Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
    I'm with you on that. Plus the LP's are SO heavy. I have 2 PRS's as well. An SE semi hollow and a Santana SE. these guitars are friggin great. Feel like Strats and are unbelievably light.
    Love PRS. I have only played one that was my buddy's, but I loved it. It was super light also which is what I look for in a guitar. Strats aren't the lightest guitars but it just feels like they were molded for my hands when I play one.

I have an Ibanez S470 which I bought years ago to play metal shredding stuff when I'm just messing around with sweep picking, pinch harmonics, etc and that is the lightest guitar I own, plus the super thin wizard neck makes it really fun to play.

My favorite guitar I own is definitely my Mexican Strat. I got it when I was 12 years old ( now 26 ) and it's been my baby forever. Added 2 Seymour Duncan pickups (humbucker on the bridge) and it sounds great. I also love my Martin 00CXAE Grand Concert. The lightest and most playable acoustic I've ever held.

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

Comment

I think Gibson LP's are too expensive. The Epi LP's can be almost as good. But just like Mexican Strats, you have to play them because they are inconsistent. But when you get a good Epi Les Paul for $500.00, it's well worth it.
      Yeah, I agree they are expensive, but the sound is excellent IMO. Fender's are alright..
      Last edited by Rudy; 03-27-2013, 04:56 PM.
      Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantz4Life View Post
        Strats > Les PaulsYeah I'm a Fender guy first and foremost, but I have played a few Les Pauls and I hate the necks on them. The Stratocaster was a gift from the music gods.
        Ehhh..not with you on that one. Strats are kinda overrated to me, sound wise.

Comment

• I currently play a steel bass acoustic. It sounds awesome but it hurts like hell to play :/

Comment

Love PRS. I have only played one that was my buddy's, but I loved it. It was super light also which is what I look for in a guitar. Strats aren't the lightest guitars but it just feels like they were molded for my hands when I play one.

I have an Ibanez S470 which I bought years ago to play metal shredding stuff when I'm just messing around with sweep picking, pinch harmonics, etc and that is the lightest guitar I own, plus the super thin wizard neck makes it really fun to play.

My favorite guitar I own is definitely my Mexican Strat. I got it when I was 12 years old ( now 26 ) and it's been my baby forever. Added 2 Seymour Duncan pickups (humbucker on the bridge) and it sounds great. I also love my Martin 00CXAE Grand Concert. The lightest and most playable acoustic I've ever held.
            My #1 guitar is my Mexican Strat. Its a fat Strat with only two knobs. One tone and one volume. Its the only Strat I've ever seen without three knobs.
            I put a Pearly Gates PU on the bridge so I get the benefit of a hot Humbucker and I still get that great single coil neck PU sound.
            Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
              You can make a Strat sound like most anything. You can't make a LP sound like a Strat.
              Strats are "feel" guitars. especially with a maple fingerboard. I don't like Rosewood on a Strat. Nothing is better for bending strings than maple.

Comment

I think Gibson LP's are too expensive. The Epi LP's can be almost as good. But just like Mexican Strats, you have to play them because they are inconsistent. But when you get a good Epi Les Paul for $500.00, it's well worth it.
                Yeah... Lp's are expensive "they have some wood in them" which give them their rich sound...Epi Lp's... I'm glad you said almost as good...almost only counts in horseshoes... no comparison and an insult to Gibson guitars ... imo.... rhythm may well be easier than playing lead...but I'm not sure its all that easy ..some people have no sence of rhythm at all and probably couldn't play a juice hard if their life depended on it .....anyhow I may be bias I owned and played a LP for ten years ....played rhythm buy the way and loved it ....

I payed 500.00 for that LP in 75...and it was used, year old at the time
                Last edited by byron; 03-27-2013, 05:32 PM.

Comment

You can make a Strat sound like most anything. You can't make a LP sound like a Strat.
                  Strats are "feel" guitars. especially with a maple fingerboard. I don't like Rosewood on a Strat. Nothing is better for bending strings than maple.
                  I agree...and that is as it should be no....all guitars aren't created to be equals.....just saying

Comment

• Originally posted by byron View Post
                    I agree...and that is as it should be no....all guitars aren't created to be equals.....just saying
                    yeah...guitars are just like women. We all have our personal taste.

Comment

I currently play a steel bass acoustic. It sounds awesome but it hurts like hell to play :/
                      yeah open wound stings probably

Comment

Guitarists who prefer a Strat over anything else:

Hendrix
                        SRV
                        Clapton (originally a Gibson guy who became a Strat man in the 60's)
                        David Gilmour of Pink Floyd
                        Eric Johnson

and your boy Johnny Mayer.

The Stratocaster helped define popular rock music today as we know it. Not hating on Gibson because I think they are great guitars, just not for me. Although I think the Gibson SG looks bad ***.

Comment

I currently play a steel bass acoustic. It sounds awesome but it hurts like hell to play :/
                          You have to develop calluses first. Then you can call yourself a bass player

Comment

Perfectly said MH. Couldn't agree more.

The Strat and the LP are both icons, but the part about the Strat being a "feel" guitar is perfectly explained.

Comment

Guitarists who prefer a Strat over anything else:HendrixSRVClapton (originally a Gibson guy who became a Strat man in the 60's)David Gilmour of Pink FloydEric Johnsonand your boy Johnny Mayer.The Stratocaster helped define popular rock music today as we know it. Not hating on Gibson because I think they are great guitars, just not for me. Although I think the Gibson SG looks bad ***.
                              I know. I don't HATE them, but I prefer GLP's.

Comment

You have to develop calluses first. Then you can call yourself a bass player
                                I have calluses though! I'll just deal with it. I almost switched to nylon but it wouldn't sound the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X