This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
    He's a very good QB who's had a nice career. He's looked great at times and absolutely horrible at times. He's only been to one pro bowl and that was as a 3rd stringer. He's just not great yet. All you guys talk about how he'll accumulate enough stats but he hasn't yet. He's won 2 SB's and that a huge plus on his side of the ledger. But intil last season he wasn't even considered as a guy in the top 6 or 7 in the league. Right now I put him at 5 behind Brady, Peyton, Brees and Rodgers. And thats coming off his best season by far.
    The guy has been clutch but he's also be horrible. He had two of the worst playoff games that a QB has ever had at home.
    I'm sure he's on his way, but not if he doesn't maintain the very high standard he set last season. If he returns to "pretty good" I don't think thats good enough.
    "Absolutely horrible at times."The last time i remember him playing "absolutely horrible" was against Min with all the pick 6's. 08 playoff game vs eagles was pretty bad too. His really bad games are few and far between MH.

Comment

• we just weight things differently I suppose MH.

I'm looking at it like this, suppose you need 100pts to get into the HOF.

great statistics like last season will give you say 10pts towards the Hall, that's how guys like Marino got in, they have 10+ seasons like that and have records as well it puts them over 100.

but I also see Super bowls wins as HUGE contributors...there are some "ok" QB's that won SB's an that's what put them over the top that are in the HOF.

a SB win and MVP to me would be worth say 40 pts....eli has TWO that puts him at 80pts purely on the fact that he has SB wins and MVPs.

Give him another 5 for the pro bowl appearance, give him another 10 for last years statistics.....and the two years before that were also pretty damn good years in my opinion even though you disagree...(because of the int's one year, which I'm sorry but...everyone knows they weren't on him) I'm gonna give him 5 for the two years before that.

he's already in.

throw in the fact that he spoiled a perfect season, that he's been clutch to the point of legend.... like Elway maybe even better then him, over his career thus far.

I'm sorry Morehead, I just can't agree with you, you are down playing everything he's done outside of the superbowl wins and ALSO not giving him the credit he's due for those.

I'm not being homerish I'm being objective you are reacting to people who are calling Eli the best QB ever and have turned against Eli, you don't look at it objectively I honestly believe if Eli was playing for another team you would be calling him a HOF...but because you have to deal with blowhards here jumping on his **** you've taken the other side just because you think someone has to.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
        Agreed. The only thing Elis gotten better at is leading and the way he carries himself. After 09 it really seemed like he took the Giants reins. I remember seeing him yell at either bradshaw or manningham and laughing to myself "who the hell is this guy". Also I believe elis and tucks no nonsense, all business approach is contagious, especially now that theyre champions once again.
        if the end of last season "the all in mentality" that **** was real carries over they are going to be hard to beat .....I think BJ played a big part in the teams mentally down the stretch his loss could hurt us ... I can't wait man !
        Last edited by byron; 08-08-2012, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavenIII View Post
          we just weight things differently I suppose MH.

great statistics like last season will give you say 10pts towards the Hall, that's how guys like Marino got in, they have 10+ seasons like that and have records as well it puts them over 100.

but I also see Super bowls wins as HUGE contributors...there are some "ok" QB's that won SB's an that's what put them over the top that are in the HOF.

a SB win and MVP to me would be worth say 40 pts....eli has TWO that puts him at 80pts purely on the fact that he has SB wins and MVPs.

Give him another 5 for the pro bowl appearance, give him another 10 for last years statistics.....and the two years before that were also pretty damn good years in my opinion even though you disagree...(because of the int's one year, which I'm sorry but...everyone knows they weren't on him) I'm gonna give him 5 for the two years before that.

he's already in.

throw in the fact that he spoiled a perfect season, that he's been clutch to the point of legend.... like Elway maybe even better then him, over his career thus far.

I'm sorry Morehead, I just can't agree with you, you are down playing everything he's done outside of the superbowl wins and ALSO not giving him the credit he's due for those.

I'm not being homerish I'm being objective you are reacting to people who are calling Eli the best QB ever and have turned against Eli, you don't look at it objectively I honestly believe if Eli was playing for another team you would be calling him a HOF...but because you have to deal with blowhards here jumping on his **** you've taken the other side just because you think someone has to.
          and the ground he's standing on is slowly sinking into the sea of Eli !!!...

Comment

we just weight things differently I suppose MH.

he's already in.

