This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
    So what if they hold records, like the color of their skin is the reason they break the old record. You know who broke Babe Ruths hr season record? A skinny white guy named Roger Marris. And Hank broke his all time HR. A great ball player is a great ball player......

Whos to say Babe would have had more HRs if he was facing black pitchers....

I hate when people inject race into the reason why people perform better than others.
    jeez dezz...... it has nothing to do with black pitchers....

it has to do with the level of competition Ruth and others played alongside in those days.

It's like....the olympic basketball team, kinda. we always had american pros, but always used amatuers/collegiates prior to 92 in the olympics.
    If other countries were using their pros, why wouldnt we? just because we had the best athletes.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• And it's not just about race either, Dezz. it's about sample size.
      Let's take the best HR hitters of the past 20 years or so...
      Let's say Mcgwire, Griffey, Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod, etc....you think if they played in the 1920s-30s with the same statistics, that anyone would still think Babe Ruth would have been as dominant in his era? or would it have been more spread out like it is nowadays?
      Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• one thing worht mentioning is that Babe Ruth was a smoking, drunken fat slob.....

The fact that he was able to excell at anything speaks volumes of his ability. lmao
        Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
          jeez dezz...... it has nothing to do with black pitchers....

it has to do with the level of competition Ruth and others played alongside in those days.

It's like....the olympic basketball team, kinda. we always had american pros, but always used amatuers/collegiates prior to 92 in the olympics.
          If other countries were using their pros, why wouldnt we? just because we had the best athletes.
          And Im saying the level of competition wouldnt have dramatically changed the game like you are suggesting. Its not like when segregation in baseball ended aas started to flood the league. It makes no sense

Comment

And it's not just about race either, Dezz. it's about sample size.
            Let's take the best HR hitters of the past 20 years or so...
            Let's say Mcgwire, Griffey, Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod, etc....you think if they played in the 1920s-30s with the same statistics, that anyone would still think Babe Ruth would have been as dominant in his era? or would it have been more spread out like it is nowadays?
            THEY ALL ROIDED!! cept jr. COME ON PIZZLE!

Comment

That went over my head.... where did you see 12%?
              This is what happens where you join the middle of a conversation and fail to understand what everybody's talking about.
              Chalk it up to my A.D.D.
              Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

And Im saying the level of competition wouldnt have dramatically changed the game like you are suggesting. Its not like when segregation in baseball ended aas started to flood the league. It makes no sense
                I'm sorry dezz, i just feel youre missing the point. lol
                If baseball would have always been desegregated, black & hispanic athletes could definitely have had a MUCH bigger impact than what you see in the record books.
                Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

THEY ALL ROIDED!! cept jr. COME ON PIZZLE!
                  Jr. is my favorite player of all time, hands down...and damn right! lol
                  roids were around back then...never know what would have been different. things being different is pretty much the whole point of the argument lol
                  Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• It's a pointless comparison, everyone is bigger and stronger now compared to the 1920's you bring even run of the mill players from now back to then and they would put up numbers that are silly ridiculous.

Comment

And it's not just about race either, Dezz. it's about sample size. <br>
                      Let's take the best HR hitters of the past 20 years or so...<br>
                      Let's say <u>Mcgwire, Griffey, Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod,</u> etc....you think if they played in the 1920s-30s with the same statistics, that anyone would still think Babe Ruth would have been as dominant in his era? or would it have been more spread out like it is nowadays?
                      And why wouldnt he still be as dominate if they played in his day? If Granderson hits 40 hr, it has no effect batista will hit 40. Babe competed against Gerhig( one of the best hitters ever) every game.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavenIII View Post
                        It's a pointless comparison, everyone is bigger and stronger now compared to the 1920's you bring even run of the mill players from now back to then and they would put up numbers that are silly ridiculous.
                        sure....and whether you want to bring race into it or not to avoid awkward or politically correct conversation (which clearly i dont give a **** about lol), black players are better athletes 95% of the time. Just so happens that nowadays they all get into football and basketball, so they have a much smaller pop in baseball.
                        Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• I like that we're at least having a sports conversation in here for once as opposed to this stupid fantasy football league lol...

But don't write off my points so easily! It's an interesting thought to see how our all-time statistics in sports could have been....at least interesting to me...
                          Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

sure....and whether you want to bring race into it or not to avoid awkward or politically correct conversation (which clearly i dont give a **** about lol), black players are better athletes 95% of the time. Just so happens that nowadays they all get into football and basketball, so they have a much smaller pop in baseball.
                            I don't know if I agree with that 100%, I think football and basketball lend themselves to what African Americans? are better at, I think in baseball their particular skill set doesn't benefit them as greatly.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavenIII View Post
                              I don't know if I agree with that 100%, I think football and basketball lend themselves to what African Americans? are better at, I think in baseball their particular skill set doesn't benefit them as greatly.
                              it's possible. the numbers have declined over the past decade in a half i guess. not that it was ever a huge % of players or anything.
                              Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• So am I gonna be able to watch the redzone channel on my cable vision now? I have like some premium package...I think this is gonna be awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X