Good grief- the Eagles just got Jay Ajayi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmike View Post

Which team are you talking about here having success in the league? The Dolphins had that undefeated season and all, but that was a long time ago now and I think the Eagles had a championship back before the merger, but I am not seeing any recent "success" from these two agressive cutthroat teams. Unless of course not winning anything for the past two generations is the success for which you aspire.
    My point wasn't limited to the 2 teams involved with this trade but across the entire league.

I've been blessed in my lifetime to have witness all 4 of Big Blues SB victories and it's nice to be able to reflect back on the days when this team was a force to be reckoned with. The fact is though that this team has grown weak and brittle. It's feared by no one and laughed at by many..and rightfully so. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this team will never return to it's former glory...not in my lifetime anyway.

I'm objective enough to recognize that as much as I hate them, the Eagles are a team on the rise. I don't let the love of my team or my hatred towards the Eagles cloud that.
    Last edited by BigBluerekncrew; 10-31-2017, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBluerekncrew View Post

My point wasn't limited to the 2 teams involved with this trade but across the entire league.

I've been blessed in my lifetime to have witness all 4 of Big Blues SB victories and it's nice to be able to reflect back on the days when this team was a force to be reckoned with. The fact is though that this team has grown weak and brittle. It's feared by no one and laughed at by many..and rightfully so. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this team will never return to it's former glory...not in my lifetime anyway.

I'm objective enough to recognize that as much as I hate them, the Eagles are a team on the rise. I don't let the love of my team or my hatred towards the Eagles cloud that.
      Not denying they are on the rise, they have been on the rise before, but they have still never won anything. I think your choice of teams to hold as an example to emulate were poor ones. Neither have been consistently relevant either. The Dolphins in particular have been an also ran in a consistently weak division while a single team has dominated it for nearly 2 decades. The team that the Giants beat twice in the Super Bowl over the same span of time. So if the Dolphins win the Super Bowl this season, then we can discuss how the changes they made in how they did things led to success, as of now they are 0 for 43 since 1973. 43 years in which the SB was won by only 16 franchises.

Comment

I think this is a huge move for them in 2017, but not sure about the long term payoff. They're all in for this year (as they should be), but given the reports out of Miami about Ajayi's knees, I'm not sure how he'll hold up. But for the time being, he's still running the ball very well; and this continues to elevate them.

Check out the Tailgates of Hell: The NFC East Podcast for the Common Man!
        https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...153580971?mt=2
        Last edited by TailgatesofOH; 10-31-2017, 10:32 AM.

Comment

He has not been good at all this year.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
            Their QB play affected him. He's going to have a big 2nd behind that oline and Wentz. The eagles ripped them off again.

Comment

Originally posted by TCHOF View Post
              He has been banged up all year long. He was listed as questionable on their injury report every week since week 3.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeGiant View Post
                Traded from the Dolphins for a 4th round pick.....I fear the Giants are headed for several years of looking up at the Eagles and Cowboys in this division unless something drastic happens.......
                They're gonna be looking up at Washington as well if they don't make drastic changes in the front office, coaching staff, player personnel, and identity.

Comment

Not denying they are on the rise, they have been on the rise before, but they have still never won anything. I think your choice of teams to hold as an example to emulate were poor ones. Neither have been consistently relevant either. The Dolphins in particular have been an also ran in a consistently weak division while a single team has dominated it for nearly 2 decades. The team that the Giants beat twice in the Super Bowl over the same span of time. So if the Dolphins win the Super Bowl this season, then we can discuss how the changes they made in how they did things led to success, as of now they are 0 for 43 since 1973. 43 years in which the SB was won by only 16 franchises.
                  Winning Super Bowls is not the only measure of success in the NFL

I dont know what the numbers are, but to me at least, it seems as though the Eagles have been putting themselves in a far better position to win games than the Giants have for the last 15-20 years. Sure, they haven't won a championship, but if I had to guess, they've probably made the playoffs far more often in that time span than the Giants have. If you dont make the playoffs, you cant be a champion.

