The Freaking Lounge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
    To me it was stupid to make it even on a much lower scale. That's how dumb it is.

Agreeeeeeed.....she could have made her (stupid) point some other way just the same
    Oderint Dum Metuant

It's too bad, I'm too good....

Comment

• Originally posted by JPizzack View Post

Agreeeeeeed.....she could have made her (stupid) point some other way just the same
      She doesn't even have to compare it to anything. Just say it's injustice, which it is.
      Mood: WOOF!

Comment

She doesn't even have to compare it to anything. Just say it's injustice, which it is.
        DAMMIT RUDYY I JUST SAID THAT =P
        Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

DAMMIT RUDYY I JUST SAID THAT =P
          ALRIGHT YOU KNOW WHAT, CLEARLY YOU ARE ON YOUR PERIOD TODAY...

I'M JUST GOING TO LEAVE YOU ALONE FOREVER BYE

Comment

ALRIGHT YOU KNOW WHAT, CLEARLY YOU ARE ON YOUR PERIOD TODAY...

I'M JUST GOING TO LEAVE YOU ALONE FOREVER BYE
            lmao

fo evah? fo evah evah? FO EVAH EVAH
            Oderint Dum Metuant

Comment

lmao

fo evah? fo evah evah? FO EVAH EVAH
              lmao, is that from Outkast?

Comment

She isn't comparing the levels of injustice. Seriously, did you even read the article you're arguing about?

and no, this is not intended in any way to compare the vast evil of Jim Crow to an incompetent NCAA investigation
                http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...pocrisy-080813

She is merely juxtaposing their roles as a "tipping point," and drawing a parallel to another familiar tipping point. Rosa Parks is mentioned a total of TWO times in the entire article, and both with heavy prefacing.

First time she is mentioned, this ensued:
                On a much less historically significant scale, so it is with Johnny Football — and no, this is not intended in any way to compare the vast evil of Jim Crow to an incompetent NCAA investigation, or to slings from TV commentators.
                Second time she is mentioned, this ensued:
                My comparison of Johnny Football to Rosa Parks, a brave and willing American hero, is based only on Manziel's role as a tipping point.
                They are both injustices which were defied, and the defiers now serve as a "tipping point."

You act as if the writer was like "and on the second autograph he signed, it was like when they took Rosa to see the judge." None of that is going on.
                My body was sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo's David.

Comment

• Originally posted by gmen0820 View Post
                  She isn't comparing the levels of injustice. Seriously, did you even read the article you're arguing about?

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...pocrisy-080813

She is merely juxtaposing their roles as a "tipping point," and drawing a parallel to another familiar tipping point. Rosa Parks is mentioned a total of TWO times in the entire article, and both with heavy prefacing.

First time she is mentioned, this ensued:

Second time she is mentioned, this ensued:

They are both injustices which were defied, and the defiers now serve as a "tipping point."

You act as if the writer was like "and on the second autograph he signed, it was like when they took Rosa to see the judge." None of that is going on.
                  Drawing a parallel...yeah, comparing.

I'm not trying to compare the two.....but I kinda sorta am..OH BUT IT'S TOTALLY NOT ON THE SAME LEVEL THOUGH.....just...comparing..

Comment

Drawing a parallel...yeah, comparing.

I'm not trying to compare the two.....but I kinda sorta am..OH BUT IT'S TOTALLY NOT ON THE SAME LEVEL THOUGH.....just...comparing..
                    She doesn't compare the two levels of injustice, she is clear in her intent that she isn't comparing them. She's blatantly clear that the only mention of Rosa Parks stems from her role as a tipping point.

You've falsely thought that she was trying to say they're similar, right here:

Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
                    The injustice of going to jail because you're black and you sat in the "white section" of the bus is different than the injustice of being penalized for a college athlete selling autographs. I understand where she is coming from with trying to tie the two together, because they both ARE injustices, but the two acts are on a different level on injustice. Which is why the article is completely insane IMO.
                    And you've admirably backtracked out of that statement once you realized that the levels of injustice were never even, in the slightest bit, an intended comparison by the author. And since that false belief was your justification for "why the article is completely insane," you have no basis (unless you fabricate a new reason) to believe it's an insane piece.

Comment

She doesn't compare the two levels of injustice, she is clear in her intent that she isn't comparing them. She's blatantly clear that the only mention of Rosa Parks stems from her role as a tipping point.

You've falsely thought that she was trying to say they're similar, right here:

And you've admirably backtracked out of that statement once you realized that the levels of injustice were never even, in the slightest bit, an intended comparison by the author. And since that false belief was your justification for "why the article is completely insane," you have no basis (unless you fabricate a new reason) to believe it's an insane piece.
                      I did not backtrack once. She is is still comparing them, and I still believe she is comparing them, no matter how hard she tries to deny it. It doesn't matter if it's on a less significant level, she's still drawing parallel.

