X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can Giants find new running back in 2018? | Free agency preview

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...rt_river_index

Excerpt: "
    Alvin Kamara of the Saints and Kareem Hunt of the Chiefs didn't do their fellow NFL running backs any favors in 2017.
    As the two star running backs split Rookie of the Year honors across multiple platforms, it might have convinced teams that the next great running back is a mid-round draft pick away.
    Why chase the veteran free agent? Especially if you plan to go with a committee of rushers rather than one workhorse.

Where does that leave the new-look Giants, led by Pat Shurmur and general manager Dave Gettleman?
    Well, teams need to learn from their mistakes. And the new regime needs to learn from what got the previous regime fired.
    The Giants are projected to have more than $22.2 million in salary cap room and can easily free up another $10 million or so by moving on from select veterans. Running back isn't the top offseason need, but it's not far down the list.
    Here is a preview of what to expect this offseason:

2017 review

The Giants cut 2016 leading rusher Rashad Jennings in February and didn't do anything to replace him with a veteran, choosing to anoint second-year pro Paul Perkins as the starter before training camp began.
    The only new competition was rookie Wayne Gallman, joining other in-house holdovers Orleans Darkwa and third-down back Shane Vereen.
    It was a mistake because Perkins wound up behind all three of his teammates in rushing yards despite playing in 11 games. The Giants ranked No. 26 in rushing yards per game (96.8) and No. 28 in rushing touchdowns (six).
    How much of that lack of production is on the running backs? A good chunk, though the overpowered offensive line didn't help the situation.

Position priority: High

The Giants haven't had a 1,000-yard rusher since Ahmad Bradshaw in 2012 and only have ranked in the top 10 rushing offenses once since leading the NFL on the ground in 2008 with the trio of Bradshaw, Derrick Ward and Brandon Jacobs, the latter two of whom both topped 1,000 yards that season.
    Top running backs have been a staple of Shurmur's offenses, whether LeSean McCoy (Eagles), Stephen Jackson (Rams), a rare good year from Trent Richardson (Browns) or the committee with the Vikings in 2017." Read more...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

A Rb will do nothing without the O-line pushing Defenders out of the way . Quality O-line = 1500 yds team rushing stats.
    "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

I don't see how you pass over Barkley, if Cleveland doesn't take him #1. He's an instant upgrade for the entire offense, and having him on the field the same time as Engram and Beckham would drive teams nuts. If they're committing to Eli, with Webb waiting in the wings, QB to me gets pushed at least one year down the road, maybe two. That frees up round 2-4 for OL and LB/DE.

Comment

I don't think we need a RB.The only Rbs that would be an upgrade over perkins/gallman/dwarka would be Le'Veon Bell or Saquon Barkley. Everyone else would probably produce the same results with this o-line.

Comment

Originally posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
          I don't see how you pass over Barkley, if Cleveland doesn't take him #1. He's an instant upgrade for the entire offense, and having him on the field the same time as Engram and Beckham would drive teams nuts. If they're committing to Eli, with Webb waiting in the wings, QB to me gets pushed at least one year down the road, maybe two. That frees up round 2-4 for OL and LB/DE.
          I agree they need to take Barkley if he's there

Comment

It seems like the Giants always have a flavor of the month RB. Darkwa then Perkins, then Darkwa again now Gallman.

Comment

Trent is still available, so is Andre Williams...haha

I just want to bring in McKinnon to take Vareen spot, unless they plan on salvaging Paul Perkins career.....
              Long Live the King

Comment

Working...
              X