The Freaking Lounge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
    It was a poor comparison. I understand injustice, I understand taking a stand.

The injustice of going to jail because you're black and you sat in the "white section" of the bus is different than the injustice of being penalized for a college athlete selling autographs. I understand where she is coming from with trying to tie the two together, because they both ARE injustices, but the two acts are on a different level on injustice. Which is why the article is completely insane IMO.

I'm not claiming she's being racist, I'm claiming she made a poor comparison.
    Everything you said was covered explicitly in the article. I'm not sure if you read it, or only read the Deadspin version, because the article is explicitly clear in its intent.

Here are some quotes from the piece.

It is intended to say, wrong is wrong.
    He was merely the tipping point, the final straw, that moment when people finally said: “We are mad as hell and we’re not going to take it any more.”
    My comparison of Johnny Football to Rosa Parks, a brave and willing American hero, is based only on Manziel's role as a tipping point.
    As for the varying degrees of injustice, that goes hand in hand with the " much less historical significance." If the "historical significance" was even remotely comparable, so would the injustices, but they're not, so neither are the injustices, or the ensuing "stands" that are taken.

With all of these quotes in the piece, the comparison in the manner she uses it is completely acceptable.
    My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

• to be honest...there shouldnt be any mention, because there's no comparison. Does anyone actually think that Manziel sold autographs to make a stand against anything. no...he just wanted to make a quick buck, and doesnt care about the rules. (for the record, the rules are stupid. colelge athletes should be able to make money for themselves if they want to sell their own name. that has nothing to do with NCAA or College in my eyes)
      Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
        Everything you said was covered explicitly in the article. I'm not sure if you read it, or only read the Deadspin version, because the article is explicitly clear in its intent.

Here are some quotes from the piece.

As for the varying degrees of injustice, that goes hand in hand with the " much less historical significance." If the "historical significance" was even remotely comparable, so would the injustices, but they're not, so neither are the injustices, or the ensuing "stands" that are taken.

With all of these quotes in the piece, the comparison in the manner she uses it is completely acceptable.
        Historical significance has nothing to do with the degree of injustice.
        Mood: WOOF!

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post
          to be honest...there shouldnt be any mention, because there's no comparison. Does anyone actually think that Manziel sold autographs to make a stand against anything. no...he just wanted to make a quick buck, and doesnt care about the rules. (for the record, the rules are stupid. colelge athletes should be able to make money for themselves if they want to sell their own name. that has nothing to do with NCAA or College in my eyes)
          Thank you.

This is what I'm saying with there's a different level of injustice. I hate the rule about autographs, it's stupid, it IS injustice.
          Rosa Parks went to jail because of her skin color. That is injustice.

The ONLY comparison you can make is that they are injustice. That's it. But don't compare them.

You cannot compare the two. It has nothing to do with which story is more popular or "historically significant", it has to do with the context and the situation.

Comment

to be honest...there shouldnt be any mention, because there's no comparison. Does anyone actually think that Manziel sold autographs to make a stand against anything. no...he just wanted to make a quick buck, and doesnt care about the rules. (for the record, the rules are stupid. colelge athletes should be able to make money for themselves if they want to sell their own name. that has nothing to do with NCAA or College in my eyes)
            The comparison is invalid if you don't believe Manziel "took a stand."

But since the article is written with that pretext, and predicated upon it, the comparison is valid on a much, much lower, and simpler, scale -- which the writer, herself, makes clear in all of the text-quotes above.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
              Historical significance has nothing to do with the degree of injustice.
              Historical significance has a lot to do with injustice. That's why the oppression of college athletes versus the oppression of an entire race has "much less historical significance."

Comment

The comparison is invalid if you don't believe Manziel "took a stand."

But since the article is written with that pretext, and predicated upon it, the comparison is valid on a much, much lower, and simpler, scale -- which the writer, herself, makes clear in all of the text-quotes above.
                ok, well here's the thing...

