The Freaking Lounge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drez View Post
    And our Capitol is right on the border of north and south, so should all Americans consider themselves either northerners or southerners?
    Comparing the DC to Cairo is like comparing apples and oranges. The majority of Egyptians live in or near Cairo, just because of how much desert/inhospitable land lies south and west from the capital. If Egypt consisted of just the fertile lands(which lie close to the ME and where most of their people live) than you could really argue either way. Its like arguing whether or not the Ukraine is a part of Europe or Asia.

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
      Egypt has had a lot of foreign influences over the centuries. They were conquered many times by Canaanites, Nubians, Persians, Babylon. From 332 BC Macedonia/Greece ruled over Egypt until the Romans arrived. Once Rome fell the Byzantines had it for a bit before Arab Muslims conquered in 646.
      They definitely have a mix of pretty much everything but I only mentioned Ethiopia because we were talking about Africa.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShakeandBake View Post
        They definitely have a mix of pretty much everything but I only mentioned Ethiopia because we were talking about Africa.
        Well, geographically speaking, Egypt is part of Africa.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drez View Post
          Well, geographically speaking, Egypt is part of Africa.
          It most certainly is, but because the definition of what middle eastern is is so loose, it is also considered middle eastern depending on the source.

Comment

• I was just reading earlier about how Anwar Sadat made Egypt the first Arab nation to make peace with Israel.....it got him the Nobel peace price.......................................and got him assassinated..................
            Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
              I was just reading earlier about how Anwar Sadat made Egypt the first Arab nation to make peace with Israel.....it got him the Nobel peace price.......................................and got him assassinated..................
              That whole area is such a mess, they will be fighting each other for another 2,000 years just like they were the 2,000+ years prior.

Comment

It most certainly is, but because the definition of what middle eastern is is so loose, it is also considered middle eastern depending on the source.
                That's where I'm confused...I don't think they see themselves as African, even though technically they are..
                Mood: WOOF!

Comment

That whole area is such a mess, they will be fighting each other for another 2,000 years just like they were the 2,000+ years prior.
                  lol i love that line in Zohan, where the mother is like "theyve been fighting for over 2000 years! It will have to stop SOON, right!?!?"
                  Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

I was just reading earlier about how Anwar Sadat made Egypt the first Arab nation to make peace with Israel.....it got him the Nobel peace price.......................................and got him assassinated..................
                    Terrible. Their beliefs are full of hate. They preach hate.
                    Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                      Terrible. Their beliefs are full of hate. They preach hate.
                      currently it's easily one of the worst places around. terrible is a great description.
                      Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                        That's where I'm confused...I don't think they see themselves as African, even though technically they are..
                        They definitely don't but Drez is technically right. Africa is really two separate continents imo, the countries within/north of the sahara have completely different cultures/ideals than those south of the sahara.
                        Last edited by ShakeandBake; 05-16-2013, 06:13 PM.

Comment

lol i love that line in Zohan, where the mother is like "theyve been fighting for over 2000 years! It will have to stop SOON, right!?!?"
                          Never saw that one. I was a big Sandler fan back in the day but after seeing Billy Madison, Big Daddy, The Waterboy, Anger Management, and Happy Gilmore a million times I didn't expect to see anything new in the Zohan haha.

Comment

They definitely don't but Drez is technically right. Africa is really two separate continents imo, the countries within/north of the sahara have completely different cultures/ideals than those south of the sahara.
                            Yeah, North Africa has a bit of a different flavor to it than does Saharan and Sub-Saharan Africa.

Comment

• I like Blue cheese with wings. Not ranch.

Comment

• Is there and age where you should stop eating freez pops?

Comment

Working...
                                X