Minus the two SB's in '07 and '11, the Giants have been very mediocre for many years. Hell, they weren't even particularly good teams when they did win those Lombardi's, but turned it up when it mattered. They stick to the same antiquated mindset from 1957 and dont know how to be aggressive when it comes to making changes/improvements
                  Last edited by Die-Hard; 10-31-2017, 11:41 AM.
                  The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeGiant View Post
                    Traded from the Dolphins for a 4th round pick.....I fear the Giants are headed for several years of looking up at the Eagles and Cowboys in this division unless something drastic happens.......
                    we are only a couple of pieces away. lets not get carried away here. trust me I have my moments when I think we will never be formidable but realistically, if we upgrade our OL and get a tier 1 RB, we can be dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Die-Hard View Post

I dont know what the numbers are, but to me at least, it seems as though the Eagles have been putting themselves in a far better position to win games than the Giants have for the last 15-20 years. Sure, they haven't won a championship, but if I had to guess, they've probably made the playoffs far more often in that time span than the Giants have. If you dont make the playoffs, you cant be a champion.

Minus the two SB's in '07 and '11, the Giants have been very mediocre for many years. Hell, they weren't even particularly good teams when they did win those Lombardi's, but turned it up when it mattered. They stick to the same antiquated mindset from 1957 and dont know how to be aggressive when it comes to making changes/improvements
                      cmon man... how can any Giants fan subtract the two SB's?!?!?!? You sound liek an Eagle fan. I know better but still.....

Comment

I couldn't disagree more. It is my feeling that either you win the Super Bowl or the season was a failure.

In those time spans

Past 15= Giants 7 play-offs 2 Super Bowl Victories; Eagles 8 play-offs 1 Super Bowl Loss

Past 20= Giants 9 Play-offs 2 Super Bowl Victories 1 Super Bowl Loss; Eagles 10 play-offs 1 Super Bowl Loss

So it may "seem" any way you want, but for the Eagles' single additional play-off appearance the Giants have made the Super Bowl 3 times as often and won it twice. So sure, lets hope the Giants emulate the Eagles so they can "seem" better. That would be very seemly of them. Maybe if the Giants manage to make it to the Super Bowl again by doing so they could ask the QB to puke on the field in homage to the great Eagles dynasty.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysready View Post

cmon man... how can any Giants fan subtract the two SB's?!?!?!? You sound liek an Eagle fan. I know better but still.....
                          An Eagles fan? Because I'm not a blind homer? Ok...

The truth is sometimes painful, I know, but again, look at the other seasons for the past 20 years, minus '07 and '11, and tell me with a straight face that they weren't mostly terrible and/or disappointing. Far too many missed playoff years, or first round exits when they did make it in. That is not a sign that things are working.
                          The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd - Bertrand Russell

Comment

I couldn't disagree more. It is my feeling that either you win the Super Bowl or the season was a failure.

In those time spans

Past 15= Giants 7 play-offs 2 Super Bowl Victories; Eagles 8 play-offs 1 Super Bowl Loss

Past 20= Giants 9 Play-offs 2 Super Bowl Victories 1 Super Bowl Loss; Eagles 10 play-offs 1 Super Bowl Loss

So it may "seem" any way you want, but for the Eagles' single additional play-off appearance the Giants have made the Super Bowl 3 times as often and won it twice. So sure, lets hope the Giants emulate the Eagles so they can "seem" better. That would be very seemly of them. Maybe if the Giants manage to make it to the Super Bowl again by doing so they could ask the QB to puke on the field in homage to the great Eagles dynasty.
                            If you feel that a season that doesn't end in a SB win is a failure, then this discussion is pointless. I dont see it that way at all

Comment

If you feel that a season that doesn't end in a SB win is a failure, then this discussion is pointless. I dont see it that way at all
                              So you completely ignore that part where I disprove your asertion that the Eagles have been more successful even by a lower standard of success? Would you trade the Giants' last 15 or 20 years for the Eagles? Is that single additional play-off appearance that much of a factor in your mind? Seems absurd to me but whatever.

Frankly, I don't understand the mindset of anybody who would think finishing a season, which has only one goal in the end, with anything less than that goal a success. You can come away from a season with some things to feel good about going forward, you can even enjoy a season where you don't lift the Lombardi, but to call it a success is baffling to me.

Comment

Shegals have destroyed us the last 3 or 4 years. Sucks.
                                1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007, 2011

Osi Umenyiora : " There's Nothing Like Being a NY GIANT ! "

Comment

Working...
                                X