. Another has great potential is more built, and has issues catching the ball. Not to mention he has soft skin. He got mad at the Browns fans for booing him and said he would not do community work in ohio anymore. Imagine if he tried pulling that stuff in this market? Plax was an idiot but a quiet one, this guy has the potential of opening his mouth if he feels hurt, and that would be suicide in this market. But in my opin they are different WRs.

The playbook doesn't open up because 1 WR is better. In fact the progressions and reads of a play can be tailored to that WR, That can happen. You can always focus in on the read for X. For a rookie WR, and Hixon, you are right you wouldn't focus it on X, but it balances it out because now you are drawing on the skills of other wrs to run the other routes within that concept. So now instead of alwayd focusing on X, you have no X, Z, Y, and H within that concept to worry about.

Let's not get meladramatic here. It's not as big of a change as going from a 4-3 to a 3-4. Hixon can be an X, but you have to change the progressions to fit his skill set. He showed he can get open, but to rely on him like we did with Plax isn't smart, especially since you can get the other WRs involved.

Trading for BE would be beyond assinine especially if we have to pay big time, and then give him a huge contract on top. That would qualify as a remote through the TV moment if we trade for him, and give up alot. Let those fools keep him if they want alot of stuff.

Comment

[quote user="LT= Lawrence Taylor"]The thing about Gonzo is that I don't think Reese was willing to trade a second round pick for a 33 year old TE. I know Gonzo is good, but I don't think Reese felt it was worth it. We didn't trade for him last year when Boss had zero production. Now Boss has shown his worth and I think he'll do fine this season.
                  [/quote]

hes 36 or 37

Comment

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"]

Apparently JR was on board wtih my train of thought on the matter [][/quote]

Gotta agree, DJ is a pretty nice pass catching TE, now if he can just work on his blocking he's on his way to be a day in and day out piece of our Offensive puzzle.... Hell we did it with Shockey and Boss, why not Johnson next
                    Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

WOW, finally some real football talk for the first time in for-ev-er........ i like[]

Comment

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="LT= Lawrence Taylor"]The thing about Gonzo is that I don't think Reese was willing to trade a second round pick for a 33 year old TE. I know Gonzo is good, but I don't think Reese felt it was worth it. We didn't trade for him last year when Boss had zero production. Now Boss has shown his worth and I think he'll do fine this season.
                        [/quote]

hes 36 or 37[/quote]
                        Joe Louis had come out of retirement to fight Rocky Marciano and he was
                        seventy six years old. Joe Louis is always lying about his age. He lie
                        about his age all the time. One time Frank Sinatra came in here and sat
                        in this chair. I said Frank 'you hang out with Joe Louis, just between
                        me and you, how old is Joe Louis.' You know what Frank told me, he said
                        "Hey, Joe Louis is 137 years old." A hundred and thirty-seven years old!

Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Comment

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"][quote user="DavenIII"][quote user="Shockey+Manning=Shocking"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Apparently JR was on board wtih my train of thought on the matter [][/quote]

Perhaps, or too busy with this drama to worry about bargaining with Scott Pioli. Why fight a two front war when you can focus in on winning the one against a rookie GM.

Plus i find it interesting that all these Pats GMs, are all trading among themselves.. Pioli with Thomas Ditroff, and then Cassel to KC, so Pats GM to Pioli. And now there are talks of Dorsey DT from KC going to Atlanta again.. So interesting to see all these Pats GM management tree guys all playing among themselves.

Comment

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"]
                            uhg not the way he use to use it[/quote]

I'm just lazy now.

Comment

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="LT= Lawrence Taylor"]The thing about Gonzo is that I don't think Reese was willing to trade a second round pick for a 33 year old TE. I know Gonzo is good, but I don't think Reese felt it was worth it. We didn't trade for him last year when Boss had zero production. Now Boss has shown his worth and I think he'll do fine this season.
                              [/quote]

hes 36 or 37[/quote]

Date of birth: February 27, 1976 <span style="display: none;">(<span class="bday">1976-02-27</span>)</span> <span class="noprint">(age33)
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Gonzalez_(tight_end)

</span>
                              <div style="background-image: url(http://static.nfl.com/static/site/img/sr_pic0.gif);" id="headshotSpan">
                              <div class="divphoto">

</div>
                              </div>
                              <div id="divstats">

<p class="bold">
                              Tony Gonzalez

| #
                              | TE

</p>

Atlanta Falcons | Official Team Site</p>

Height: 6-5
                              Weight: 251

</p>

Born:
                              2/27/1976
                              Torrance
                              CA

</p>

College: California</p>

Experience: 13th season </p>

High School: Huntington Beach HS [CA]</p>

</div>

Comment

I am tired, and could use happy hour now.. To talk football and just relax. Anyone been to Atlanta? Is it a nice city?

Comment

Working...
                                X