Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Freaking Lounge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Drez View Post
    I actually couldn't stand mathematics until I was in college and learned some of the history and philosophy behind why the mathematicians were developing their various systems and theorems.
    Wow, I'm just like you.

    I loathed math up until High School. I was NEVER good at it. Got to college, and I love it (mainly statistics). Gives me a headache at times, but I know what's going on. It helps with my psychology too since there's many statistics used.
    Mood: WOOF!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Drez View Post
      I actually couldn't stand mathematics until I was in college and learned some of the history and philosophy behind why the mathematicians were developing their various systems and theorems.
      I didn't start to cultivate a true love and appreciation for history until I was out of highschool.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Rudyy View Post
        Wow, I'm just like you.

        I loathed math up until High School. I was NEVER good at it. Got to college, and I love it (mainly statistics). Gives me a headache at times, but I know what's going on. It helps with my psychology too since there's many statistics used.
        I actually failed out of HS because of math. Just couldn't get engaged enough to put in the work to get my math sequence. Luckily, seeing as it was only that class I couldn't pass, the school and I had an arrangement where they would give me my diploma once I passed a college level math course that was comparable to or above the one I couldn't pass in HS. Too bad I took 10 years to do that, lol.

        But, yeah. Math became much more accessible to me after learning the non-math back story. It made it more tangible to me. Made it more than just a jumble of numbers and letters where you just had to follow rote rules to solve for x, y, or z.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Drez View Post
          I actually failed out of HS because of math. Just couldn't get engaged enough to put in the work to get my math sequence. Luckily, seeing as it was only that class I couldn't pass, the school and I had an arrangement where they would give me my diploma once I passed a college level math course that was comparable to or above the one I couldn't pass in HS. Too bad I took 10 years to do that, lol.

          But, yeah. Math became much more accessible to me after learning the non-math back story. It made it more tangible to me. Made it more than just a jumble of numbers and letters where you just had to follow rote rules to solve for x, y, or z.
          Dang, that must of been awful to deal with. My roommate actually dropped out because she could not pass Algebra.

          The only math I like is statistics.
          Mood: WOOF!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Drez View Post
            What's something that you find interesting? It has a history. You can learn it. History is everything. Literally. Even the future is some further future's past.
            I don't care about the revolutions and stuff. I like the Industrial stuff.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Moke View Post
              I don't care about the revolutions and stuff. I like the Industrial stuff.
              one of the coolest parts of american history was late 1800's in the wild west. love that time period.

              Comment


              • Ah, the industrial revolution was cool to learn about. Andrew Carnegie and people like him.

                I've always loved the roaring twenties. Seemed like fun back then. Of course the country was on the brink of depression but still..
                Mood: WOOF!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Rusty192 View Post
                  one of the coolest parts of american history was late 1800's in the wild west. love that time period.
                  That stuff all bores me, I don't know why. I want to know a time period, but I want a nice concept to study. This book ain't bad because it talks about when the stock market came around and how it influenced wars and stuff. I just hated history COURSES, where it was just facts.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Rusty192 View Post
                    I didn't start to cultivate a true love and appreciation for history until I was out of highschool.
                    One of my favorite teachers in HS was a Social Studies teacher. The teacher I hated the most was also a Social Studies teacher. That ******* once curved a test down because too many kids did well. Mind you he didn't normally curve. His reasoning was, "Too many of you did well on this test. That means I mustn't have made it difficult enough, so I'm deducting 5 points from everyone's test scores." He didn't think to himself that he did a better job teaching. No. Just that he made the test too easy. My friend Danielle was absolutely crushed. It was the first A grade she had gotten all year, and this was in late April. The deduction brought her score down to an 88. The guy was a Class A ******. I have plenty of stories about that guy, lol.

                    I guess what I was trying to say before I started ranting was, if a subject could have one of my favorite teachers and the one I hated most, it had to be intriguing.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Moke View Post
                      That stuff all bores me, I don't know why. I want to know a time period, but I want a nice concept to study. This book ain't bad because it talks about when the stock market came around and how it influenced wars and stuff. I just hated history COURSES, where it was just facts.
                      I assume you haven't taken many higher level history courses? Like 300 level or higher? A lot of the lower level, intro course tend to be a little more rote. But, really, it all comes down to the instructor. Are they going to dictate to you or guide you through the nuances of history.

                      Comment


                      • I like social sciences. I understand why math is important because you learn a concept, and you follow the process. Social sciences get a bad rep because it's not hard or empirical evidence. That's what makes it interesting though.
                        Mood: WOOF!

                        Comment


                        • Government is one of the best classes I've ever taken.
                          Mood: WOOF!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Drez View Post
                            I assume you haven't taken many higher level history courses? Like 300 level or higher? A lot of the lower level, intro course tend to be a little more rote. But, really, it all comes down to the instructor. Are they going to dictate to you or guide you through the nuances of history.
                            Yeah right. The day I take those... I rather take psych courses for my electives.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Moke View Post
                              That stuff all bores me, I don't know why. I want to know a time period, but I want a nice concept to study. This book ain't bad because it talks about when the stock market came around and how it influenced wars and stuff. I just hated history COURSES, where it was just facts.
                              How about this: Look at the American Revolution's influence on the French Revolution. Further, analyze how Rousseau's,The Social Contract, namely his idea of the "general will" directly resulted in the Reign of Terror, Napoleon's rise to power and how that affected European and global politics and power structures for the following 100 or so years.

                              Comment


                              • Lol Moke would love reading about Social Darwinism.
                                Mood: WOOF!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X