The second SB he gets all the credit in the world for for me. He was the best player on the team and played great. The first SB season he played pretty badly for a lot of the season, including the MN game that Dez mentioned (I believe that was 07) and that horrific Buffalo game where KG would let him pass on third and long because he was so horrible that day. His playoff run was compitent in that he protected the ball which is the most important thing at the time. His productivity other wise was right around his average. (220 yards/game, 1,5 TD's per game). Tuck was the real MVP in that SB.
            So in my view he's had one great season. He was 4th in passing. Probably deserved a pro bowl. But other than that he's just been "very good". If he continues to play like he did last season, he's gunna be a HOF'r. No doubt about it. But lets see it.
            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

The second SB he gets all the credit in the world for for me. He was the best player on the team and played great. The first SB season he played pretty badly for a lot of the season, including the MN game that Dez mentioned (I believe that was 07) and that horrific Buffalo game where KG would let him pass on third and long because he was so horrible that day. His playoff run was compitent in that he protected the ball which is the most important thing at the time. His productivity other wise was right around his average. (220 yards/game, 1,5 TD's per game). Tuck was the real MVP in that SB.
              So in my view he's had one great season. He was 4th in passing. Probably deserved a pro bowl. But other than that he's just been "very good". If he continues to play like he did last season, he's gunna be a HOF'r. No doubt about it. But lets see it.
              Oh and by the way Daven, by your standards Jim Plunkett is a HOF'r. Your "point system" is off base. I think the Hall has to be reserved for great players. Is Eli great? I don't know. Even if he is, he has to be for longer than 1 season.

Comment

Yes he had two bad games that season, every great QB (including his brother) has bad games...and I'll even give you that Eli's bad games are sometimes worse then other QB's bad games...when he loses it...he REALLY loses it.

but the first SB he took our team down the field and scored the winning TD with seconds left, sure our defense held an explosive offense to minimal scoring to put him into that position....but once in that position he did what many...in fact MOST other QB's would not be able to do, he deserves a TON of credit for the first superbowl...perhaps more for the second....but he is a MAJOR reason we won the first one also.

Comment

Oh and by the way Daven, by your standards Jim Plunkett is a HOF'r. Your "point system" is off base. I think the Hall has to be reserved for great players. Is Eli great? I don't know. Even if he is, he has to be for longer than 1 season.
                  Is Namath HOF worthy??

Comment

No I don't think he would, was plunkett a 2 Time Super Bowl MVP? no .... 1 time yes, and like Trent Dilfer...he was not very good outside of that.

Eli's been VERY good (if not great) for 3 years straight statistically in my opinion, on top of that he's ALSO got 2 Super Bowl MVP's.

you ask the question...

Is Eli great?

the answer is ALREADY....a resounding yes...anything he does from here on out is just extra, Eli is already a HOF calibur QB even if he stops right now.

Comment

Is Namath HOF worthy??
                      I would say yes probably, the magnitude and the historical value of that super bowl he won weights a lot into it.

Comment

Is Namath HOF worthy??
                        He's one of those guys who got in like Gail Sayers. They were truly great but were either hampered or had their careers cut short. I think the fact that he almost personally changed the NFL forever by bringing about the merger, plus his incredible talent got him in.

Its another example that stats aren't the determining factor for the Hall like they are in baseball. Great players get in and very good players don't, no matter what the stats.

If it was just stats, then Vinny Testeverde, Kerry Collins nad Steve Deberg would get to the Hall.

Comment

• oh my what did I do...

Comment

Is Namath HOF worthy??
                            is that rhetorical? lol...

No.....
                            he had 1 really good season, and overall, a rather low completion % as a QB, significantly worse INT seasons than Eli, a sub .500 winning record, and only had 130 career starts despite a 12 year career. I dont think he fits into the "Great QB" discussion personally.
                            It's just that people get caught up in this cindarella story that happens always in the NFL...i mean, techincally we did the crazy underdog thing twice...lol
                            Last edited by JPizzack; 08-08-2012, 03:06 PM.
                            Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

I would say yes probably, the magnitude and the historical value of that super bowl he won weights a lot into it.
                              True and I agree with you but if you put Namath on the Jets now, him and Tebow would be fighting for the back up job.

Which brings me to my point. Now there was really no historical value (besides beating a 18-0 team) with Elis 2 superbowls BUT has there ever been a qb in the NFL that has been more clutch, reliable, dependable ect. with championship games(or any other games) on the line, than Eli Manning? He not only came through once but twice in two of the most critical moments.

Comment

• Originally posted by byron View Post
                                oh my what did I do...
                                You jump started thee thread. You should be PROUD!

Comment

Working...
                                X