Comment

• Isnt that the lady who had a bad back and couldnt make it to the back of the bus. I kid, I kid
                        Rudy, you should be proud when people think of others who stood up(in this case sat down) for what they believe in, they think of Mrs. Parks. Is it a ridiculous comparison, absolutely. Its not like John is speaking out against the Ncaa and how they handle this type of "misconduct". Did Johnny do it out of spite and to thumb his nose at the Ncaa or did he do it to make a few bucks, Im going with the latter. Mrs. Parks did what she did because of her principles and what she believed in. Its apples and oranges, I dont see the comparason

Comment

• Originally posted by dezzzR View Post
                          Isnt that the lady who had a bad back and couldnt make it to the back of the bus. I kid, I kid
                          Rudy, you should be proud when people think of others who stood up(in this case sat down) for what they believe in, they think of Mrs. Parks. Is it a ridiculous comparison, absolutely. Its not like John is speaking out against the Ncaa and how they handle this type of "misconduct". Did Johnny do it out of spite and to thumb his nose at the Ncaa or did he do it to make a few bucks, Im going with the latter. Mrs. Parks did what she did because of her principles and what she believed in. Its apples and oranges, I dont see the comparason
                          WHY CAN'T GMEN UNDERSTAND THIS. I THINK HE'S ALLERGIC TO LOGIC.

LMAO that was funny...not sure if she had a bad back, she was just really tired. I'm not angry at the author, I don't think she's a racist or anything at all. It's just really not a good comparison at all.

Comment

I did not backtrack once.
                            Really, is that why you went from:
                            I understand where she is coming from with trying to tie the two together, because they both ARE injustices, but the two acts are on a different level on injustice. Which is why the article is completely insane IMO.
                            To:
                            Historical significance has nothing to do with the degree of injustice.
                            To this:
                            To me it was stupid to make it even on a much lower scale. That's how dumb it is.
                            You've gradually went from, "she doesn't acknowledge both are completely different," to "that (historical significance) not adequate justification of acknowledgment of the differing levels," to the "alright, it is a much lower scare, but it's still dumb and stupid" (a trend that is typical of you).

She is is still comparing them, and I still believe she is comparing them, no matter how hard she tries to deny it. It doesn't matter if it's on a less significant level, she's still drawing parallel.
                            She is comparing them, but not in the manner you've previously suggested. She is clear that she isn't comparing CFB to Jim Crowe laws. She is clear that her comparison only applies to their role as a tipping point in the injustices they face in their own lives. And those two instances of clarity are the only references to Rosa Parks made in the entire piece.

And, as you previously stated, because the level of injustices are so completely different, the article is insane. And that's a validly formed conclusion if the writer had any intent on hinging the validity of the argument through comparing the two injustices. But she doesn't, so the conclusion -- at least the way you previously said you reached it -- isn't formed validly.

So let me spare you the time:
                            This all just IMO.
                            Ah, the metamorphosis of your argument. The IMO-tap dance.

Comment

Really, is that why you went from:

To:

To this:

You've gradually went from, "she doesn't acknowledge both are completely different," to "that (historical significance) not adequate justification of acknowledgment of the differing levels," to the "alright, it is a much lower scare, but it's still dumb and stupid" (a trend that is typical of you).

She is comparing them, but not in the manner you've previously suggested. She is clear that she isn't comparing CFB to Jim Crowe laws. She is clear that her comparison only applies to their role as a tipping point in the injustices they face in their own lives. And those two instances of clarity are the only references to Rosa Parks made in the entire piece.

And, as you previously stated, because the level of injustices are so completely different, the article is insane. And that's a validly formed conclusion if the writer had any intent on hinging the validity of the argument through comparing the two injustices. But she doesn't, so the conclusion -- at least the way you previously said you reached it -- isn't formed validly.

So let me spare you the time: Ah, the metamorphosis of your argument. The IMO-tap dance.
                              All three of those points that I "backtracked" on are all different points. Still not backtracking, and she is still clearly comparing the two. You can dig deeper and deeper all you want to. It's clear as day.

Yes, this is my opinion. You have problems with people who have a different opinion than you. I get it, but it's okay to just agree to disagree sometimes. I'm still not going to agree with you no matter how deep you dig in the article. It was wrong of her to even consider Johnny Manziel and Rosa Parks, let alone COMPARE them.

Stupid article. Hope she learned her lesson.

Comment

Yes, this is my opinion. You have problems with people who have a different opinion than you. I get it, but it's okay to just agree to disagree sometimes.
                                When someone uses Rosa Parks only as a comparison to the tipping point against injustice, the comparison is valid if someone defies the injustice and prompts discussion for reform. This holds true despite the completely differing level of injustice.

Your whole argument has been predicated upon the comparison being terrible because the situations are completely different. They are completely different, so I understand why it is that you're reluctant to accept my conclusion. But, the argument that you've presented indicates to me that you're looking for the debate where people call Johnny Football a hero for his efforts, and, unless I've missed it, no one is making that argument. That debate would be foolish to make, because what Manziel is standing up to is not even remotely close to what Parks stood up to. Like I said, though, no one is saying that.

Again, the writer is clear in her intent:

and no, this is not intended in any way to compare the vast evil of Jim Crow to an incompetent NCAA investigation
                                My comparison of Johnny Football to Rosa Parks, a brave and willing American hero, is based only on Manziel's role as a tipping point.

Comment

Working...
                                X