The Freaking Lounge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moke View Post
    Well, they actually have a ****ing iHop... something Brooklyn doesn't have I believe. They have a lot of ****, it's just a ****ty borough because of tolls and traveling.
    Good Jesus, Brooklyn doesn't have a iHop??
    Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Not near me at least. Might have one in Long Island if one considers that Brooklyn.

****, I'm so not motivated to do homework.

Comment

@Drez

My mom does the shopping and she's a saver, saver, saver. she says she hates costco because she feels like she spends a ****load for no reason.

And my date is NOT AN ELEPHANT.
        Well, Costco and places like that are traps for impulse buys, and seeing as you're buying in bulk if you don't watch out you can spend way more than you need. I just tend to buy the things I know I use a lot of there, and it saves me a ton, especially on meats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
          Ha..
          I love learning but I hate school..I'm not a great student by any means. I'm not terrible..like..B's..C's..maybe an A? I try really hard, but it's..just not for me. I'm more of a hands on person. I do encourage people to get an education, and for my profession I absolutely need one but eh..multiple choice tests don't benefit me in the long run IMO. I want to do things that will actually prepare me later on in life.
          I abhor the way most assessments are carried out.

Comment

• I agree with Rudy, I am the same way. I can't stand some exams. Like my corporate finance exams don't do anything. All this crap you need to know is great and all, but in the end you're only doing math problems to hide the conceptual **** that you actually need to know.

And the professor never teaches it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drez View Post
              I abhor the way most assessments are carried out.
              As do I.

I actually wrote 6 page research paper in my first year of college on why the SAT's should be abolished.

Comment

I agree with Rudy, I am the same way. I can't stand some exams. Like my corporate finance exams don't do anything. All this crap you need to know is great and all, but in the end you're only doing math problems to hide the conceptual **** that you actually need to know.

And the professor never teaches it.
                Right.

You stay up studying for 5 hours a night because you are required, not because you want to or enjoy doing so. Most of the information is useless anyway.
                That is why I like courses like Psychology and History, because we don't have a lot of homework, we learn and observe.

A lot of my friends are taking semesters off, and traveling, which I am certainly jealous of.

Comment

• We need to be worried about how to write more papers IMO. The more research we do and the more reading and writing we do, the better we will become as intellects IMO. I know writing long papers are annoying, but when you're doing research on stuff that you're studying, it really helps.

Most people can study accounting and tax laws and all that stuff, but most likely they'll forget it.

The real question is whether or not that student understands reading business-related articles, especially on accounting.

I know people who are taking finance who never read the financial papers and have no idea what's really going on.

We need more papers IMO, it leads to more research.

Comment

We need to be worried about how to write more papers IMO. The more research we do and the more reading and writing we do, the better we will become as intellects IMO. I know writing long papers are annoying, but when you're doing research on stuff that you're studying, it really helps.

Most people can study accounting and tax laws and all that stuff, but most likely they'll forget it.

The real question is whether or not that student understands reading business-related articles, especially on accounting.

I know people who are taking finance who never read the financial papers and have no idea what's really going on.

You bring up a good point as well. Papers can be annoying, but in the long run, they help you better understand the material.

In my Developmental Psych class, you were required to study a child at a certain age, observe them, and WRITE about what you see and analyze it. And we still got tested, but guess what? More people did better on the tests because they knew what the hell the teacher was teaching about, because they observed with their own eyes and analyzed the child or teenager. Not just try to memorize terms and show up to class.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                      You bring up a good point as well. Papers can be annoying, but in the long run, they help you better understand the material.

In my Developmental Psych class, you were required to study a child at a certain age, observe them, and WRITE about what you see and analyze it. And we still got tested, but guess what? More people did better on the tests because they knew what the hell the teacher was teaching about, because they observed with their own eyes and analyzed the child or teenager. Not just try to memorize terms and show up to class.
                      I agree, tests should focus more on critical thinking than regurgitation. Can't really blame the high school teachers for that though, the board of ed are the ones drawing up these terrible assessment tests.

Comment

We need to be worried about how to write more papers IMO. The more research we do and the more reading and writing we do, the better we will become as intellects IMO. I know writing long papers are annoying, but when you're doing research on stuff that you're studying, it really helps.

In today's world I think it's almost more useful to know how to find information than it is actually knowing something. I'm not saying that actually having discrete knowledge and information is not desirable, but with the wealth of knowledge that is immediately available with the internet, it's as important to know how to find information and learn the distinction between what's reliable and what is not.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShakeandBake View Post
                          I agree, tests should focus more on critical thinking than regurgitation. Can't really blame the high school teachers for that though, the board of ed are the ones drawing up these terrible assessment tests.
                          Board of Ed isn't doing anything directly to create assessments, outside of possibly deciding what outside assessment company to use.

Teachers themselves design most of their own assessments (unless they are just using what came with their textbooks). Multiple choice can assess more material more quickly than other methods, with the added benefit that they are easier to grade and offer more conformity in assessment grading (as there is no subjective nature involved; even penmanship effects grading on long answer questions, particularly essays). To me, MC tests should only be used as monitor checks as opposed to true assessment. A true assessment need to be multi-modal.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShakeandBake View Post
                            It's just laziness on their part. I don't remember the last time I was assigned a project to be honest.

My favorite class this semester was English 204- Romanticism. Because we discussed and analyzed the stories. Not read it and take a quiz and that is that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drez View Post
                              In today's world I think it's almost more useful to know how to find information than it is actually knowing something. I'm not saying that actually having discrete knowledge and information is not desirable, but with the wealth of knowledge that is immediately available with the internet, it's as important to know how to find information and learn the distinction between what's reliable and what is not.
                              Yeah, I'm taking a research class and it's pretty beneficial to be honest. I find it annoying still, but that's because my research skills are so weak. I'm so into skimming large documents to find out if the article or articles are good for my particular topic.

Comment

• Now that doesn't mean I'm all for doing projects and research papers LOL, but it's more beneficial.

Comment

Working...
                                X