This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: THEE SWAG THREAD

[quote user="lawl"][quote user="jmike"][quote user="lawl"][quote user="allentown PA"][quote user="jmike"][quote user="allentown PA"][quote user="lawl"][quote user="allentown PA"][quote user="jmike"][quote user="allentown PA"][quote user="jmike"][quote user="allentown PA"][quote user="jmike"]New Mexico costs in 2006 $2.5 billion, revenue including alcohol taxes $97 million.[/quote] question...since u dont seem to ever answer the question directly...Do u think the drunk driving laws are set with our well being in mind?[/quote]In mind? Yes. Are they effective? Mostly no. But I can say with confidense they weren't made with profits in mind and I'm the biggest cynic when it comes to our gov't I know.[/quote] come on now...u cant be serious...why not adopt england's law...they do a fine job...if we were really concerned with the safety of our citizens why not that?[/quote]I never argued that their laws on the subject aren't better, they are. I just said that our gov't isn't turning a profit on it.[/quote] but ur missing my point and that is that our drunk driving laws are not completly designed with out safety at mind..money has a lot to do with it. If it was all about safety then we would have stiffer penalties.[/quote] You are making a huge assumption. Maybe the laws aren't as strict because our government believes in second chances and that the current DUI policy is enough of a balance between being a deterrent and not completely ruining your life. Of course, it could be about money.[/quote] thats a really good point u made...But I think we can all agree that drunk driving is a bad thing..and yes people make mistakes but that is a very serious mistake imo and should be punished strictly. I think anyone who has lost someone due to a drunk driver would agree with me....I think stricter rules would cut the dui count down big time.[/quote] Who said stiffer penalties would be a bad thing? Nobody is arguing that. If I were making the law it would be mandatory 5 years andpermanent loss of license.[/quote]

The law is set up to stop the act of drunk driving correct??? We all agree that this is a serious offense...my question remains...If cutting down on drunk driving is the goal with the law then why such a laxed one???[/quote]

What you're trying to argue can be applied to every law.<font size="4"> Life in prison isn't enough of a deterrent to murder someone? Ok well let's make it automatic death sentence.</font>

Speeding tickets are used to prevent speeding, but everyone speeds so let's make the law automatic year suspension of license.

The punishment for DUI is what they deem enough to be fair and enough of a deterrent. It's not because they aren't interested in safety.[/quote]

The death penalty is not a deterrent at all. People commit murder for one of three reasons 1-profit, 2-passion and 3-compulsion.

1-profit: A person killing for profit is a professional and does not believe he will get caught so nothing is a deterrent.

2-passion: A crime of passion is just that, you don't stop to think about the potential consequences of your actions, you just act.

3-compulsion: If a person has a need to kill no deterrent will effectively prevent that.

Punishment for murder is just that, punishment, there is no real way to deter it.
    [/quote]

This is besides the point, but thanks for the tidbit.

That's not sarcasm, if it seems that way[/quote]You're welcome, but it isn't really besides the point. Sometimes (like in the case of murder) an increase in punishment for the crime does not work as a deterrent. Sometimes it does. In the case of drunk driving, I believe it would. Because unlike murder for reasons stated above and stealing which mostly is done out of desperation or as a profession (again no use as a deterrent) most drunk drivers are otherwise law abiding citizens. If the punishments were severe enough more people would think about alternate plans before they go out to drink. So in this instance, an increased punishment would have a positive impact; how much is debatable.

Comment

<FONT size=6>102</FONT>
      Deny everything. Admit nothing. Make counter accusations.

Comment

BTW, I don't want any stinking trades this week. I don't want Carlos Beltran or any of the other names being thrown around. Josh Reddick is good with me at right field. We gave up a lot of prospects in the Gonzo trade.</P>

My team is on the field. We just need to get Clay Buchholtz healthy by September.</P>

Comment

WOooohooo looks like players will sign today..

Comment

That's good news! I had some football talk yesterday. Was good to have it for a change without having to talk about the lockout, or fantasy football or any of that BS.
            Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

[quote user="JPizzack"]That's good news! I had some football talk yesterday. Was good to have it for a change without having to talk about the lockout, or fantasy football or any of that BS.[/quote]NFL should start the wheels in motion very soon. It's about time. The owner's ratified a 10 year cba. That's 10 years before we have to go thru this again.

Comment

The tagf caption this pic thread on Jerry Jone's and John Mara is pretty hilarious for a Monday morning.

Comment

If you don't pay your exorcist.....do you get reposessed?!
                  Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

[quote user="JPizzack"]That's good news! I had some football talk yesterday. Was good to have it for a change without having to talk about the lockout, or fantasy football or any of that BS.[/quote]</P>

One report has players being able to be signed as early as today. Two others say not until Friday.</P>

Point is that no one really knows.</P>

Comment

[quote user="JPizzack"]If you don't pay your exorcist.....do you get reposessed?![/quote]Lol

Comment

Comment

Very successful debut for "Old Guns" on Friday night.</P>

</P>

Comment

This is the bomb that nutcase in Norway set off before he individually murdered @ 100 kids on a camp island.

Comment

I love when people put captions on stock photos, there was one i saw recently where I concerned father was in the background, and he's watching his 14 year old daughter talking on her cell phone, and the text says "Oh god.....she talking about ****! i know it!"
                                lol
                                Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

Working...
                                X