Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OBJ makes the news again and not in a good light.....Come on Man!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
    Are you seriously comparing some normal dude being 20 minutes late to his job as an accountant to a celebrity getting paid a hefty check to do an event for fkn kids? Seriously? It's called perspective and this little boy hasn't proved after 3 years that he is capable of making mature well thought out decisions.

If he can't handle the lime light then stop collecting his check and he should go find a normal job and see what it's like to actually be accountable for your responsibilities.

Your not getting sympathy out of me for a diva, immature player that makes millions in a single year. And i actually really like OBJ. But at somepoint he needs to grow the hell up.
    Very few pro athletes EVER grow up.
    Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.

Comment

This is really disappointing, the guy hasn't shown even a small increase in maturity over the past few years. IMOF, I think he's regressed since his first year. His popularity went to his head. I'm getting sick and tited of him. Between his sideline distractions (temper tantrums), pre game distractions (running on field at GB with shirt off, spending more time finessing a hand slapping celebration and catching balls one handed then catching with both hands) and off field antics (boat trip, late to charity events, etc) I've just about had enough. At some point the distractions and immaturity outweigh his talent. Grow up Odiva Beckham!

Comment

my companies run these events all the time ... between 20 and 30 of them a year ... and unfortunately this is an all too common practice

I've actually withheld the players pay for the event and given it to the charity ... which really isn't a big deal because that is what most of them do anyway

I personally am not upset at Odell for this ... mostly because I see it happen constantly ... I know it upsets parents though ... and those parents and kids are fans ... that is wear the bad look comes in

especially when there are a number of guys who show up early to the event ... help set up ... stay the entire time and stay late to sign things for the kids

some guys ... not many ... but some actually stay until every last person is gone

Hines Ward used to stay until everyone was gone and then help clean up ... never seen anything like it ... he also never took a cent for being there .. not one time

like anything else this is blown out of proportion and also made to look like it is an isolated event on Odell ... which it unfortunately is not
        Last edited by YATittle1962; 04-18-2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
          my companies run these events all the time ... between 20 and 30 of them a year ... and unfortunately this is an all too common practice

I've actually withheld the players pay for the event and given it to the charity ... which really isn't a big deal because that is what most of them do anyway

I personally am not upset at Odell for this ... mostly because I see it happen constantly ... I know it upsets parents though ... and those parents and kids are fans ... that is wear the bad look comes in

especially when there are a number of guys who show up early to the even ... help set up ... stay the entire time and stay late to sign things for the kids

some guys ... not many ... but some actually stay until every last person is gone

Hines Ward used to stay until everyone was gone and then help clean up ... never seen anything like it ... he also never took a cent for being there .. not one time

like anything else this is blown out of proportion and also made to look like it is an isolated event on Odell ... which it unfortunately is not
          Not a reflection on you but this is the second time in a week you have made the "they all do it" excuse.

It's more of an indictment on spoiled pro athletes and just confirms my view that we should just enjoy what they do on the field and not worry too much about what kind of people they are away from the team. They are bound to disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by Morehead State View Post
            Not a reflection on you but this is the second time in a week you have made the "they all do it" excuse.

It's more of an indictment on spoiled pro athletes and just confirms my view that we should just enjoy what they do on the field and not worry too much about what kind of people they are away from the team. They are bound to disappoint.
            first ... the "they all do it " in the Eli thread was referring to signing contracts ... yes they all sign memorabilia deals ... not sure how that pertains to spoiled pro athletes

but I agree ... they are young and do not want to spend their days at charity events ... it looks bad but I don't really blame them

Comment

It's the same thing as LT, Tiki etc......
              I want to root for them on the field, have fond memories of their play as Giants and then let them live their lives without me seeing everything.
              Ultimately they are spoiled athletes and overgrown children....so they are prone to disappoint us. I'd just rather focus on what happens on the field and let the rest go.
              Hypothetically, would you still apply this logic to a Greg hardy situation? Not that what Odell is doing equates but at some point the off field issues can permeate beyond their personal life.
              sigpic #80

