No announcement yet.

The Freaking Lounge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makes no sense how I have an adblocker and I'm still getting tabs opened for ads...

Comment

• Originally posted by Moke View Post
      Makes no sense how I have an adblocker and I'm still getting tabs opened for ads...
      Ad blocker is for videos.
      Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Holy ****, some of my friends are just flat ****ing ******ed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drez View Post
          Holy ****, some of my friends are just flat ****ing ******ed.
          holy **** what the ****ing **** happened?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
            holy **** what the ****ing **** happened?
            One of my friends just posted some, "Vaccines cause autism," link. The link touted that the Vaccine Courts (a real thing, by the way), recently ruled in a case that an MMR shot caused autism in a kid, penalizing the pharmaceutical company just over $1m in damages. So, I looked into it. The proffer brief that the article linked to actually states that damages were awarded based on the vaccine causing encephalitis, which does unfortunately happen in some rare cases. Granted, the plaintiffs said this caused the ASD, but that wasn't supported by the brief.

Of course the article also extensively pointed to the countlessly debunked and rebuked Wakefield paper that sparked the whole anti-vaxxer craze.

Comment

One of my friends just posted some, "Vaccines cause autism," link. The link touted that the Vaccine Courts (a real thing, by the way), recently ruled in a case that an MMR shot caused autism in a kid, penalizing the pharmaceutical company just over $1m in damages. So, I looked into it. The proffer brief that the article linked to actually states that damages were awarded based on the vaccine causing encephalitis, which does unfortunately happen in some rare cases. Granted, the plaintiffs said this caused the ASD, but that wasn't supported by the brief.
              I agree your friend is a complete moron, along with anyone else who believes that vaccinations and autism are related.

Comment

Of course the article also extensively pointed to the countlessly debunked and rebuked Wakefield paper that sparked the whole anti-vaxxer craze.
                So basically people panicked and made a ****ty ruling.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYG- View Post
                  I agree your friend is a complete moron, along with anyone else who believes that vaccinations and autism are related.
                  Hi Shake

Comment

So basically people panicked and made a ****ty ruling.
                    No. Vaccines do in extremely rare cases do cause encephalitis. As far as I'm aware though, every case that has straight up said that they caused autism has failed.

Comment

To cover bases I also sent him a link to an article that discusses a paper that further disproves the "antigen myth.'

Comment

To cover bases I also sent him a link to an article that discusses a paper that further disproves the "antigen myth.'
                        There is overwhelming evidence that says that the two are not related at all. As a matter of fact, I have only read one study that supported the notion that vaccines and autism are related. Some idiot researchers in California concluded that the rate of autism had tripled over a particular point in time, and attributed this to an increase in vaccinations during the same time period. The thing is, these geniuses didn't consider that the rate of population growth coincided with the spike in autism rates. Its studies like the one I just mentioned that perpetuate this myth.

Comment

Hi Shake

Comment

OK

Hi Marv, welcome back.

Comment

There is overwhelming evidence that says that the two are not related at all. As a matter of fact, I have only read one study that supported the notion that vaccines and autism are related. Some idiot researchers in California concluded that the rate of autism had tripled over a particular point in time, and attributed this to an increase in vaccinations during the same time period. The thing is, these geniuses didn't consider that the rate of population growth coincided with the spike in autism rates. Its studies like the one I just mentioned that perpetuate this myth.
                              Well, there was the Wakefield study, which was the one that really set it to spark. But, since that study has come out, it's been debunked completely. Everything from conflict of interest (the study was being funded by a personal injury lawyer), to manipulating results. His study also only looked at 8 subjects.

Comment

OK

Hi Marv, welcome back.
                                I don't think it's Marv, either. I'm sure there's a high level of concomitance between Truthers and Anti-Vaxxers.

Comment

Working...
                                X