Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THEE NYG SWAG THREAD

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
    all punk is trash
    youre the WORST!!!
    Oderint Dum Metuant

    It's too bad, I'm too good....

    Comment


    • Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
      all punk is trash
      Not really.
      But REAL punk came from NYC in the mid-late seventies and then migrated to London.
      There are particular characteristics that make punk......punk.
      1. Its anti-social lyrics
      2. Its very fast pace in playing style
      3. The general angry attitude.

      I know a lot of bands like to call themselves "punk" because it sounds cool to say that about themselves. And there are little Pizzlesticks running around who want to believe it. But usually those bands are full of ****.

      Social Distortion (who I like a lot) ISN'T punk. They just claimed to be.
      Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
        no I definitely agree that this is where it originated. Things change though.....that exact type of music doesnt exist anymore, so the definition has changed. they spawn a style of music. From punk originated hardcore, like Black Flag, and Bad brains. it was still punk though....and eventually it just became more pop in the 90s. different SOUND, same style of play, and DEFINITELY cleaner sound lol
        Yes but once punk becomes pop-punk. It stops being punk. A musical style can evolve to the point where it no longer becomes that musical style.

        Punk (by definition) is anti-pop. Its a revolt against the norm.
        "Pop-Punk" is a label that some record company exec. came up with so little 12 year old Pizzlestick will tell Mommy to buy him a record. And ACTUALLY think he's listening to punk.
        Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

        Comment


        • I'm not even into music anymore.

          I really still like the older alternative stuff when I was a kidL

          Linkin Park, blink-182.

          I'm starting to like Mumford and Sons, AWOLNATION, Imagine Dragons is pretty good to me too.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
            Not really.
            But REAL punk came from NYC in the mid-late seventies and then migrated to London.
            There are particular characteristics that make punk......punk.
            1. Its anti-social lyrics
            2. Its very fast pace in playing style
            3. The general angry attitude.

            I know a lot of bands like to call themselves "punk" because it sounds cool to say that about themselves. And there are little Pizzlesticks running around who want to believe it. But usually those bands are full of ****.

            Social Distortion (who I like a lot) ISN'T punk. They just claimed to be.
            my point to you has always been: that exact type of music doesn't exist anymore. nobody makes music that sounds like the sex pistol, because it wouldnt sell today. all the early 80s punk evolved to what it is today. so while it may not be punk to our shared definition (btw, i agree with all your bullet points), thats what it is these days.

            since everyone tries to be so "unique" (yea right), there are so many sub genres that people created.
            emo, screamo, powerpop, popcore, easycore, post-hardcore, and like 20 other names......but they all were influenced by the original punk sound. THATS my point.
            Oderint Dum Metuant

            It's too bad, I'm too good....

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
              Yes but once punk becomes pop-punk. It stops being punk. A musical style can evolve to the point where it no longer becomes that musical style.

              Punk (by definition) is anti-pop. Its a revolt against the norm.
              "Pop-Punk" is a label that some record company exec. came up with so little 12 year old Pizzlestick will tell Mommy to buy him a record. And ACTUALLY think he's listening to punk.
              lmao

              while I agree with that anti-pop statement....lets be honest...there was nobody who DIDNT know the Sex Pistols....pop=popular. so even the originators were pop. lol
              Oderint Dum Metuant

              It's too bad, I'm too good....

              Comment


              • Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
                my point to you has always been: that exact type of music doesn't exist anymore. nobody makes music that sounds like the sex pistol, because it wouldnt sell today. all the early 80s punk evolved to what it is today. so while it may not be punk to our shared definition (btw, i agree with all your bullet points), thats what it is these days.

                since everyone tries to be so "unique" (yea right), there are so many sub genres that people created.
                emo, screamo, powerpop, popcore, easycore, post-hardcore, and like 20 other names......but they all were influenced by the original punk sound. THATS my point.

                You have to understand Pizz, all the genres and sub-genre's mean nothing. They are attempts to huddle the masses into these little compartments. They reduce music and musicians in neat packages to make their marketing easier.

                You are the victim of the manipulation of these huge record companies. I'm shocked you could be so easily controlled.
                Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                Comment


                • You music elitists are worse than movie/film elitists.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Moke View Post
                    You music elitists are worse than movie/film elitists.
                    By your definition, I'm probably one of those as well.

                    BTW...How do you define "music elitist"?
                    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                      You have to understand Pizz, all the genres and sub-genre's mean nothing. They are attempts to huddle the masses into these little compartments. They reduce music and musicians in neat packages to make their marketing easier.

                      You are the victim of the manipulation of these huge record companies. I'm shocked you could be so easily controlled.
                      HAHAHAHAHA

                      I use them in my head in order to have these conversations, actually....lol

                      I call it all punk =P

                      It's funny that you called me controlled and manipulated by record labels lol......I havent *purchased* any music in almost 10 years.
                      Oderint Dum Metuant

                      It's too bad, I'm too good....

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Moke View Post
                        You music elitists are worse than movie/film elitists.
                        don't listen to MH, he's an elitist about everything he discusses lol
                        Oderint Dum Metuant

                        It's too bad, I'm too good....

                        Comment


                        • Green Day was dead when they kept on using essentially identical chord progressions in their songs. They had a sound and just kept on recycling it. They didn't use it masterfully like the Beatles did and keep it fresh and different, whilst still keeping the unique signature sound that made them such a good group.


                          Don't get me started on how badly Nickleback does this lol. they don't even try and hide how all their songs sound the same.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
                            HAHAHAHAHA

                            I use them in my head in order to have these conversations, actually....lol

                            I call it all punk =P

                            It's funny that you called me controlled and manipulated by record labels lol......I havent *purchased* any music in almost 10 years.
                            I was just being a "Morehead" with that comment.

                            You haven't bought anything for your ipod?
                            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Rusty192 View Post
                              Green Day was dead when they kept on using essentially identical chord progressions in their songs. They had a sound and just kept on recycling it. They didn't use it masterfully like the Beatles did and keep it fresh and different, whilst still keeping the unique signature sound that made them such a good group.


                              Don't get me started on how badly Nickleback does this lol. they don't even try and hide how all their songs sound the same.
                              And what progression is that?
                              Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
                                By your definition, I'm probably one of those as well.

                                BTW...How do you define "music elitist"?
                                One who goes over the top when discussing music. Everything needs to be analyzed, almost everything. Even if the music is bad but entertaining, you'll (rhetorical) still have a problem with it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X