Comment

Originally posted by SG88 View Post
                I agree with you. It was way simpler when we had no idea what these players were doing away from the gridiron. Fans begged for more access. Now that they have it, they whine about everything that these athletes do or don't do. Even though I like OBJ, he is just your typical dbag athlete. Nothing more or less.
                It's the same thing as LT, Tiki etc......
                I want to root for them on the field, have fond memories of their play as Giants and then let them live their lives without me seeing everything.
                Ultimately they are spoiled athletes and overgrown children....so they are prone to disappoint us. I'd just rather focus on what happens on the field and let the rest go.
                I am not whining at all. For me, as a fan, I take the team and the players to a personal level to a degree. I dont want to root for *******s. For example I would hate it if Suh was Giant or Cortland Finnegan, etc.
                I dont think OB is on that "jerk off" level at all but at the same time I would hate to see him become that. For me its more than what he does on the field But thats just me .
                Also I am saying what he did was so bad but it just reflects poorly on him and its just one more thing that he has done to shed a bad light on himself. 'I tryuly think he is not a bad dude at all he is just being dumb and irresponsible. He doesnt need to be dumb and irresponsible.
                "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

Originally posted by gibril28wilson View Post
                  not gonna lie....kindaaa messed up to be late and miss a flight and everything. I love Odell, he's one of my favorite players and i usually defend him like crazy, but this is just dumb.

you have a job and priorities. This was a paying event, for kids no less. Just make the flight. It's a simple thing to do, just make the scheduled flight and get to where you need to be.

it's a small issue, but still something that could have easily been avoided if he wanted to. hopefully Odell is just trying to get the most out of his break before settling in and focusing 100% on Giants football
                  +1 like you said, he was paid to be somewhere at a certain time, make it a priority to be there.
                  That's why we discuss, We all have different perspectives. Ride and Die with the NY Giants

Comment

I wish he did more for the kids. They love him and idolize him. Sometimes people who reach success in a short time get full of themselves. Hope he doesn't listen to all the people that tell him how great he is. We all love his greatness now if only we could love him. Don't do anything that disappoints children that look up to you, that would be a great start.

Comment

i was thinking the same thing while reading YAs respond but he does have more insight than most. His opinions are usually based on facts and experiences unlike the majority of us. like you said, because they are who they are and make as much as they do, we want to hold them to high standards. however, most seem to disappoint.
                      That's why we discuss, We all have different perspectives. Ride and Die with the NY Giants

Comment

Originally posted by YATittle1962 View Post
                        first ... the "they all do it " in the Eli thread was referring to signing contracts ... yes they all sign memorabilia deals ... not sure how that pertains to spoiled pro athletes

but I agree ... they are young and do not want to spend their days at charity events ... it looks bad but I don't really blame them
                        For those who much is given..much is asked.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Z-E View Post
                          Hypothetically, would you still apply this logic to a Greg hardy situation? Not that what Odell is doing equates but at some point the off field issues can permeate beyond their personal life.
                          I really don't know the answer. I've been a Giants fan for 50 years. I rooted hard for every player and many were probably horrible people. It's a matter of just not wanting to know, because if I DID know, it would change my view. I supposed there is some rationalizing going on their but I love my team and I enjoy being a Giants fan. If I knew every little crappy thing about all the players my enjoyment wouldn't be the same.

Comment

For those who much is given..much is asked.
                            no doubt ... and they should oblige gracefully and respectfully ... but these are kids so...

Comment

I really don't know the answer. I've been a Giants fan for 50 years. I rooted hard for every player and many were probably horrible people. It's a matter of just not wanting to know, because if I DID know, it would change my view. I supposed there is some rationalizing going on their but I love my team and I enjoy being a Giants fan. If I knew every little crappy thing about all the players my enjoyment wouldn't be the same.
                              thats the rub....
                              "wanting to know or not know" and actually "knowing".

We now know too much about these athletes but thats the nature of this beast.
                              Also these athletes have to deal with the increased exposure. All the more reason to try and not screw up easy stuff like showing up when you are supposed, to.
                              Doesnt make him a bad person just makes him irresponsible and sheds a bad light.
                              "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
                              You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Comment

This bothers me more than the on field stuff and the boat trip. He has to button these things up.

Comment

Working...
                                X