Manziel is a snot-nosed, whiney piece of ****....to say that he has the smarts to stage a protest of any kind to make a statement, or to make a stand against injsutice, or however you wanna word it, is STRAIGHT RUBBISH. There's NO injustice here. The rules are the injuctice, but we're not talking about civil ****ing liberties here...we're talking about some BS laws that prevent some already rich white kid to make money while he's ON A FREE RIDE to a $40,000/yr school.
                The fact that we're discussing this is the real injustice to my ****ing brain. College sports are so completely useless as is the NCAA as an organization in general.
                Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• that post sounded like i care. lol...i assure you I dont. I just like to swear alot =]
                  Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

ok, well here's the thing...

Manziel is a snot-nosed, whiney piece of ****....to say that he has the smarts to stage a protest of any kind to make a statement, or to make a stand against injsutice, or however you wanna word it, is STRAIGHT RUBBISH. There's NO injustice here. The rules are the injuctice, but we're not talking about civil ****ing liberties here...we're talking about some BS laws that prevent some already rich white kid to make money while he's ON A FREE RIDE to a $40,000/yr school.
                    The fact that we're discussing this is the real injustice to my ****ing brain. College sports are so completely useless as is the NCAA as an organization in general.
                    I don't like Manziel, either. I don't like the comparison of a ****** kid to a hero.

But the injustice, on a much lower scale, is there. I understand your frustration. Saying things like Manziel, a punk by many accounts, "took a stand against injustice," is a tad grandiose, and rubs people the wrong way. But, Rudyy, has even said that it the autograph rule "IS injustice." Again, much lower scale, and the levels are incomparable, but the writer is clear that that IS the case. She's not attempting to say that they face the same oppression, she just sees a situation where someone takes a stand against an unpopular rule -- a low-level injustice -- and serves as a "tipping point."

These aren't just my feelings, either. Read for yourself:
                    My comparison of Johnny Football to Rosa Parks, a brave and willing American hero, is based only on Manziel's role as a tipping point.
                    http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...pocrisy-080813

Comment

• How is it a tipping point? Did they change all the NCAA rules or something?

No? didn't think so. All it does is piss racist whites off. But they don't count....this is Texas we're talking about....
                      Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

• Manziel is a brave and willing American?

Comment

How is it a tipping point? Did they change all the NCAA rules or something?

No? didn't think so. All it does is piss racist whites off. But they don't count....this is Texas we're talking about....
                          Tipping point to getting the ball rolling on changing the rules.

It's been a controversial issue for a while, but this writer apparently feels that Manziel's situation is gonna spark some serious, and productive, conversations. I personally don't follow CFB enough to care, lol.

Comment

Tipping point to getting the ball rolling on changing the rules.

It's been a controversial issue for a while, but this writer apparently feels that Manziel's situation is gonna spark some serious, and productive, conversations. I personally don't follow CFB enough to care, lol.
                            pretty much this. I already didn't like the kid....but I dont care about this particular issue. It's just that i feel this "writer" is duuuuuummmmbbbb
                            Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

pretty much this. I already didn't like the kid....but I dont care about this particular issue. It's just that i feel this "writer" is duuuuuummmmbbbb
                              Pretty much.

Comment

I don't like Manziel, either. I don't like the comparison of a ****** kid to a hero.

But the injustice, on a much lower scale, is there. I understand your frustration. Saying things like Manziel, a punk by many accounts, "took a stand against injustice," is a tad grandiose, and rubs people the wrong way. But, Rudyy, has even said that it the autograph rule "IS injustice." Again, much lower scale, and the levels are incomparable, but the writer is clear that that IS the case. She's not attempting to say that they face the same oppression, she just sees a situation where someone takes a stand against an unpopular rule -- a low-level injustice -- and serves as a "tipping point."

These aren't just my feelings, either. Read for yourself:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...pocrisy-080813
                                To me it was stupid to make it even on a much lower scale. That's how dumb it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X