Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odell Beckham Jr to the Pats? Not as crazy as it seems...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odell Beckham Jr to the Pats? Not as crazy as it seems...

INDIANAPOLIS — In the NFL, all relationships have a price tag.

That’s why, even though the Patriots love wide receiver Brandin Cooks, they’ve got to be practical about their chances to retain him for the long haul. And if they don’t believe a contract extension is a viable option, they should consider an off-the-wall trade scenario that could benefit all parties involved.

And then there’s Beckham, who will likely become the highest-paid non-quarterback in NFL history a year from now. Considering the Giants have at times been frustrated with some of Beckham’s antics, there’s no certainty they’re the organization that will give him that well-paid distinction.

The Giants are in a complete rebuilding mode and appear ready to use the No. 2 overall pick on a quarterback. It’d behoove them to pair the youngster with a legitimate No. 1 receiver for several years, and Cooks could be their guy. By comparison, would the Giants want Beckham for $20 million annually or Cooks for $14 million?

The Patriots would then be in the same spot with Beckham as they are with Cooks, assuming they executed the trade under the guise that Cooks wasn’t in their long-term financial plans. The Pats would have a clear upgrade at receiver for one season, and they’d allow Beckham to walk in free agency in exchange for a third-round compensatory pick in the 2020 draft.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/p...as_you_d_think
    http://thegiantsboard.proboards.com/

We aren't in a comllete rebuild mode, though :O

Comment

Not ever gonna happen.
      "Sir, I was wondering: did you happen to catch the professional football contest on television last night?"
      "No...I didn't."
      "Oh it was most exhilarating: the Giants of NY took on the Packers of Green Bay and in the end the Giants triumphed by kicking an oblong ball made of pigskin through a big H. It was a most ripping victory."

Comment

I don't buy it. Why wouldn't the giants keep Beckham for one more year on his rookie contract even if they had no intention of paying him $20M per year after that, let him go in free agency and get a 3rd round pick as comp.

This is a non story. The only way the Giants would trade Beckham is if they got a LOT of value for him. Multiple early round picks including a 1st. No way this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_Blue_87 View Post
          We aren't in a comllete rebuild mode, though :O
          It might be a short rebuild but it is definitely a full on rebuild.

We fired our entire front office and coaching staff and have the 2nd pick. If that isn't a rebuild I don't know what is.

Comment

I doubt this trade would ever happen and I wouldn't want to see it happen either.
            One of these teams is not like the others

sigpic

Comment

The Giants will franchise Odell if no deal is in place and then the Pats can come get odell under the tag. I have no problem with that scenario.

Comment

The Patriots need to worry about how they lost to a Nick Foles led team and not us.

Comment

This is a ridiculous proposal, Odell won't get paid 20 a year and why the heck would we want to pay Cooks 14 a year? Whaaatt? I think 4yr/$70m is about right for Odell

Comment

While we are at it why not become the Jets and just get rid of everyone.
                    "Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad." Darrell Royal

Comment

Dumbest article that has ever been written

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnalyst View Post
                        INDIANAPOLIS — In the NFL, all relationships have a price tag.

That’s why, even though the Patriots love wide receiver Brandin Cooks, they’ve got to be practical about their chances to retain him for the long haul. And if they don’t believe a contract extension is a viable option, they should consider an off-the-wall trade scenario that could benefit all parties involved.

And then there’s Beckham, who will likely become the highest-paid non-quarterback in NFL history a year from now. Considering the Giants have at times been frustrated with some of Beckham’s antics, there’s no certainty they’re the organization that will give him that well-paid distinction.

The Giants are in a complete rebuilding mode and appear ready to use the No. 2 overall pick on a quarterback. It’d behoove them to pair the youngster with a legitimate No. 1 receiver for several years, and Cooks could be their guy. By comparison, would the Giants want Beckham for $20 million annually or Cooks for $14 million?

The Patriots would then be in the same spot with Beckham as they are with Cooks, assuming they executed the trade under the guise that Cooks wasn’t in their long-term financial plans. The Pats would have a clear upgrade at receiver for one season, and they’d allow Beckham to walk in free agency in exchange for a third-round compensatory pick in the 2020 draft.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/p...as_you_d_think
                        Seriously that is the dumbest trade I ever heard of!!! Now give us Belichick and a #2 and I would do it.

Comment

Ummmmmmm A straight up Brandon Cooks for Odell Beckham Jr. is what this article is suggesting ??? lmfao
                          Maybe Cooks and the patriots 1st round picks until 2021 !!!!

Comment

1st off, Giants aren't the Browns, we are not in complete rebuild mode. Fix the OL/run game & a couple of new additions on D & this team is a 10-11 win team for the next 2-3 yrs. Wow, it's like some of you have never seen a last place team go from worst to 1st in your life. 'Oh no, Giants went 3-13, we are doomed for the next 2-3-4 yrs". Total disregard for the facts that we have had no OL or run game for 5 yrs now thanks to our previous GM & were injury ravaged all last yr as well.

Comment

Trade him straight up for Belichick....sorry Pat but you've been demoted to Offensive Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach.

Comment

Working...
                              X